Which Console's Tony Hawk to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlenHaag, Sep 30, 2002.

1. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Bear with me for a moment.

I've now learned to play Tony Hawk with the PSX, the DC, and the Gamecube and am debating which version of Tony Hawk 4 to get this year. I just got done looking at some Xbox videos of the game and thought they were pretty impressive.

My question is this. For those of you Xbox'ers out there that have played Tony Hawk on the Xbox as well as other consoles, how would you rate the control for the game? Would anyone be able to recommend it for the other consoles?

I know people will think it weird, but after a while I got very used to the Gamecube controller for the game.

What do you have to say?

Glen

2. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

comedy Dreamcast option.........
    [​IMG]

3. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Is there going to be online XBox live play?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You already can play online with it through GameSpy I believe. XB Live support is planned for the next ver

6. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

Right now, I think the question for me is this:

Online play (which, at the moment, is only confirmed for PS2) vs. HDTV support (rumored for Xbox.)

If the Xbox version surfaces with 1080i support and no online play, and the PS2 version has online play but only 480i support, that makes it a tough decision. If the Xbox has only 480p support and no online play, I lean toward PS2. If Xbox has online play, I go there, if only for the marginally better graphics.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

What about the Gamecube version? Will that support higher res & online play?

-Dave

8. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Tony Hawk is difficult to play with the standard controller, but I find the "S" controller to be absolutely perfect for it. Best one I've played with, although I have never played the GC version.

I think the system link feature has been confirmed for the Xbox version of THPS4 (at least, Gamespot said as much), so at least you'd be able to play over Gamespy if Activision doesn't build in full Xbox Live support.

9. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The latest issue of Official Xbox Mag says Hawk 4 will be 720p!!!! Damnit! I can only do 480p and 1080i.

I am debating between which version to get as well. I want the online aspect of the PS2 version, but want the custom soundtracks and progressive support that Xbox offers. I faced a similar situation with Timesplitters 2.

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

xbox will also have custom soundtrack

11. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

I would avoid getting the Gamecube version, most reviews said it was damn hard to play with the GC control "+".

Sean

12. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

That was the thing for me. I didn't mind the Gamecube controller at all. After getting used to it, I was able to do all of the tricks without any issues.

Glen

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The latest issue of Official Xbox Mag says Hawk 4 will be 720p!!!! Damnit! I can only do 480p and 1080i.

Your set should internally scale that to 1080i

14. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

That would be HUGE if it worked out that way. I so hope it's true - I'm dying to try a true HDTV game...

15. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

16. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

17. Sean Moon

I have a Panasonic PT47WX49. I dont think it internally scales up to 1080i. The manual soes not say it does.

18. James_G

James_G Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting the PS2 version for a few reasons:

I'm not totally sold on Xbox Live! yet, but I already have a network adapter for the PS2. I won't need to buy anything else other than the game to hop online.

-Controller
    The PS2 controller is just flat-out better for the THPS games. I've tried Hawk 2.5 for the Xbox and it doesn't feel right-- and the tiny d-pad on the GC controller is useless. I need a strong, precise d-pad to perform double taps and quick directional combinations.

19. Sean Moon

The controller S perfroms great for Tony Hawk 3. The PS2 is the original, but The controller s for XBox is pretty even for hawk in my book

20. millercv

millercv Second Unit

I'm probably buying the Xbox version. I've got TH3 for PS2, TH2 for DC and TH2X for Xbox. I was just not that impressed with TH3s levels at all and hope things pick up with 4 (since they are using an Agressive Inline style non-time-limit game things are looking good).

It may be comparing apples and oranges but TH2x just looks sooooo much better than 3 on the ps2.

I've played TH3 on PS2s network adapter and TH2x over gamespy - they both worked about equally well. Honestly I won't be upset if it doesn't do XBox live since you seem to get more "adult" gamers on Gamespy since you do have to jump through some hoops to get it working.