What's new

What's up with The Fifth Element? (1 Viewer)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Okay, I rented this a few years back and hated it the first time I watched it. For reasons unknown, I saw it a second time and kind of liked it. Anyway, as of today I own the Superbit version and can't get enough of this movie. It has totally grown on me. My question is why? What is it that I like so much about this film? What's happened to me?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I really like the first act but, beginning with the blue meat-haired singer it starts to lose me. I love the guy who tries to burgle Willis' pad, using the hallway model helmet - classic stuff! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

KyleK

Second Unit
What is it that I like so much about this film?
Milla Jovovich?:D

This is actually one of my faves, though I can't quite explain it's appeal. It's a love it or hate it type of movie: there are those who can tolerate Chris Tucker, and those who can't. Oh yeah, and Milla Jovovich is
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Kyle

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
How old are you? It has nipples in a PG-13. Those 13-16-year-olds love that.
:p) I'm 46 and a woman and I love The Fifth Element. Milla is absolutely gorgeous (and a great singer and wonderful person in real life) and I adore her as LeeLoo.

What's with The Fifth Element? It's a lot of fun. Nothing more, nothing less. There's nothing wrong with liking fun movies.

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Vickie, it's a very lighthearted action/comedy/romance period piece. It has just enough of everything to keep everybody entertained without taking itself too serioulsy. It's one of those rare fantastic "popcorn" movies where you don't worry too much about the plot or the writing and just let the movie take you on a ride. I thouroughly enjoy this movie and recommend it to everyone. As Cousin Eddie would say, "It's a quality item."

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I fell in love with this movie when it was in theaters, this was the first movie ever I became a huge fan of one that I got to see in theaters, first were the Alien trilogy-at-the-time, and I saw Fifth Element a personal record of 7 times in theaters! It's just so infinetly rewatchable, and colorful and so well realized, so much going on, so much to love, it's like an upside down mirror of Blade Runner, two best Sci-Fi movies ever made so far.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
The first time I saw it I liked it but didn't love it. Tucker almost ruined it for me. Since then I have seen it countless times and it's one of my favorites. I guess it's a combination of things--great visuals, Milla, cool soundtrack, Milla, fun story, Milla. I like Bruce Willis a lot too. For some reason Chris Tucker doesn't even annoy me too much anymore.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I liked this the first time I saw it, but I know many people who did not.

I liked it because it is unusual, offbeat. I went in expecting to see a traditional scifi movie, and it threw me. Personally, I love surprises in movies. I love seeing things I haven't seen done before.

The reasons I liked it are the same reasons many didn't. On repeat viewing, however, the strangeness becomes familiar, and those who didn't like the off-beat presentation the first time can enjoy all that the film has to offer, in the proper frame of reference.

The Fifth Element is a movie that dared to be different. That is, unfortunately, a risky venture. I wish more films would take the risk.

-Scott

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I actually love the film from start to finish, including Tucker. This is one of the few film (also including Friday) that I think he was well chosen in. I also really like the set and costume design is pretty fresh and doesn't feel derivative.

A good, fun, adventurous action/sci-fi film. A rare treat.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I saw this movie only once when I was working for an ad agency where we did the marketing for the 5th Element. I was a junior copywriter that was supposed to come up with some copy for the poster. There was a lot of secrecy involved with the project at the time and they screened the rough cut for us one night after work so we could get a better sense of the movie. The visual effects were barely complete, only crude animatics were in place. Regardless, I pretty much disliked the movie after seeing it. I usually like Luc Besson's films, but this one just got on my nerves. I think it was Chris Tucker's character that did it for me. It reminded me of the half-ass Flash Gordon movie from 1980. Now I look at that movie and think, 'corny fun'.

So maybe I should see 5th Element again for the hell of it and maybe I'll have a change of mind, but I don't see myself liking Tucker's character or the blue chick with hoses coming out of her head any more than I did when I initially saw the movie.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I love Tucker's performance in this film. It is so outrageous, I crack up every time I see it!

Like Vicky said, this is just a fun movie. Add to that, some over the top stuff from my favorite over the top guy, Gary Oldman, the outrageous performance from Tucker, Jovovich looking great, and Willis being cool...and you have something worth watching multiple times. Plus, it's an extremely bold visual film.

I just love popping it in now and then and watching parts of it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've always loved this film, even Chris Tucker, who is supposed to be annoying and wierd. I just love his Prince meets Michael Jackson role. I also have a lot of love for Gary Oldman for his Perot-esk mogul.

What this movie has is great set design and just enough off-beatness to entertain. It isn't terribly deep, but it doesn't need to be.

Jason

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Saw this at the Cineramadome in Hollywood and loved it. Bought the first DVD, then replaced it with the Superbit.
I love the guy who tries to burgle Willis' pad, using the hallway model helmet - classic stuff!
That too is my favorite scene! Gimme the cash! BTW, that guy is the romantic interest in Amelie, and is also a pretty distinguished filmmaker since the 90's. Probably a good friend of Besson's and I think it's a classic cameo! :D

Lucky for me it's not loaded...
What do you mean it's not loaded?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks