What's new

A few words about…™ Wife versus Secretary – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wife versus Secretary is an interesting 1935 production (released in '36).

Clark Gable was ascending in importance at M-G-M -he'd been around since 1923.

Likewise, Myrna Loy had made her mark in the previous couple of years with Manhattan Melodrama and a small marital comedy/drama entitled The Thin Man. This would be her fourth film with Mr. Gable out of seven.

Jean Harlow had, likewise, risen to stardom, taking billing between Gable and Loy, and one can only imagine what her future films might have been had she not passed away after only four more appearances, in 1937. She was 26.

Wife versus Secretary was her fifth film with Mr. Gable, and there would be one more, her final, Saratoga.

The film is based upon a misunderstanding. Harlow goes on a business trip with her boss (Gable), and happens to pick up the phone in his hotel room with Loy calling.

A film with the lightest and most simple of premises that beautifully holds the test of time.

For those collecting careers of their favorite actors, you'll find that James Stewart has the role of Harlow's boyfriend.

Unlike Our Dancing Daughters and Chips, Wife versus Secretary has not a thing to be concerned about when it comes to the long-term history of the elements.

It's derived from a beautifully produced safety fine grain from the original camera negative. It's magnificent in every regard.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Highly Recommended

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

RAH

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The role James Stewart plays in this film is almost the same character in plays in Ziegfeld Girl only in Ziegfeld Girl he is top billed . A little more happens to the character in Ziegfeld Girl but not much more and the endings are different.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
jean-1936-film-Wife_vs_Secretary-aff-01 - Photo de Jean Harlow - Divine Marilyn Monroe.jpg
7d3b4e23f31789e717d124aa93ba07d0.jpg
8f68d5588c23ac5db4c962ffe7ddbf5d.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
you'll find that James Steward has the role of Harlow's boyfriend.
I particularly liked the film where Cathryn Hepburn and Kerry Grant joined James Steward in his Osker-winning role.

[in gleefully fond rebuttal for the many Katharine fans who’ve had their mistyping knuckles rapped over the years]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I particularly liked the film where Cathryn Hepburn and Kerry Grant joined James Steward in his Osker-winning role.

[in gleefully fond rebuttal for the many Katharine fans who’ve had their mistyping knuckles rapped over the years]
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I can't even respond to this.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
He-man, Gable, a noble Harlow, and exquisite Loy. What a triumvirate of superstars as only MGM at its zenith could command. Stewart doesn't make much of a splash in this one. Point taken. He doesn't have to. The tale of a loyal man wronged by misdirection in his marriage, but ultimately exonerated by the only woman who appreciates his integrity - his secretary - is the stuff of dreams. Solid acting, great fun and gorgeous to look at. In the words of the Gershwins..."who could ask for anything more?"

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m hopeful that this won’t be overlooked by readers who may be unaware,

It’s a treat!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

It’s a treat!
Watched this yesterday. The best rendition thus far of Ray June's genius on Blu-Ray, the glittering and gleaming manifestation of the MGM look. I especially like the way he lit Jean Harlow, turning that physiognomy, that platinum vision, into something resolutely human and identifiable. Harlow in this film was a real revelation for me. Though the script was a bit predictable --I attribute the pedestrian plot machinations to Norman Krasna, and the very strongly written women characters and their often incisive dialogue to Alice Duer Miller--Clarence Brown's direction made it very human, focusing on moments of intimacy, as well as thoughtfulness. There's a shot of Jean Harlow walking down an empty corridor, where you watch her thinking and feeling something through, with the light around her almost transcendent, that seems like a precursor of a similar image of Ingrid Bergman in Rossellini's Europa 51, made 14 years later. (Brown, in my view a very underrated and subtle director who spent his career at MGM, did Flesh and the Devil with Garbo, and later Ah, Wilderness, The Yearling and Intruder in the Dust.) Yes, some of Wife vs Secretary was very funny, but it was the beating hearts of the people underneath that humor and charm that made it stand out for me. It was much better than I expected. This film doesn't have a great reputation. Frank Nugent, the NY Times reviewer, who I deeply admire as a film critic, as well as the screenwriter of The Quiet Man and The Searchers, thought it was an expertly made but superficial and unsatisfying example of MGM gloss. This may be one of the few times we disagree.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

It’s a treat!
I’m unaware. I might have to order this one. I don’t know Harlow’s or Loy’s work
(I’m far behind most of you guys in the classic films category).

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I’m unaware. I might have to order this one. I don’t know Harlow’s or Loy’s work
Blind purchase it, my friend, immediately followed by Dinner at Eight, and all of the Thin Man movies. Would wish for much more Harlow on Blu from WAC, including Personal Property, Reckless, China Seas and Red Dust. As for Loy, we need The Great Ziegfeld, I Love You Again, Love Crazy and Manhattan Melodrama.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Jeffrey, very different in style, but excellent actresses. Both worth checking out if you have an interest in the classic/studio era. They star together in MGM's Libeled Lady (1936) released the same year as Wife Vs. Secretary which is another wonderful WAC Blu-ray release.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just ordered from Amazon. Hopefully I’ll get to it in the near future. So many films in my collection, so little time…

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Watched this last night night. Perhaps I had my expectations set too high. After it was over, I thought, well that was a silly piece of fluff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks