What's new

What's up with The Fifth Element? (1 Viewer)

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
It was Gary Oldman all the way for me! And Milla of course (hubba);) I had not paid attention to the film and caught it in the middle on HBO one day, and was expecting a by-the-numbers Sci-Fi movie... I was blown away by the comedy and style.

Now it is one of my favorite movies

:D

Bill S.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Chris Tucker is one bad mother-(shut yo mouth!) :D I think the characters that he's played in every movie that I've seen are just plain awesome, and Ruby Rhod was absolutely no exception.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Add me to the list of folks who loves the movie and might not be 100% sure why... Willis, Oldmam, Milla, and yes, even Tucker are all fantastic in it.

Back in the day (pre-DVD), it was one of 8 VHS tapes I owned (didn't buy many movies then). Of course now, that tape has been replaced by thet Superbit release. It's just a stylish fun flick, and very quotable to boot.

mmmmmm, Milla... ;)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I HATED this movie when I first saw it. Now, I love it. I think I was in a particularly bad mood that day.

For some reason though, I think this movie just plays better on the small screen.

Michael J K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
It has been playing regularly this past month on one of the movie channels. I think the movie is great except for the performances of Chris Tucker and Milla Jovovich. Most of the time Chris Tucker is incomprehensible! Very annoying. Milla's Leeloo is just downright terrible. Her acting certainly has improved. I really hate the lanuguage she speaks.

Having said that, I really enjoyed Gary Oldman's performance and of course good old Bilbo Baggins himself (Ian Holm) is great as always. Bruce Willis is pretty good as well. I like the way he negotiates! Also, any movie that casts "Tiny" Lister as the President works for me! I quess that is why I always seem to watch it whenever it is on, despite the grating performances of Milla and Chris Tucker. Just my $.02

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Milla's Leeloo is just downright terrible. Her acting certainly has improved.
Not sure what was wrong with her acting here - I thought she was pretty terrific - and I don't actually think she's all that attractive, so don't accuse me of thinking with my nethers!:D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Didn't like the film. Sci-fi/fantasy, with some important exceptions, doesn't do it for me. This movie isn't one of the exceptions.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I like this movie too. Mila is as fetching as any woman I've ever seen in a film, Bruce Willis does the job, Gary Oldman is terrific, Tucker is funny, and the set design is just great. A fun time.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
I like it for the reasons everyone else stated, but there's one more...

Luc Besson obviously thought this universe out since he's supposedly been inventing it since his teens, but above all else what sucks me into The Fifth Element is that it takes place in a fully realized world. I believe in these places when I'm watching.

I also love how he makes the future relate to our world -- the space shuttle trip to Phloston is beautiful, and yet Luc makes it just as mundane and tacky as a trip to any overcrowded Earth-bound tourist trap. Which then makes it even more appealing in some bizarre fashion. I absolutely love the guys under the plane talking about parasites and refueling. It shows that Luc has given thought to every part of his future, and those two working-class cameos does more for the film than any funny Chris Tucker line. I can completely imagine living there.

On the flipside, when I finally saw Coruscant in The Phantom Menace, I couldn't help but feel that The Fifth Element's highly detailed city scenes completely stole its thunder. The city fared much better in Clones though.

Anyhow, I love how Besson takes aspects of our everyday life and makes it exotic and realistic enough that you want to live that life instead. Getting an egg roll should be the same situation whether at a roadside stand or at a sitdown restaurant, but when you get it from a dirigible/junk outside your miles-high apartment cubicle, I am so there!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Does anybody know if this was done on purpose, or was it an accident but Besson decided to keep on filming? It's when the Father and Leeloo go to Dallas's apartment for the shuttle tickets:

"I'm really sorry that I have to resort to these methods, Mr. Willis."

"Dallas."

"D-D-Dallas."

Claude Brault

Auditioning
I thought that was the best moment of the film.

"I'm really sorry that I have to resort to these methods, Mr. Willis."

Whether it was a mistake or not...I am happy it was left in...:emoji_thumbsup:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I think Mr. Besson leaves flubs in that are just funny. Like the scene described before w/ the mugger and his creative hat: where Bruce Willis is just on the verge of laughter. I'm sure that wasn't scripted, and some directors would have shot it over, but it was kept by Mr. Besson and I think works well in the context of this film.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I remember at a theater ads made mention of Ian Holms saying "Mr. Willis" and Dallas correcting him. However, in listening to the movie and with the use of subtitles, he actually says "Mr. Wallace."

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Gary Oldman's usual over the top villian that you love to hate and would like to see dead.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Gary Oldman's usual over the top villian that you love to hate and would like to see dead.
Actually he was like a role model for me. :b
His speech about the little cleaning robots and the chain of life was so right and true.

"Fire one million!" :angry: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks