What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Goodbye, Mr. Chips – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If one were to have asked Freddie Young what his favorite film was in his long career, the answer might be a surprise.

As it isn't a Hollywood studio-bound film, but rather a full-on UK production, the assignment went to Mr. Young, who was with M-G-M UK - and Chips is his favorite of all his work.

I'll begin another graph with the word "if."

If 1939 is truly the best year for motion pictures, Goodbye, Mr. Chips is one of the top films produced in 1939. I've always equated this film with John Ford's The Long Gray Line - and they're both superb films. Some may find them overly sentimental. I've never seen it that way. I love them both.

Chips was an extremely important film in 1939. Extremely popular. Extremely printed. To a point at which the elements became rather ragged. I've not seen a great print in aeons- literally fourth and fifth generation elements.

Fortunately for all of us the WB archival techs were able to ferret out an old nitrate dupe, which is the source of the new 4k scan.

Since many people have received Rancho Notorious, word arose that there were shocks as to the quality. That's my position on Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Suffice to say that it's one of the greatest films ever made, and belongs front and center in everyone's library.

For those who may be seeing this film for the first time. I'll express my supreme jealousy in advance.

Robert Donat is sublime and Greer Garson quite wonderful.

Image – 3.75

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Last watched at MoMA's MGM retro in '74. Wonderful film. I have my copy and will watch next month after my return from Houston.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This is a wonderful film about "family" and although in both cases (Mr Chips and the Long Gray Line with Tyrone Power and the compliment of the Ford clan of Maurene O Hara, Victor McLaglen, Ward Bond, among others) at the heart of both stories is that search for Family. In Mr Chips he was single, with no children other than his students. And Marty Mare and his wife were unable to have children of thier own, so that adopted the thier "Boys" at West Point.
But in both cases, they were given a sence of redemption of thier lives by all of those that they helped along the way.
Is it corny, YOU BET!! Both of these heart warming films do what they were made to do. Like the scene in "Field of Dreams", asking his father for "a catch". Gets me every time!!

John Skoda

Second Unit
I think it was designed as more of a vehicle for Petula Clark, but Peter always does a great job!!
Actually no. I just reread the CHIPS parts of Matthew Kennedy's ROADSHOW! book, and over the years there were several directors, casts, and even two scores involved before the movie got made, and Clark was a fairly late addition. The one constant was Terrence Rattigan's script, which everyone liked.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just watched this new blu-ray. PQ seems about a B+ to me, which is very good considering.

Although I like this movie a a lot, I like even better one miniseries and another movie that were both surely influenced by it—To Serve Them All My Days (1981) and Mr. Holland's Opus (1995). But this movie still has considerable power all these years later.

Goodby Mr. Chips 2 page.jpeg
Mr chips text.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Just watched this new blu-ray. PQ seems about a B+ to me, which is very good considering.

Although I like this movie a a lot, I like even better one miniseries and another movie that were both surely influenced by it—To Serve Them All My Days (1981) and Mr. Holland's Opus (1995). But this movie still has considerable power all these years later.

View attachment 173533 View attachment 173534
Interesting point re Mr. Holland and his opus.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
The film looks beautiful indeed.

Funny thing with the trailer - an old interlaced standard-def transfer granted, but the things looked a bit on the squished side to me. I made screen caps direct from the disc - the feature AR came out 1.37, the trailer 1.45.

Fun to see and hear Alexander Woollcott in it, even if it makes him look even more pudgy.

Last edited:

HarleyDog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis Haney
For those who may be seeing this film for the first time. I'll express my supreme jealousy in advance.
Count me as one of the fortunate ones. How I got to age 64 without having ever seen this wonderful film I'll never know. I only knew Robert Donat from his final performance in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness but I will have to seek out his other film roles. Truly remarkable how he was able to age in the role so convincingly. And I've enjoyed Greer Garson in other films but she was positively luminous here.

Not ashamed to admit I teared up at the end.

All reactions:
2.9K2.9K

128 comments
3.9K shares

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106...DXiycpFoDy5TCMukeUBOZdXWnwb4268&__tn__=<<,P-R

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Count me as one of the fortunate ones. How I got to age 64 without having ever seen this wonderful film I'll never know. I only knew Robert Donat from his final performance in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness but I will have to seek out his other film roles. Truly remarkable how he was able to age in the role so convincingly. And I've enjoyed Greer Garson in other films but she was positively luminous here.

All reactions:
2.9K2.9K

128 comments
3.9K shares

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1061387807708005/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=1578910675955713&__cft__[0]=AZVmf477gqaTwQrqIQge9rGnex74M7-sLmkkM6MJGVm_o9tcKFKt-IxzLSvAUBSoXuRAFru43QYlNVv5TWo3OlcfveV6-HQrgmSK4KcWL7L_-PigUppVYxN4vDpmlcv175sSdNV8O1D9GaDxWz9ZN0GeBhCfqj9TYcowDXiycpFoDy5TCMukeUBOZdXWnwb4268&__tn__=<<,P-R
Nice, my introduction to Robert Donat was his take on "the Count of Monte Cristo" a great film!!

Attachments

• 1916166.jpg
    1916166.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 31

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

All reactions:
2.9K2.9K

128 comments
3.9K shares

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1061387807708005/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=1578910675955713&__cft__[0]=AZVmf477gqaTwQrqIQge9rGnex74M7-sLmkkM6MJGVm_o9tcKFKt-IxzLSvAUBSoXuRAFru43QYlNVv5TWo3OlcfveV6-HQrgmSK4KcWL7L_-PigUppVYxN4vDpmlcv175sSdNV8O1D9GaDxWz9ZN0GeBhCfqj9TYcowDXiycpFoDy5TCMukeUBOZdXWnwb4268&__tn__=<<,P-R
Have you not seen The 39 Steps?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Freddie Young told me that halfway through Sixth Happiness, Mr. Donat pulled him aside, informed him of a health problem, and told him to make certain that he had all the footage needed to complete the film without him. Anything that could be shot over someone else’s shoulder could wait.

Donat apparently told no one else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks