What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Goodbye, Mr. Chips – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I wouldn't call it terrible. Just too long with a score that (with only two noteworthy songs) doesn't do it justice.
I like both versions. I tend to view musical remakes as separate entities due to the great difference in genre conventions. The Herbert Ross film was no LOST HORIZON (though even that hugely flawed musical has nostalgic appeal for me). David Shopman, in his excellent books THE GREAT MOVIE STARS describes it as "effortlessly superior to the original " (and he is often harsh in his judgments).
It is long, but the original Road Show cut works better than the insensitively edited shorter version, which was more a case of studio politics than anything else. It's plus factors are a great, Oscar-nominated performance by Peter O'Toole; a shift in period to 'between the wars' which ends the narrative in 1969 with a good screenplay by Terence Rattigan; a different yet touching interpretation of the role of the wife by Petula Clsrke, who sings wonderfully in a character we get to know better as she does not die as early ;and superb scoring and orchestrions by John Williams, which makes what I believe to be an underrated score sound even better than it is.
I admire Donat and Garson in the classic original and he was very worthy of his award. There are moments when the depiction of students becomes a tad "precious" for my sensibilities (I am a teacher, so know the truth!), however I forgive this due to the era in which it was produced. (I like BOYS' TOWN, but that is dated in the same manner)
In short, I recommend seeking out the musical version and viewing it without prejudice based on the reviews or opinions of others, even my own.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm a fan of all three "Chips" — the original book, the 1939 film and the 1969 musical. All three handle the sentiment beautifully. I have to confess that the part that got me most was in the 1969 film, as his new wife is in the car running away to save his career, Chips leaps onto a bus and shouts, "Apollo has willed it!" And Intermission.

But I read and watch all three.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
That scene in the 69 version gets to me every time.
I'm a fan of all three "Chips" — the original book, the 1939 film and the 1969 musical. All three handle the sentiment beautifully. I have to confess that the part that got me most was in the 1969 film, as his new wife is in the car running away to save his career, Chips leaps onto a bus and shouts, "Apollo has willed it!" And Intermission.

But I read and watch all three.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks