What's new

What's up with The Fifth Element? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Armageddon has a jump over the TFE at least in 2 ways

1- Armageddon lacks Chris Tucker
2- Armageddon lacks crackheaded French costume design, which also was a major pus-spitting boil on the ass of the Dune miniseries with the Reverend Mothra and her cowgirl entorague, and the pastry chef Saudukar. Thankfully the director of Children of Dune wised up to how freaking idiotic they all looked :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
2- Armageddon lacks crackheaded French costume design
I cannot comment about the Dune movie or TV miniseries because I have never seen any of them. I didn't think the costuming in TFE was all that bad. It certainly was more inventive that anything in ARMAGEDDON. The term costuming has to be used pretty loosely for ARMAGEDDON.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Chris Tucker and the costuming fit the style of The Fifth Element perfectly, which in my opinion is a much greater film than the drivel that Armageddon tried to be. I mean for one thing, the space station scene, honestly...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Another difference is that Armageddon knew it sucked and had fun with it

People keep complaining about Michael Bay movies, have you ever seen the man claim to be, or ever have made high art?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
People keep complaining about Michael Bay movies, have you ever seen the man claim to be, or ever have made high art?
No, but I have never heard him claim that he aspires to make lowest common denominator trash, either.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Would you include Lloyd Kaufmann in that assertion??
Okay
Almost noone :)

.(Although I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't think his films suck). ;)

I like his reference to his film TERROR FIRMA as his "latest TROMA disgrace". :laugh: Although that must be an old film by now, since he is advertising a DVD collector's edition for TERROR FIRMA 2.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Like Armageddon, Troma's films suck on purpose, and they have a lot of fun doing it

Michael Bay makes huge budget explosion filled stupid movies, and he's one of the best people in the world at doing that. And they're great stupid movies. The only real difference between Kaufmann and Bay are the size of their checkbook and a bit of oozing goo :)

A couple of things:

I gotta go with the "Wallace" crowd. It feels strongly like a scripted "flub" and fits his character's focus on non-worldly concerns.

Story-wise, the threat made no sense and was, to me, the weakest part of the movie. In a way, it's never explained: what is it going to do? Why is it heading to Earth in particular and how is it threatening all life in the galaxy?

The "Heavy Metal" influences were most likely due to the participation of Jean 'Moebius' Giraud.

And just to clear up a minor point regarding orbits that really has nothing to do with the movie--even if the temple was located precisely on the equator, the speed of an orbit depends on its distance from the center of the Earth. The greater the distance, the less the speed. The altitude where the speed matches the turning of the earth (known as geosynchronous orbit) is 22,236 miles. At 62 miles the orbital speed would be gigantic. Needless to say, there's no way that it could appear to hover over a single point at that altitude. I imagine that at 62 miles it would be traveling so fast through the atmosphere that it might form a ring of fire and the roar of its passage would probably render everyone within a few hundred miles of the equator quite deaf (if the shock wave didn't pulverize them). I can't imagine what its mass would be doing to Earth's rotation (speeding it up or slowing it down, depending on the direction), let alone our own orbit around the sun, but even if you ignore the fact that the atmospheric friction would be slowing it down, it probably couldn't make it around the world too many times before it completely burned up, filling our atmosphere with enough crud to kill off the few survivors.

Now that would have been a spectacular ending!

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks