What's new

What's really necessary? (1 Viewer)

XploreN

Auditioning
Real Name
Wilson
OK, I'll admit it - It's been 20 years since I upgraded my home audio and video systems. But I have to say, my 36" JVC analog CRT TV is still working great! Unfortunately my monstrous old Fischer amp won't power up any more so I decided to upgrade everything. Started with a 3D plasma and BluRay(also 3D), and am now trying to decide on a AV receiver. This is where I get really confused. I've read the comments that say I need a reciever with 3D pass-through. This really limits my choices. I have also read that many recievers must be on in order to pass through HDMI data. I don't like that idea. What I am wondering is will these issues really affect they way I want to use my system? If there's anyone that can help - these are the things I really care about:

Looking for a decent receiver

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd start with the Pioneer 1120. JR.com has it for $489 shipped. Also the Onkyo 708. Crutchfield.com has it on sale for $599 shipped. The Denon/1911 might do what you need it to do and can often be found for around $500.

I don't know if these will do everything you want them to do (your list is pretty long and a lot of it is stuff I really don't know much about.) so download the manuals of the ones you're interested in and give them a good going over.

Wireless speakers aren't usually recomended very often around here. The sound quality might not be that good yet.

"Heck, I'll even give you a dual-dubbing cassette deck! "

No you won't!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by XploreN
Like the idea of wireless speakers - will be using surround

I'll second what Gene said. Wireless speakers seem like a good idea, but they really aren't totally "wireless" and they generally aren't great speakers to begin with. Have you looked at Dolby's recommended speaker placement for 5.1 and 7.1 systems? You can check it out here. Many folks don't realize that for a 5.1 system, the surround speakers are actually placed to the sides of the listening position. This makes most "wireless" systems even more useless, since each of the surround speakers generally has to be connected (by speaker wire) to a single receiver unit (which also needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet).

There are MANY ways to conceal speaker wire for surround speakers.

Will be connecting a gaming system

Which gaming system? If you have a nintendo Wii or any other gaming system that does NOT support HDMI, a nice feature to have in a receiver is "analog to digital upconversion". This enables you to connect all your sources using any type of video connection (composite, component, etc) and still run only a single HDMI cable out from receiver to TV. This effectively makes your TV a monitor and vastly simplifies setup and operation...

.. which brings us to your last point:

As mentioned - do not want to have reciever on for everything.

I always like to ask people WHY they feel this way (this very point has suddenly come up a lot this week). Most of the usual arguments don't hold much water when we suggest investing in a decent universal remote that can easily operate the entire system (check out the Harmony series by Logitech - basic models start at $30).

Setting up a system to use either the receiver/speakers or the TV speakers is WAY more complicated to achieve and operate than one might think. Most folks here find that once you start listening to good surround sound through nice speakers, there's little point in going back to crummy TV speakers. Besides - you're about to invest some money in a nice system, you might as well use it, right?

As for receiver models, I've been an Onkyo owner since about 1996. Love them. The 708 is a nice model, but compared to the 608 or even the 508, it doesn't offer anything more of any consequence. The analog-to-digital upconversion feature starts with the 608, but other than that, I don't see much of a reason to spring for the 708.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Wilson,

Things have changed since the days of your old Fisher. The best way to describe the change is that today your receiver becomes the hub of your entire system. It is where all of the connections for of all of your devices are made. Inputs from your Cable Box, DVD, BluRay, gaming devices, and even your PC are made. In this configeration your TV becomes nothing much more than a monitor and will be connected to your TV with one HDMI cable. Because all of your equipement is connected to your receiver you can see the need to have it turned on for any of your devices to work.

Believe me onece you hear the poor quality of the speakers that come in todays new large screen TV's you are going to want your receiver and surround speakers on all the time.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"As for receiver models, I've been an Onkyo owner since about 1996. Love them. The 708 is a nice model, but compared to the 608 or even the 508, it doesn't offer anything more of any consequence. The analog-to-digital upconversion feature starts with the 608, but other than that, I don't see much of a reason to spring for the 708."

I'm the other way around ).

I just picked up a Pioneer Elite vsx-32 (pretty much the same as the 1120) and I'm quite impressed with what this thing has to offer. Almost got the H/K 2600 instead but got such a great deal on the 32 that I couldn't pass it up.

In all reality, just about any new receiver he ends up with will be a big improvement over what he must have now.

XploreN

Auditioning
Real Name
Wilson
Jason,

Thanks for the reply. With regard to the speaker channel switching - I currently have outdoor speakers that I'd want to send audio to - without necessarily having the inside speakers on. My old reciever had A-B switching to accomplish this. It would be ideal to be able to have one source on to the inside speakers, and another to the outdoor ones. (ex - TV on inside, radio outside). Your point about the wireless speakers is well taken, and also ties into this, as I'm planning to add another set of outdoor speakers onto the other end of the house. It would save a lot of hassle if I could at least do these speakers wirelessly as the cable run is a tough one. As for my perceived need to pass HDMI passively (reciever off) - this goes back to the way my old system handled low volume levels. If we wanted to watch tv at very low volume it just couldn't be done with surround on - and, it was a real pain to turn on (two remotes / switching inputs & modes etc.) From your reply, and others, it seems much easier now to operate through a univeral remote and that common code thing that ties all connected devices together. But what about low level listenening?

BTW - the gaming system is Xbox 360, which reportedly does support HDMI.

Thanks again.

XploreN

Auditioning
Real Name
Wilson
Jason,

Thanks for the reply. With regard to the speaker channel switching - I currently have outdoor speakers that I'd want to send audio to - without necessarily having the inside speakers on. My old reciever had A-B switching to accomplish this. It would be ideal to be able to have one source on to the inside speakers, and another to the outdoor ones. (ex - TV on inside, radio outside). Your point about the wireless speakers is well taken, and also ties into this, as I'm planning to add another set of outdoor speakers onto the other end of the house. It would save a lot of hassle if I could at least do these speakers wirelessly as the cable run is a tough one. As for my perceived need to pass HDMI passively (reciever off) - this goes back to the way my old system handled low volume levels. If we wanted to watch tv at very low volume it just couldn't be done with surround on - and, it was a real pain to turn on (two remotes / switching inputs & modes etc.) From your reply, and others, it seems much easier now to operate through a univeral remote and that common code thing that ties all connected devices together. But what about low level listenening?

BTW - the gaming system is Xbox 360, which reportedly does support HDMI.

Thanks again.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Wilson,

For your outdoor speakers you are going to want to look for a receiver that has a Zone 2 feature. Most of them will allow you either connect your outdoor speakers directly to the receiver or to a Zone 2 line out to a separate power amp. Zone 2 will allow you to listen to what is playing on Zone 1 or any other source that is connected to your receiver and allow you to control the volume independently. I have a cheep wireless system connected to my Zone 2 line out so I know it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks