What's new

Some receivers that cant use B speakers with surround? (1 Viewer)

kadefitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Kade
So I have a set of front speakers, rear speakers, and a center, all connected to my Sony D515, and I just purchased an active subwoofer (JBL sub135) today and it (along with all of my speakers) works fine, but I cannot get it to play sound with the rest of my system. And upon reading the manual for this model reciever, I see that it says "When using the speakers for the surround system be sure to connect the speakers to speaker terminals A. The speakers connected to speaker terminals B cannot be used for the surround system. Is there a way around this? Or do I need a new receiver.

If I set surround mode on my receiver to Simulate (with A & B down), it gets the rears to work with the subwoofer, but nothing else. And then upon unpressing B the front speakers come back. I am thoroughly confused as to what is going on and what my best course of action is...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well according to the manual for the Sony D515 (a VERY OLD receiver which only does Pro-Logic mind you), the only speakers with inputs for a "Terminal B" are front left and front right. The surround (which is mono) and Center channel have their own set of inputs.

1664232047537.png

Also this does not support a subwoofer as low frequency channels did not become part of the spec until 1995.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m confused about what you’re trying to do.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I’m confused about what you’re trying to do.
What it sounds like he trying to do is fudge a 5.1 using a 30 year old pro-logic reciever and a 22 year old Subwoofer+5 speaker set.

Now looking at the JBL manual it is possible to get a 4.1 using low pass crossover by running speaker wire from the receiver to the subwoofer's "IN" clips and then connecting your left and right front speakers directly into the sub's "OUT" clips. Center and the surround channels go in straight into the receiver. But again this is just Dolby pro-logic and no LFE is being sent over and the surround is still mono.

Basically this is a home theater designed for laserdisc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks