What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (8 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Day 3: 3 Noirvember 2021

72104_large.jpg
94586_large.jpg

Todays Double Feature Presentations

4. (Olive Films) First Time Viewing

Filmakers Releasing Organization, Inc. (Release Date: Apr 1955) Director: Lewis R. Foster, Cinematographer: Russell Metty

5. Riot in Cell Block 11( The Criterion Collection) First Time Viewing

Allied Artists Pictures Corp. (Release Date: Feb 28, 1954) Director: Don Siegel, Cinematographer: Russell Harlan

Last night's double feature was diametrically opposites in stories about prison and in some way prisoners.

First off, we have 1955's, Crashout a story about escape convicts trying to get away from the prison and the ruthlessness that these men have not only towards society and the guards, but also towards each other as well in their pursuit to survive and move on after prison life with a solid cast including William Bendix, Arthur Kennedy, William Talman (In the furthest thing from Hamilton Burger).

Personally for me what I find interesting about noir style filmmaking, is that you don't actually need the star to be a leading man say like a Robert Mitchum or Kirk Douglas, but instead can gather an ensemble of great character actors, with a solid script put them together and something just gels correctly. During their prison break William Bendix get shot but still manage is to make it to the hideout area where he told the others that they would hide out until the manhunt was over.
Suffering from fever and blood loss, he makes a deal with them to share his stolen money that landed him in prison with the other five individuals. Now this becomes some of a great escape style film with them trying to work their way to where the money is while not getting caught. While also dealing with the insecurities of each other, leading to the numbers dwindling down. As members are killed off.

Good little action yarn. not too long, well scripted and well-acted.

Bendix's character is a ruthless hateful man, which is only balanced by Arthur Kennedy's more even tempered, thinking thief. Till the ending when there is a showdown between these two how does it end up,

you'll have to watch it, but it's worth it.

OK so this brings us to Don Siegel’s, Riot in Cellblock 11, and once again it's character actors that drive this film. With a great starring turn by Neville Brand. As the cons have had enough of the abusiveness inside the prison system the only thing that they're asking for is the same things that the warden has been asking for the last 5 to 10 years.

Apparently this film came about through producer Walter Wrangler having spent some time in prison and didn't like the way the conditions were. This film was meant to spark off the idea of some social change an rehabilitation for prisons at the same time that other riots were happening which would bring about some social reforms of the prison justice system. It's a powerfully moving piece a film making, Siegel’s direction the lighting, And the great acting from the all-around stupendous list of character actors make this a totally engrossing film. What surprises me the most is after the performance given by Neville Brand that he wasn't given more shots at starring roles.

But the system is always slow to change, and the way the film ends his character Dunn wins and loses at the same time. Because the way the system is set up it takes legislation to exact a change.

Highly Recommended

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Day 4: 4 Noirvember 2021

0c214de7-7731-42c7-a4ee-190fb8ffa82c-jpg.349955
92162_large.jpg

Todays Double Feature Presentations

6. Ramrod (Arrow Academy)
First Time Viewing

Enterprise Productions, Inc. (Release Date: May 2, 1947) Director: André De Toth, Cinematographer: Russell Harlan

First up Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake share the screen for a second time in "Ramrod", and this definitely isn't Preston Sturges folks! André De Toth directs, with cinematography by the great Russell Harlan, in a script adapted from a story by Luke Short, the same guy who wrote Blood on the Moon, actually that seemed to be Mr. Short’s specialty, writing western noir novels, and this one is really right up there with the rest of them.

And for your information, this is the Arrow Academy release, it's labeled with region B on the back, but it will play no issues on A region a player, stupid that we still have these restrictions going on in the world. Second of all I know that this has a US release from Olive Films but the bit rate is higher and this releases and it has bonus features, along with subtitles and a few other features that make it a better package for basically the same price. By the way the sound is crisp and clean the score is phenomenal.

Jole McCrea is looking for some form of redemption, and to be justified when he walks in to a place, after hitting the bottle he's working his way back. Veronica lake on the other hand is a strange from her father who keeps trying to marry her off to the local cattle Baron, even though she has a beau who was going to try and leave town and move sheep into grazing land. Her future fiancé is scared off in the middle of the night which leaves him turning his ranch over to Veronica lake, who then hires John McCrea to be her “Ramrod”, foreman of her workers to help maintain her ranch and build up her property so that she in turn can be on equal footing with the cattle Baron Anne rub it in her father's face.

McCrae says that he will only do this if they do it his way which is within the guides of the law on the up and up so that the wall is on his side and they've done nothing wrong. But Lake has other ideas, after her original ranches is burned out, they take over one of the cattle Baron’s line shacks that's made of stone as her new home. And she has some of her own crew Stampede her herd so that she can place the blame on her arrival. This backfires when one of her men is beaten so brutally and has his eyes gouged out that he dies, leading to a showdown with Joel McCrea standing righteous after his friend the lawman is wrongfully killed. The outside shots are pretty much bright and sunny as they should be but when night comes in it's dark, inky dark. Bars with low ceilings to the point it looks like hats are going to touch the top with very low lighting.

Morals and what people are willing to do play a big part film, in this and it ends differently than what you might think in a good way. Once again another highly recommended film if you like westerns and you like noir this is one for viewing.

7. Sleep, My Love (Olive Films) First Time Viewing

Triangle Productions, Inc. (Release Date: 27 Jan 1948) Director: Douglas Sirk, Cinematographer: Joseph Valentine

Second feature of the night was Sleep, My Love. Which like the movie before it, does a similar thing only this time it's pairing Don Ameche and Claudette Colbert. But throughout the romantic comedy of 1939's Midnight. As director Douglas Sirk steps up to the plate to do a film noir, lensed by Joseph Valentine.

The story starts off with Claudette Colbert waking up distressed on a train headed towards Boston but not knowing how she got there with a gun in her purse. An older woman helps her off the train and tries to get ahold of somebody at the counter at the same time her husband (Don Ameche) has gotten ahold of Raymond Burr as a local policeman to tell him that his wife is missing. When the detective shows up and looks around, he notices that Mr. Courtland seems to be favoring his arm, his answer was that he fell and hurt it.

Meanwhile in Boston at the train station Mrs. Courtland runs into an old friend who is accompanied by Robert Cummings. and they explained that they're going to be in the city of New York in a couple of days would it be OK to drop by and visit. On the flight back to New York, (Cummings) Bruce Ellicott caries on conversation with Mrs. Courtland becoming enamored with her.

Meanwhile, we find out that Mr. Cortland has been stepping little out on the marriage he's got a girlfriend on the other side of town, his business isn't doing well, and he's hired a weird photographer to play psychiatrist and between drugging his wife and having hypnosis performed on her, by slipping something nightly into her drinks, and then influencing her while she's under the drug, he's trying to drive her crazy. So that he can get her money. Very Hitchcockian in its mode, Sirk does a great job, with the right of mount of menace.

Untrusting of all this situation, Robert Cummings character along with his business partner Key Luke, who gives up way too much of his honeymoon time to help his friend out on this look around to try and find the people they are causing issues from Mrs. Cortland.

Once again, I would have to make this another recommendation it was a good film for the first time, honestly, I liked it, more importantly it was good to see some people playing against their normal type most impressive was seeing the normal romantic lead of Don Ameche playing the slimeball as the husband trying to off his wife for cash.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Remember, remember! The fifth of November, The Gunpowder treason and plot; I know of no reason. Why the Gunpowder treason. Should ever be forgot!

V for Vendetta
Originally Released: 03/17/2006
Watched: 11/05/2021
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

V for Vendetta (2006) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This movie envisioned presented a year 2020 where decades of unending war, a global pandemic that may or may not have been cooked up in a lab, and anti-immigrant hysteria have fueled the rise of anti-democratic forces. Superficially, eerily prescient for the actual 2020. But, like most dystopian fiction, it serves more as an emblematic artifact of its time.

More thoughts:
Just as the original comics were an indictment of Thatcherism, this movie is a commentary on the post-9/11 era, especially Bush's War on Terror. One thing that's particularly striking in retrospect is the vast and insidious conspiracy that brought the fascists to power in the movie's backstory. If history has shown us anything, it's that fascists tend to be thugs, and thugs don't need to rely on subtlety to achieve their ends.

Another thing that's striking is how unabashedly heroic V -- the titular terrorist -- is made to be in the film. Alan Moore saw fascism and anarchy as two opposite poles, each destructive in its own ways. The V on the page is an anti-hero at best. The V on the screen is Zorro by way of Edmond Dantès. It is therefore not altogether surprising that the movie popularized David Lloyd's stylized Guy Fawkes mask and turned it into a popular symbol of mass resistence to authority. The movie believes in the power of the people to tear down vicious tyrants; it's more than the a little bit amorphous about how, or what happens afterward.

Those critiques aside, it's a very technically accomplished film. I love the production design and the cinematography, and the little bits of worldbuilding sprinkled throughout.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 6th, 2021 Saturday
Birthday Weekend

November 5th, 2021 Friday
Star Wars (1977 Theatrical Edition)

I was 12 years old when this movie came out and it was the one movie my brother, sister and I wanted to see over and over again in the theater! It remains one of my favorite movies and one I watch at least 5 times a year.

Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
4K Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

I love the Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies and never seem to get tired of them.

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy 4K.jpg

Godzilla Vs Kong
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Godzilla Vs Kong 4K.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Behind Enemy Lines.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Dial 1119 yesterday. It's a suspense film about a mentally unbalanced man who casually murders a bus driver, then a barman and proceeds to hold five people hostage. The film held my attention throughout. I was surprised to see Andrea King whom I've always found interesting in an MGM movie. She was good, playing 28 year old woman who has led a sheltered life being lured into a naughty weekend by Leon Ames. I don't think I've ever seen him play that kind of role either!

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 7th, 2021 Sunday
Birthday Weekend Cont.

Previous Views
November 5th, 2021 Friday
Star Wars (1977 Theatrical Edition)

Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Godzilla Vs Kong
Behind Enemy Lines

Todays Movies: November 7th

Gladiator (Extended Cut)
DTS-X 7.1.4

Gladiator 4K.jpg

Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

20210622_182154.jpg

IMG_2719aa.jpg

Full Metal Jacket
4K Blu-ray / HDR
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 16-bit)

Full Metal Jacket.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Eternals
Originally Released: 11/05/2021
Watched: 11/07/2021
In theaters: 6:30 PM showing on Screen 12 at Regal Colonie Center 13 & RPX

EternaIs (2021) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? You enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe (or epic, large scale filmmaking) enough to sit through the movie's nearly three hour running time.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I was in the mood for a color Western so I watched Hondo, this time on a newish German Blu-ray set of Westerns. I already have the Paramount disc from a few years back and, going from memory, I think the same non-3D transfer was used for both discs. I'll make a comparison in the next few days.

I'm thinking about watching Wild In The Country tonight. I've always liked the film and that Twilight Time disc deserves a new viewing.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Darkest Hour (2017) — Our movie consumption has to be cut back for awhile as we have a lot of other stuff going on, but we had some time last and watched this Winston Churchill biopic on 4K. Gary Oldman is great as Churchill, and I found the story of Churchill maneuvering to find a path forward while Germany was sweeping across Europe to be absolutely riveting. Some liberties are taken with the actual history, but I've come to expect that. As a political junkie with a graduate degree in history, this was right up my alley. My wife isn't keen on anything that seems like a "war movie" so I was a little surprised at how much she liked this one.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Green Book (2018) — Another fairly recent movie based on a true story that we watched on 4K, and another one that we both really liked. Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen are great as pianist Don Shirley and his Italian-American driver/bodyguard on a tour through the deep south in the early 60s. There are no big surprises in the story; you can safely assume the broad strokes from the premise. Although mostly predictable, the script is still solid and the stars do such a good job that we were both hooked very quickly. We have a definite preference for older films and we don't get out to the theater much, so it's good for us to be reminded every so often that there are still excellent films being made.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 13th, 2021 Saturday

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The 10 Rings
4K Digital / Dolby Vision / Imax Enhanced / Disney +
Dolby Atmos

I really enjoyed it and wished I had seen this in the theater. Good storyline and good choice of casting.

Shang Chi LOT10R.jpg

Red Notice
4K Digital / Dolby Vision / Netflix
Dolby Atmos

Check this movie out if you have not seen it!

Red Notice.jpg

Jungle Cruise
4K Digital / Dolby Vision / Disney +
Dolby Atmos

I found this movie very enjoyable and think I will add it to my collection!

Jungle Cruise.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 14th, 2021 Sunday

The Book Thief
1080p Blu-ray
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

20211114_163340.jpg

Never seem to get tired of this movie and it is so well done!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
If this thread is to post anything anyone has seen recently, here’s my contribution-
City Lights. I bought the Criterion BluRay
during their recent 1/2 off sale. I saw it for the first time last weekend- delightful. The boxing match is comic genius. Is it me, or did Chaplin have a disproportionally huge head?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks