What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Four Hours at the Capitol
Originally Released: 10/20/2021
Watched: 11/21/2021
1080P HD digital streaming on HBO Max via Roku 3

Four Hours at the Capitol (2021) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Not a whole lot I can say about this one without violating the forum's rules. The documentary's power is mainly driven the visceral footage from that day, but the talking head interviews sprinkled through out draw from a diverse selection of perspectives: The Capitol Police, the DC Metropolitan Police, members of Congress from both houses and both parties, journalists, and even some of the people who broke into the Capitol. I will say that it did a great job of helping me understand the timeline of what happened, and how the various facets of it were playing out simultaneously in different areas of the complex.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Man In The Saddle yesterday. (There's a sly pun in the title that, although appropriate, might be unintentional!) It's an interesting film that could be re-made as a far more intense drama about love, desire and jealousy. I wish it had not been so obvious that in the major fight scene, a stunt man was doubling for Randolph Scott.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 24th, 2021 Wednesday

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
4K Blu-ray / HDR
Dolby Atmos to Auro 3D 7.1.4

“This is the day you will always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow.”​

Pirates Of The Caribbean 1a.jpg

I love this franchise and if there is ever another Pirates Of The Caribbean it is not really Pirates Of The Caribbean without Johnny Depp! Anyone else playing the character for me means no sale!

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl / 4K Blu-ray / Release Date January 2nd, 2022
Video
Codec: HEVC / H.265
Resolution: Upscaled 4K (2160p)
HDR: HDR10
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Audio
English: Dolby Atmos
English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)

“Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.”​

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Originally Released: 11/19/2021
Watched: 11/24/2021
In theaters: 9:15 PM showing on Screen 8 at Landmark's Spectrum 8 Theatres

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) Poster

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? How much nostalgia you have for the first two Ghostbusters movies, and how much you enjoy eighties family adventure films. I have a fair amount of nostalgia for the original Ghostbusters movies, and I really like eighties family adventure movies. So I enjoyed this. But if you don't fall into either category, there probably isn't enough in this movie to hold your interest.

My thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Anyone else playing the character for me means no sale!
I don't believe for one second that Disney would make another Pirates movie starring another actor playing Jack Sparrow.

I do believe that Disney would like to make another Pirates movie that does not feature the Jack Sparrow character at all. They've had a couple things in development, including one version which has had Margot Robbie attached.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I don't believe for one second that Disney would make another Pirates movie starring another actor playing Jack Sparrow.

I do believe that Disney would like to make another Pirates movie that does not feature the Jack Sparrow character at all. They've had a couple things in development, including one version which has had Margot Robbie attached.

Will have to wait and see what actually happens if and when any kind of Pirates movies get made.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched The Desperadoes last night. This is the first film in the new Mill Creek Randolph Scott box-set which looks as if it comes from a new high definition transfer. The sharp focus imagery of distant landscape is in major contrast to the blurred imagery on the other discs.

For me, the film itself is interesting more for what it indicates than for what is is. Using a plot point later re-used in The Getaway, the core story is good and could have been the basis for a tough and dramatic Western. Instead, the film is lightweight and too comedic. It's a pity Columbia didn't remake the film 12 or so years later with someone like Delmer Daves or Richard Fleischer directing. (Later still, this would have been great material for Sam Peckinpah) Glenn Ford, in my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree, is inadequate as a gunfighter with a past he bitterly regrets, the kind of role Randolph Scott played really well in Western Union.

I might watch Shadow Of The Thin Man tonight.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Was up very early this morning in anticipation of much food preparation, and so far today I've managed to watch two full movies and a special: A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Rear Window, and the 1935 Anna Karenina. I want to drag out my DVD of David Copperfield tonight and watch that in addition to some things I recorded on the DVR earlier in the week.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Treasure Of Monte Cristo which I found on YouTube. It was, of course, a sub VHS quality presentation. The film is feeble and has only three assets: an ingenious plot point which is wasted, a good performance from Steve Brodie as a crooked and vicious lawyer and Adele Jergens who was the reason I wanted to watch the film. As I've pointed out elsewhere, she was always a very strong screen presence and is so in this movie. Her real life husband Glenn Langan plays the lead but is a bland hunk with no real impact on screen. If the Robert Mitchum of that period had played the male lead, the film would work far better.

I also watched the new Kino Lorber Blu-ray disc of Masquerade, the film directed by Basil Dearden and starring Jack Hawkins and Cliff Robertson. I hadn't seen this movie for a very long time and I really enjoyed it. I'm inclined now the read the source novel by Victor Canning. The Blu-ray disc is good but there are a few color fluctuations. In a early scene with John Le Mesurier, his first two close-ups give his face an unnatural red but in his next close shot, his face has a healthy brown suntan!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My internet went out for awhile last night, so I popped in the Blu-ray of Murder by Decree. I have been meaning to rewatch this marvelous Sherlock Holmes adventure for quite some time, so this gave me a terrific excuse to do so. I wish Plummer and Mason had done a Sherlock Holmes series. They were SO good together.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Le Magnifique last night, an amusing spoof of James Bond type action movies. It's about a writer of action stories and the difference between his imagination and his reality. This was, of course, the central theme in The Seven Year Itch and a scene from that movie is re-worked in Le Magnifique.

Although the joke wears thin after a while, Jean Paul Belmondo and Jacqueline Bisset are so charismatic the film does not outstay its welcome. I found the exquisite Miss Bisset overwhelmingly attractive in the 1960s when she and I were much younger. I'm about 50 years older now but she isn't, at least not on screen and I still find her attractive!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gonna take a minute to briefly report on some recent viewings:

on-the-rocks-movie-poster.jpg

Liked it. An interesting father/daughter pairing. Murray made the movie a fair lot of fun. He struck his usual irreverent mode.

il_570xN.916391935_3t8z.jpg

Peg and I had never seen this movie before. Crazy, I know. But we watched it. HATED it. The Blu (which I got dirt cheap on a Black Friday price) is up for discussion if anyone might be interested.

baby-diver-banner-600x300.jpg

Wanted to just watch the beginning of this film to play something loud and fun. I forgot how much I liked it and ended up watching the whole thing.

Based on RAH's ultra-positive review, I climbed out of my comfort zone to watch:

nighthouse2021reg.jpg

While the ride was fun, the story was lacking. Lots of red herrings and things which while presented as clues to the mystery ended up having no significance.

a_quiet_place_part_ii.jpg

This was enjoyable. Like Part 1, I enjoyed the soundscape. The quiet. As in any film like this there are certain happenings you have to accept. I like the conceit so much I accepted them gladly.

e5b51f6f252e126663ec4b930e5c8765_38e355d8f8954846ba4cde57facf787d.jpg

I watched this to enjoy my 4k upgrade. Looked/sounded fan-tas-tic.

And finally...

HO00014869

A movie with LOTS of shots of ScarJo's posterior. So many, in fact, it should be turned into some kind of drinking game. We had a discussion in the thread of the film's 4k release if this movie would hold up for someone who has abandoned the Marvel cinematic universe. It really didn't. There was a lot of talk of the Avengers which was lost on me. I really enjoyed the opening of the film when ScarJo's character was a little girl. But the rest of the story was pretty lame. And the final third (mostly a single action piece) was just too much. I hate to repeat myself but it seems like the film's main attraction was ScarJo's ability to fill out her outfits.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Sorcerer (1977) — I remember seeing the ads for this William Friedkin when it first came out, but I never managed to see it in the theater. It stuck with me as a movie I wanted to see, and I finally watched it on blu-ray. Four outcasts from diverse backgrounds end up in a remote South American village where they have the chance to make some money and get out. All they have to do is transport two trucks full of unstable explosives 200 miles across a path that barely qualifies as a road to the side of an oil fire. Roy Scheider heads up a solid cast. It's an atmospheric film, gorgeously shot and with a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. I really appreciated the slow build at the beginning where we are introduced to the characters and learn how they ended up in this remote location. After that slow build, the journey to the well fire is incredibly suspenseful.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Beau Geste (1966) TCM (UK). I've never seen it, the story is quite different from the much superior 1939 Gary Cooper version. Guy Stockwell makes for a pretty bland Beau Geste, & his part seems underwritten, happily Telly Savalas really chews up the scenery as the baddie in the Brian Donlevy part. The film does look cheap, apart from the desert shots (& exteriors of the desert fort) it was all shot in the studio, & really looks it, if it wasn't for the 'scope picture you'd think it was a shot for TV film. The Universal transfer is superb, sharp, great colours with a pristine picture, it could have been filmed last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks