What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rock Island Trail (iTunes HD) 1950. A Republic Trucolor tale of railroad expansion and the feud between the stagecoach and the steamship lines. A real court case of the the railroad vs. the steamship line was won by none other than Honest Abe. Climactic Indian attack brings the tale to a close. Forrest Tucker is the stalwart hero who loves Adele Mara. Lorna Gray, the Indian princess who loves Tucker, is a far more interesting character and is more alluring. She meets you know what kind of fate. A good B film.
You're right, Jose, a damn good "B" movie and Lorna Gray/Adrian Booth's character was the most interesting character in the movie. I'm glad I bought this the other day on iTunes for $4.99. The video presentation except for a couple of brief moments of print damage looked really good. Another one of those Republic movies that Paramount and perhaps Martin Scorsese had a hand in making it presentable to watch in HD.:thumbsup:

1590974380180.png

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
b4f3a84b8a0d9ce434e16a0b06e1f4a1.jpg

6019b699e6b3712049a11d468e93ee96.jpg

footlight-parade-poster-dick-powell-ruby-keeler-james-cagney-joan-picture-id1137208881

b333a297cbebb8d47529843049a01a15.jpg

For about the 25th time, I watched Hatari!, IMO one of the best "hang out" movies ever made. I love it beyond all reason, despite its meandering nature...in fact, I love it because of its meandering nature! Warner's Blu-Ray doesn't look so hot projected on a 120" screen, but looks fine on my 50" Panny plasma, which is how I chose to view it this time. A disappointing Blu-Ray, to be sure, but still a marked improvement over the ratty old DVD.

On the opposite end of the video quality spectrum is Paramount's Gunfight at the O.K. Corral...the Blu-Ray of this sucker looks fabulous! (I suppose being filmed in VistaVision helps...) John Sturges take on the legendary story is a sturdy, handsome western, with a deep cast. Enjoyed Kenneth Tobey's cool but too brief take on Bat Masterson. Lancaster is believably forthright and tough as Wyatt Earp, but this is Kirk Douglas' picture all the way.

It's taken me decades, but I'm finally catching up with these early Busby Berkeley Warners musicals. I love their fast pace, snappy banter, and leggy chorus girls in sexy Pre-Code costumes. Last year, I watched 42nd Street and really enjoyed it, and this week I spun Footlight Parade. The final three big production numbers here really impress, especially the lavish "Waterfall" number.

When I first bought TCM's Randolph Scott Vault Collection, I had assumed The Walking Hills was a traditional western...imagine my surprise to find out that it's a contemporary western / film noir / desert survival story. Great cast, too; along with Scott, we get feisty, sultry Ella Raines, John Ireland, Arthur Kennedy, Edgar Buchanan, William Bishop and blues great Josh White. A modest early hit for director John Sturges, and he handles the action and location shooting with typical skill.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tonight:

Suddenly.jpg

This was one of my blind purchases from the Twilight Time sale. I like a lot of Tennessee Williams' work, but wasn't familiar with this one before now. I thought it was fascinating, and very exciting to see how it all unfolded. I'm really glad I bought it because I'm sure I'll return to it soon. As usual, Williams has created big, strong, compelling personalities and put them into a heightened situation that is extremely compelling to watch. I don't know how much of the script is Williams and how much was altered by Gore Vidal for the movie, but I liked it, in either case. Elizabeth Taylor in particular is a very sympathetic heroine and does a good job in making even the more outlandish aspects of the climax feel earned in a hell of a final monologue. According to the booklet, Montgomery Clift had some issues on the set, but they must have edited around him really well, since I wouldn't have guessed that just from watching the film. Katherine Hephern was equally compelling as an antagonist. I'm curious to revisit it to see how it plays once I know the ending. It will be interesting to see how it replays, but just from the first time being unfamiliar with it, I was totally invested from the beginning. Of course, Twilight Time did a great job with the quality, which looks pristine. I'm really glad they put this out and that I decided to get it before they close up shop. I also decided to blind buy Three Coins in the Fountain tonight, and while that's obviously a totally different kind of film, it would be wonderful if I am as satisfied with that blind buy as I am with this one.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Midway (2019)
Originally Released: 11/08/2019
Watched: 05/31/2020
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

Midway_2019_Poster.jpg

Is it a masterpiece? No. But is it better than a war film made by Roland Emmerich retelling actual historical events has any right to be? Yes.

The title is a bit of a misnomer, because while the Battle of Midway comprises the climax of the film, the movie actually recounts the Pacific theater of World War II from the Navy's perspective from Pearl Harbor through Midway.

The cast of characters is condensed a bit from the real history, but the movie gets the big stuff right when it comes to the actual history. Within the framework of that actual history, Emmerich makes a war movie very reminiscent of the ones from the fifties and sixties -- with broadly drawn characters with colorful personalities. Despite modern and cutting edge visual effects, the movie feels oddly old-fashioned.

I'd seen the movie in theaters, but at home in 4K on my OLED display was a treat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
b4f3a84b8a0d9ce434e16a0b06e1f4a1.jpg

6019b699e6b3712049a11d468e93ee96.jpg

footlight-parade-poster-dick-powell-ruby-keeler-james-cagney-joan-picture-id1137208881

When I first bought TCM's Randolph Scott Vault Collection, I had assumed The Walking Hills was a traditional western...imagine my surprise to find out that it's a contemporary western / film noir / desert survival story. Great cast, too; along with Scott, we get feisty, sultry Ella Raines, John Ireland, Arthur Kennedy, Edgar Buchanan, William Bishop and blues great Josh White. A modest early hit for director John Sturges, and he handles the action and location shooting with typical skill.
I'm pulling out my DVD set this morning as I haven't watched "The Walking HIlls" for a number of years. As you can tell by my avatar, I'm a big Ella Raines fan.:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yeah, I thought the DVD presentation was really good for this 1949 modern western/film noir. I always thought this 78 minute movie showed Sturges potential as a director. Yes, a great cast with much of it filmed in Death Valley.

1591011216300.png

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was tired last night so my viewing of the delightful The Belles of St. Trinian's was a disaster. Will have to re-watch. However, did get to view:
I Know This Much Is True (HBO) 2020. It's still depressing but good.
Borgen (iTunes HD) The first 2 chapters (of 10) of the Danish series about the first female Prime Minister. Interesting politics and personal dramas.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Falcon%2Band%2Bthe%2BCo-eds1.jpg

Continuing with the Falcon Series. Again no Goldie but lots of lovely ladies.
This one has more than a few laughs and some mystery and did I mention - lots of lovely ladies.

Oh, yeah...the babe quotient in this series ups considerably once Tom Conway takes over as the Falcon. :) The Falcon and the Co-Eds is one of my favorites in the whole series. Good atmosphere.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anyone who has Apple TV+ and thinks they've just been in too darn good a mood lately might want to try the mini-series Defending Jacob. Crap! I've watched a lot of downer stuff in my life, but that was just... a little too much at this particular moment. Well done, but I'd like to erase that one from my memory. Especially how it all ended.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Slums of Beverly Hills
Originally Released: 08/14/1998
Watched: 06/01/2020
1080P HD digital streaming on Hulu, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

SlumsOfBeverlyHills_1998_Poster.jpg

A so-so movie anchored by a terrific performance from a teenage Natasha Lyonne, this is a period piece exploring the seedy outskirts of Beverly Hills in the early seventies. Really solid supporting cast, too. It just spends too long in sitcom mode, and -- much like a sitcom episode -- ends more or less exactly where it started.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
rme-home-page.jpg

This is our second time watching this. If you love trains - if you love the mountains - if you love history... watch this movie and watch it on the biggest screen you have with the best sound system you have.
This documentary is such a joy to view. I know we will watch it many more times. Plus a great chance to get away in this time of social distancing.
1467559824_1.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For the last few days, I've been watching some of the hour-long Hercule Poirot mysteries. Today was Dead Man's Mirror. These mysteries aren't nearly as challenging as Dame Agatha's novel-length whodunits, but they're quite fun for a quick jolt of mystery. David Suchet's performance always makes them worth the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks