What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Tonight

6bf7db17481553.562ba8bb709d4.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Arbor (Criterion Channel) 2010. A strange breed of film, using actors to lip-sync the words of Andrea Dunbar and her 3 children in interviews collected by the director. Scenes of her life, her plays, her one screenplay (the film is available in a TT release) are enacted, so it's a mix of documentary and re-enactment. Powerful and not a pleasant view of their lives.
Buck and the Preacher (Criterion Channel) 1972. Director and actor Sidney Poitier is joined by friend actor Harry Belafonte in a Western where wagon trains of freed slaves on their way west are harassed by white nightriders. Much more daring then than now but it's still watchable. Belafonte is deglamorized here and in...
Uptown Saturday Night (Criterion Channel) 1974. Belafonte looks like Brando in The Godfather. Poitier directs and stars in this amiable comedy filled with so many comic actors and beautiful people. Not great, but fun.
Corpo Celeste (Criterion Channel) 2011. Film debut of the amazing director Alice Rohrwacher. I've seen her 3 films and they're just extraordinary and worth seeking out. This one traces the story of a pre-adolescent who returns to Italy after 10 years of living in Italy, and has to take catechism lessons prior to confirmation in the Catholic church. Her journey from innocence, doubt, anger, puberty, and affirmation (as opposed to confirmation) of life is perfectly portrayed by a preternaturally gifted child actress.
Pressure Point (Criterion Channel) 1962. Poitier, again, this time playing a psychiatrist. Bobby Darin plays a disaffected, unemployed white man with no convictions, who falls for demagoguery spouted by a psychopath, is easily manipulated...well, you get the parallelism and the drift...Very today. The black and white images were starkly shot by Ernest Haller and looked fantastic on my OLED. The psychiatry is, as usual, over simplified, and the film is somewhat preachy, but it is effective. Darin is actually very good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I purchased the HD streaming version of Ziegfeld Follies from iTunes last night, and I watched it tonight. An old transfer, of course, but I do have to say that two of Fred Astaire's numbers, "This Heart of Mine" and "Limehouse Blues," looked fantastic in high definition and were clean and sharp. Some of the other numbers varied in sharpness and cleanliness.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 29th, 2020 Wednesday

Armageddon
HD Digital upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Armageddon.jpg

Friday The 13th: A New Begining
Dolby 5.1

Friday-the-13th-5-large.jpg

Friday The 13th: Jason Lives
HD DIgital upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1

Friday The 13th Pt6.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Armageddon
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Dammit, Dave!

I've been wanting to watch Armageddon again for some time now. You should have invited me over! :D

===================================

I haven't posted much here lately, because 1.) I've been busy. And, 2.) Peg and I have taken to filling up our breaks and mealtimes with a rewatch of 30 Rock (I recently received the new Blu release of the complete series). We are already well into Season 2.

But I really want to watch some films!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Incidentally, over the last few months I watched (for the first time) the entire series of Gilmore Girls, including the NetFlix limited series. I think that’s about 847 total hours of viewing time.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight we streamed "Extraction" (via Netflix) out in the theatre on the big screen. First time since picking back up Netflix after getting fiber optics installed in the house. Picture and sound were pretty impressive. No direct hookup as I'm using wifi through my OPPO player. This winter I'm going to hard wire the signal to the OPPO and see how that looks!!

extraction.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Incidentally, over the last few months I watched (for the first time) the entire series of Gilmore Girls, including the NetFlix limited series. I think that’s about 847 total hours of viewing time.

I'd love to hear what you thought, John. You already know I am an unabashed fan of the series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Into the Storm
Originally Released: 08/08/2014
Watched: 04/29/2020
4K UHD digital streaming on Vudu via Roku Ultra

IntoTheStorm_2014_Poster.jpg

Not worth much as a movie, but as a thrill ride it's fun. Despite being a "found footage" movie, there are explanations in the movie for why so many characters have higher end cameras. So the picture quality is better than you'd expect from the genre.

The best part is the two drunk, seemingly indestructible rednecks that weave their way in and out of the story.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
great_guns__title_card_.jpg

The first film of "the boys" after leaving Hal Roach. Still funny in spots but they were obviously constrained by the script.
Worth watching to see how ready (not) we were for WWII.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks