What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Dune: Part Two
Originally Released: 03/01/2024
Watched: 05/18/2024
4K UHD disc via Panasonic DP-UB820

Dune: Part Two (2024) Ultra HD Disc Cover Art

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Taken as a whole, Denis Villeneuve's two-part adaptation of Frank Herbert's seminal novel ably captures the epic scope and thematic ideas, proving that the third time is the charm after David Lynch's troubled effort in the eighties and Syfy's underfunded attempt in 2000.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just watched and immensely enjoyed "Vitagraph" comedy shorts. I do not say this for sympathy believe me but I am in the hospital, with a portable Blu ray player, so anything needing a big screen is at home waiting for me. I buy the Blu rays and can't wait to get home and watch Dune 2, Aquaman, and The Marvels. These are movies I would normally see at the IMAX theatre arround the corner from me.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just watched and immensely enjoyed "Vitagraph" comedy shorts. I do not say this for sympathy believe me but I am in the hospital, with a portable Blu ray player, so anything needing a big screen is at home waiting for me. I buy the Blu rays and can't wait to get home and watch Dune 2, Aquaman, and The Marvels. These are movies I would normally see at the IMAX theatre arround the corner from me.
Sorry Terry, get well soon!! I just watched Dune 2 on my 65" Sanyo...it works well!! It's always nice to have something to look forward to. How was the shorts collection?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Don't worry about my health. It's been a 2 year journey, but I really feel I am on the mend this time.
The Vitagraph shorts were a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed the commentator, although he is opinionated. I always watch a silent movie that I buy on disc, but have never seen before with the commentator first. It really adds to the experience. My mind divides between following the story ( not that the early ones have much of a story!) and learning about the actors etc. I found as well that it is very hard to get tired of a movie that is only 14 minutes long. It might be a way to get those with short attention spans to sit long enough to be introduced to silents!

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Not sure if this counts, but after the first three episodes of Apple TV+ “DARK MATTER”…i’m hooked.
Give it a shot, new Sci-Fi/Alternate Reality/series I highly recommend

IMG_6943.jpeg

Noir Norn

Second Unit
Real Name
Warren
Universal's Vault series' MOD DVD of
Kitten With a Whip
1000031296.png

still looks good & plays without defects on my system.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
길복순 (Kill Boksoon)
Originally Released: 03/31/2003
Watched: 05/21/2024
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra; Korean with English subtitles

Kill Boksoon (2023) Poster

Gil ("Kill") Bok-soon is the most elite assassin of the most powerful murder-for-hire company in the Korean underworld. But when her teenage daughter starts exhibiting that is uncomfortably familiar, she considers getting out of the game.

Recommended?
Yes

Why? While it's too long and is tonally unbalanced at times trying to square its dark themes with its offbeat sense of humor, the movie nevertheless combines stylish and effective action sequences with a compelling exploration of how moments of crisis reveal who we truly are. The title character is an interesting study in contradictions, as she juggles two obligations that are at odds with one another. Her life as a mother and her life as an assassin initially have nothing to do with one another, but over the course of the movie the two storylines play off each other in surprising ways. In the title role, Jeon Do-yeon is equally believable as a brilliant and unrelenting assassin and as a mother in over her head.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ex Machina
Originally Released: 01/21/2015
Watched: 05/25/2024
1080P Blu-ray disc, upscaled to 4K via Panasonic DP-UB820

Ex Machina (2015) Blu-ray Cover

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Alex Garland's directorial debut plays like a feature-length episode of "The Outer Limits" in the best way. And in the era of Midjourney, ChatGPT, and other generative AI, the questions it asks feel more urgent than ever.

More thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azy
Recent bookmarks