What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Battle in Heaven (Criterion Channel) 2005. Terrible non-anamorphic transfer of a controversial film by Mexican director, Carlos Reygadas. It starts with a sullen on-camera BJ, and ends with a beatific on-camera BJ. In between we're treated to a story of crime, punishment and redemption by non-actors telling (or narrating) the story in a Brechtian manner, and affecting a Bressionan delivery. It's oddly affecting but it's also an acquired taste.
Nightmare (Universal BD) 1964. Freddie Francis directed this Hammer entry with definite echoes of Diabolique. The print is not pristine and marred by numerous imperfections.
The Evil of Frankenstein (Universal BD) 1964. Busy Freddie Francis directed this entry on the Frankenstein series. Much better PQ. Another explosion at the end obliterates the doctor and his creature. Will they survive in time for the next entry?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 12th, 2019 Tuesday

First viewing of the 4K disc of The Wizard Of Oz

The Wizard Of Oz (80th Anniversary)
4K UHD Blu-ray
DTS Master Audio 5.1

wizzard of oz 013.jpg

This movie in 4K looked great on my Sony OLED!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you want to give one a try, give Dear John a spin. Let us know what you think.

Challenge accepted! :D

But, to be fair, Peg and I had watched Dear John several years ago. But we had forgotten much of the story.

And, it also was helmed by our flat-out favorite director Lasse Hallstrom. The film was certainly pleasant enough. We both enjoyed the leads. And, Richard Jenkins is always great. The story was a little thin--especially the ending. But when all is said and done, it was enjoyabe enough and we had very little to knock about it afterwards. Personally, I wish Sparks had gone just a little bit further to let us know what the future held for the two leads.

I was also reminded that Hallstrom directed Safe Haven. I LOVE Julianna Hough and thought this Sparks movie was also good enough. The fantasy aspect of it kind of pissed me off though as I thought it cheapened the tale.

dear-john-british-movie-poster.jpg

1508122955276621009.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Personally, I wish Sparks had gone just a little bit further to let us know what the future held for the two leads.

I was also reminded that Hallstrom directed Safe Haven. I LOVE Julianna Hough and thought this Sparks movie was also good enough. The fantasy aspect of it kind of pissed me off though as I thought it cheapened the tale.
Regarding Dear John, my interpretation is rather simple, and might sound stupid, since it's so simple. It doesn't go into the future for them, because that's not what the story is about. The story is about what's in the story, which has, in my opinion, plenty to think about as it is. I find the ambiguous ending intriguing. We don't know what's going to happen, which is the point. In fact, I find it amusing that an almost universal reaction to Sparks is that his stories are thin and unrealistic, in a fantasy sort of way. Actually, a major theme in his stories (I've only seen the movies, but I've seen them all multiple times) is that life is messy, people are messy, and shit just happens, all the time.

Regarding Safe Haven, that story element absolutely pisses off a LOT of people to no end. I absolutely love that element. I feel very sorry for so many people who come away from that filled with hate. Read reviews to see what I mean by hate. I feel sorry for their lack of imagination and inability to change mental gears, and adapt to something that's not perfectly literal. A line near the end of the movie, "The thought of you... it gives me hope." Think about the significance of that, and the significance of someone in that situation being so selfless and loving to think of it in the first place, and write it down.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can read in your remarks how much these films speak to you. I love that.

I said to Peg when we were done with Dear John tonight that the ending is fine in that it allows the viewer to use their own imagination as to what happens to the two lead characters down the road. But I'm a guy who would rather have the author do that work for me and then I can either be happy with their decision, or angry. :D I even went to the wiki page for the book to see if their synopsis provided any different information on the ending of the tale. Alas, not. :laugh:

I like what you say about how the journey in Sparks' tales is about the messiness of life. There is something to be said for that kind of simplicity. But that's why I feel like the fantasy part of Safe Haven doesn't fit. But the fact that it works for you is great!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That element in Safe Haven is unusual, even strange. It’s definitely a stretch. I just choose to appreciate the purpose of it rather than get messed up in the details. Couldn’t we all use a little help to stay on track at times?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
November 13th, 2019 Wednesday

The Shinning
4K UHD Blu-ray / Dolby Vision / Native 4K
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio upmixed to 7.1 Auro 2D

Shining-poster-1.jpg

My It's A Wonderful Life on 4K UHD Blu-ray arrived today. I might be watching this tonight depending on if I have the time since I have to be up at 2:45am to get ready for work.

20191113_153617a.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
A few days since I posted so here's the sum total:
Blue Movie (Cult Epics BD) 1971. The Dutch discover the pill and off they go! The adventures of an ex-con in an apartment building where his sexual exploits eventually lead him to become a sexual entrepreneur. Will he find happiness? Plenty of nudity.
Johnny Eager (TCM app) 1942. I had to watch this again for Heflin's heartbreaking performance. He was given such wonderful lines to deliver and he milked every single one. This was a man who chain smoked and who drank to mask the pain of unrequited love; the only person who calls Johnny Jonathan; the only man who believes Johnny could have climbed any mountain; the only man to invite Johnny to find those mountains and the clear lakes with him; the only man to cradle Johnny in his arms at the end. How tender, and how fitting for those tears to be flowing for his Johnny!
Jojo Rabbit (DCP) 2019. A film about unspeakable horrors that left me with a smile on my face. A must see.
Swiss Family Robinson (Disney+) 1940. The RKO original because my wife had never seen it. Good cast and not bad at all. The transfer is not very sharp.
Marwencol (Criterion Channel) 2010. The documentary. A very interesting tale, well told. I avoided the feature film based on this.
The Black Hole (Disney+) 1980. Because I'd never seen it. The seams show. And what are they going to eat and breathe in the beyond?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I forgot to add:
Frankie (DCP) 2019. Low-key drama starring Isabelle Huppert, Marisa Tomei, Brendan Gleeson, etc., about an actress who invites her extended family to a last holiday in Sintra, Portugal. Natural, lived-in performances. Also worth a look.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gonna fire up the good HT for this one tonight. I'd sure like a 4K version with HDR and Atmos, but I kind of doubt that will ever happen.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Absolutely! It’s a favorite. Ever since I first saw it in the theater.
I've avoided this film like the plague (perhaps because of Robin Williams), but it's by a director I like. Maybe I'll have to get the cheap BD and finally watch it, if nothing else for the visuals. I've always referred to this movie as Wet Dreams May Come.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Mandalorian (Disney+) Because it's part of the SW universe.
Almost Angels (Disney+) 1962. Because it starred the Vienna Choir Boys. Horribly ancient interlaced transfer.
Zatoichi Goes to the Fire Festival (Criterion BD) 1970. Excellent entry with Ichi surviving traps set by the Boss of Bosses, a blind Machiavelli. And to top it all, he has to face the wrath of a samurai who believes Ichi slept with his wife. The samurai is portrayed by the great Nakadai. The movie is beautifully shot and scored. One of the best.
That Darn Cat! (Disney+) 1965. Because the star is a Siamese cat. Hayley Mills and Dean Jones are also featured along a great cast of supporting actors. Great HD transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks