1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Inside Out (2015): "Congratulations San Francisco! You've ruined pizza!" Disney's animated movie about emotions is a complete joy to watch. The Atmos soundtrack is pretty awesome as well. I'm sure that once I have a good 4K display in my HT, the HDR will also measure up.

Sweet Land (2005): I continued with my list of Messy Love Stories with this quiet little, low budget gem about homesteading immigrants in 1920s Wisconsin. Someone here on HTF first directed me to this movie years ago, but I've forgotten who it was. Elizabeth Reaser and Tim Guinee have a strong supporting cast and a charming story to help them along. It's currently free on Prime.

What Dreams May Come (1998): 21 years ago this movie was absolutely trailblazing with its innovative use of digital imaging. To make things better, it made purposeful use of it. Adapted from a Richard Matheson novel, this is an ambitious, philosophical, religious, metaphysical and often gut wrenching exploration of grief, guilt, mental illness, Heaven, Hell, and of course, love. If that sounds like a complete mess, a lot of viewers came away with exactly that impression. I've always found it rather fascinating. The ill advised, tacked on movie ending is a little out of place, though.

2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Last night I watched The Female Animal, a Hollywood set melodrama with Hedy Lamarr, Jane Powell and Jan Sterling. George Nader who deserved more luck in life than he got played the homme fatale. Russell Metty's gleaming back and white cinematography in Cinemascope was a big advantage.

Today I'm going to watch another Hedy Lamarr film, The Conspirators directed by a man whose work I like a lot, Jean Negulesco.

3. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Blackbeard's Ghost (Disney+) 1968. Because I'd never seen it and it starred Suzanne Pleshette (sigh!), and a droll Ustinov. Lots of people here like it so I gave it a chance. I enjoyed the story and the lovely transfer. I wish I could have identified the Old Lady played by Betty Bronson who in the silent era had played the title role in Peter Pan and Cinderella in A Kiss for Cinderella.
    My Nights with Sandra, Susie, Olga and Julie (Cult Epics) 1975. The last of the films produced by Scorpio Films in Holland. Directed by Pim de la Parra, this one is a psycho-sexual thriller set in a farmhouse where 4 females and a male recluse live. A crazed woman lives nearby. A stranger arrives and settles in for a while. Casual nudity, soft-core sex and violence.

4. HawksFord

HawksFord Agent

Maurice
    My Darling Clementine (1946) - A classic western, of course, with some terrific performances from Henry Fonda, Victor Mature, and Walter Brennan. And it's John Ford so you get beautiful shot after shot.

This was my first time going through the Criterion blu-ray release. And this is why I like the physical media: it's one of those discs that has enough stuff on it to keep me occupied for multiple evenings. There's the final release of the film; a commentary track for that release; a pre-release version of the film; a bunch of extras including commentary on the film, the locations, and the historical characters; and a radio adaptation. I haven't listened to the radio adaptation yet, but I've watched everything else. The commentary track by Joseph McBride is particularly good with a lot of insights into Ford and the making of the film.

Mysto likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I hope to get to the "live action" version of The Lion King on UHD today.

6. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Naked Alibi has just arrived so that's my main dish this evening. It's only 86 minutes long so I might watch something else as well.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I had my disc for about a week and haven't watched it. I'll probably do so tonight in place of "The Hitch-Hiker" showing on TCM's Noir Alley.

8. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Red (PBS Great Performances HD) 2019. Recorded live in London. A production of a Tony-award winner about Mark Rothko and his creation of murals for The Four Seasons restaurant in NYC, a project which he aborted. It's much deeper than this and the acting from both actors is superb. I'd already seen a live production of the play.
    Force of Evil (Arrow Academy Zone Free BD) 1948. What a rich transfer of a great movie! Everything about is superb. My only quibble is: What was MGM thinking when it released this film during the 1948 holiday season and advertised it as a holiday film?
    The Man in the High Castle (Amazon UHD) Final season. 5 episodes out of 10. Let's see how it pans out.

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Last night, Peg and I watched episode 1 of The Imagineering Story on Disney+.

Tonight's fare:

[​IMG]

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Message #6470 of 6588 Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    JohnRice

John
    Like Crazy (2011): My next "Messy Love Story" is this interesting little film from 2011 that I stumbled across just a few days ago, and decided to make a blind buy. I'm surprised I'd never heard of it before. It even won Best Picture at Sundance in 2011, so yeah, it's "one of those" movies. That bodes well for me, but it won't for everyone.

College students Jacob (Anton Yelchin) and Anna (Felicity Jones) meet and fall in love a couple months before they graduate. The problem is that desperate, romantic type of love that comes early in a relationship, which makes it impossible for them to part, even for a couple months, once they do graduate. So Anna decides to violate her student visa and stay for the summer. This causes reality to come crashing down a lot faster and harder than it would have, and creates years of obstacles to the relationship.

This is a very minimal movie. Most of what happens isn't shown. It's mostly broad strokes with a lot of holes to be filled in by the viewer. It portrays the kind of behavior and predicaments that only happen in real life, because nobody would believe them in a movie. It's a curious story, with an ambiguous ending that will infuriate viewers who want everything tied up in a nice, tidy box. I'm not certain what I think about it, which I like. I just know I found it to be extremely sad.

People who like it will love it. Those who don't, will probably hate it.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    November 16th, 2019 Saturday

Moana
    4K UHD Digital / Dolby Vision
    7.1.4 Dolby Atmos
    Disney+ via 4K Apple TV (First movie on Disney+)

moana-poster-new.

12. JohnRice

John
    A Monster Calls (2016): Watching Felicity Jones in Like Crazy had me thinking about this movie. Since the evening was still young, I decided to make it a double feature. It's difficult for me to explain my affection for this movie about a young boy who is visited by a giant, talking tree. I ultimately chose it as my favorite movie of the year. That was a surprise to me, considering it came out the same year as Denis Villeneuve's outstanding movie Arrival. I'm inclined to say it's my favorite movie of the entire decade.

*Positively*

*Spectacular*

Jeff Flugel and bujaki like this.
  13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I have some seasons of Have Gun, Will Travel that I think I want to start getting through beginning today.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  14. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    As you're a Gloria Graham fan, I'm surprised you waited so long. It's a good disc of a good film. I'm very pleased. My one reservation is there's a lot of grain. Poor Marcia Henderson has all her close-ups ruined by grain! Russell Metty's nocturnal lighting of exteriors anticipates the look he gave to similar shots in Touch Of Evil.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I got some things going on in my life that has cut into my movie watching.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime UHD) 2019. Last 5 chapters of the final season. Enjoyable, well acted, but found the finale to be rushed. Needed more breathing space, more explanations.
    The White Reindeer (Eureka MoC Zone B) 1952. From Finland, a story of witchcraft, vampirism and a woman who transforms herself into a white reindeer. Shot in a landscape of eternal snow. Fascinating.
    The Song of Bernadette (Eureka MoC Zone B) 1943. I last saw this at MoMA in a magnificent 35mm nitrate print which has stayed with me for over 40 years. Arthur Miller's lighting was simply impressive. This BD sometimes gives you an idea of that original print, but it doesn't quite reach those heights. Still, I was glad to revisit the film because it is so sensitively directed by Henry King and all the actors rise to the challenge of portraying a difficult and moving story of faith. To think that Jones would go from Bernadette to Pearl, Jennie, Ruby. et al, is simply mind boggling. What a talent!
    Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (Eureka MoC Zone B) 1920. This restoration is outstanding. I have seen this film countless times, even in 35mm, but never in such pristine condition. It remains a seminal film in history, a magnificent achievement. The sets and the intertitles alone are a work of expressionistic art. And then there's the story with its unreliable narrator, the story within the story. Plus, it's a horror film as well with Cesare committing all those murders at Caligari's bidding. Or is he?

Jeff Flugel and Robin9 like this.
  17. Toronto Argonauts

Toronto Argonauts Stunt Coordinator

Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
    David Thompson
    Today CFL Football Eastern and Western finals.
    Hamilton vs. Edmonton Hamilton wins to represent the east.
    Winnipeg vs. Saskatchewan Winnipeg wins to represent the west.
    Next week it's on to Calgary for the 107th Grey Cup.

upload_2019-11-18_0-12-18.

To finish off the weekend I watched Fringe season 4 episodes 7,8 and 9

upload_2019-11-18_0-21-5.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. Message #6478 of 6588 Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Unusually for me, I watched two films yesterday. First was Ride Clear Of Diablo, an Audie Murphy western with Abbe Lane in a supporting role. I'd forgotten she was a redhead. I like Abbe Lane, although more as a singer than an actress. Her first film is coming out soon on a 3D Blu-ray disc.

The second film was Death Is A Woman and the title is the only good thing about it. The writer had no understanding of screenplays, the director was totally incompetent and the composer hadn't the first clue about screen scores. I felt sorry for the cast who did the best they could and probably could have done a lot better with proper material and a decent director.

Tonight I'm going to watch Fixed Bayonets on Blu-ray disc..

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    November 17th, 2019 Sunday

Aladdin
    4K UHD Digital / Dolby Vision
    7.1.4 Dolby Atmos
    Disney+ via 4K Apple TV

Aladdin.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. Message #6480 of 6588 Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Mandalorian Ep. 2 (Disney+ UHD) The baby Yoda is so cute!
    The Pathfinder (TCM) 1952. A Columbia production in Technicolor. The transfer was adequate. The screenplay was based on just the title of Cooper's novel. It's a total fabrication with a romantic angle. I've read the Leatherstocking Saga and can attest that Natty Bumppo (Pathfinder) never had a romantic attachment. Good juvenile entertainment.
    Delved into the extras in the Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligary disc. This is a truly fascinating, seminal film.

Jeff Flugel and Dave Moritz like this.