What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, people like the John Wick movies? I’ve never seen any of them.

it seems so, John. I'm one of them and I don't usually like films which feature endless over-the-top violence. But there's something engaging about these three films. They are fun, interesting and I said in the thread on the 3rd film that,, for some reason, I buy into the universe that they've created for these films and just sit back and enjoy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of violent movies, here's one I watched this morning in 3-D on my OLED.

91bGNyHsBPL._SX342_.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 2 (WA BD) Watched the first 5 of 15. Looked so good, even in Cinecolor.
The Younger Generation (TCM app) 1929. Revisited Capra's first part-talkie. Quite good. This print came from Britain.
1928 Amsterdam Olympics: The Dutch Version (Criterion BD) Re-edited from the Italian version, incorporating new footage as well. Watched up to the Intermission, roughly half of the 3 hour duration.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Summer Holiday off the TCM app last night. Warners still hasn't done anything with this unsuccessful musical version of Ah, Wilderness! as the transfer was the same as the DVD with colored spots and speckles throughout. But I have to admit after watching this musical off and on over the past few decades, the score has grown on me. Always loved "The Stanley Steamer Song" and "Independence Day," but some of the others have a way of burrowing into your consciousness after repeated listens. (The Rhino CD soundtrack album also offers a more complete opportunity to hear the score).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
All TCM:
That's My Boy (1932) Richard Cromwell as a football star (??!!). The story has some substance. Mae Marsh plays his mom. Poor print from Columbia/Sony. Had never seen this one.
3 starring Ruth Chatterton:
Madame X (1929) First talkie version of the old chestnut. Chatterton was nominated for an AA for her plummy diction and exaggerated melodramatics, no doubt guided by Lionel Barrymore's execrable direction, also inexplicably nominated. This film was bad in '29; its horrible today. I first saw this turkey over 40 years ago when it was called Absinthe so it wouldn't compete with the far superior 1937 remake starring Gladys George.
A Lady's Morals (1930) A year later, Chatterton is guided by a better director, Sidney Franklin, and the result is much better. She is more relaxed and natural. The film is still somewhat stiff but so much better than Madame X. First saw this a long time ago.
The Crash (1932) Chatterton has left MGM for WB but with a great director, William Dieterle, this is the best film in this group. Her acting points toward her apex, the great Dodsworth, 4 years into her future. The camerawork is most impressive. This is also a revisit.
PBS HD:
American Masters: Raul Julia An appreciation of this great Puerto Rican actor who left us 25 years ago, much too soon at 54 years of age. His talent was protean. He was always proud of his heritage, his name, his accent; as I am.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
the-abyss-poster.jpg

Finally getting some viewing in.

Nice to see you, Marv! How's the home theater holding up?

Really hope we see The Abyss on Blu-Ray and/or 4K soon.

Been a while since I've posted in this thread, but I'm always interested in seeing what you guys have been watching. Here are a few flicks that I've checked out over the past month or so:

81%2Bc3BYYlSL._SX342_.jpg

81g1EQcsMtL._SX342_.jpg

81jgOmJVu6L._SX342_.jpg

MPW-56154

220px-Jivaro_1954_movie_poster.jpg

As you can tell, I've been catching up with some recent Kino Lorber Studio Classics releases. Enjoyed all of them very much. Rhonda Fleming in 3D...wow!

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had a TCM app evening as well tonight.

I started out with Heidi, the 1937 Shirley Temple version which has always been a favorite of mine. Probably taken from the same master as the DVD, but it looked very nice. Mary Nash always makes an excellent villain.

Then I watched Greta Garbo in Susan Lenox - Her Fall and Rise. The ending resolves itself way too quickly and not exactly plausibly, but I'm sure it sent audiences of its day out into the streets with a warm feeling inside.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had a TCM app evening as well tonight.

I started out with Heidi, the 1937 Shirley Temple version which has always been a favorite of mine. Probably taken from the same master as the DVD, but it looked very nice. Mary Nash always makes an excellent villain.

Thanks, Matt! Peg's really been wanting to see this version of Heidi. I hope it sticks around a few more days on the app.

Our viewing tonight was:

512BrD8MG5L._SX425_.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Matt! Peg's really been wanting to see this version of Heidi. I hope it sticks around a few more days on the app.

Till September 17th. Sweet!

I guess we''' be watching tomorrow.

We just sampled the first 15 minutes or so. Looks pretty good.

Every time I see Shirley Temple I am reminded what a special young lady she was. It is so hard to see her smile and not feel good. It's a shame her films have never been better represented on disc.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Defending Your Life (1991): Albert Brooks wrote, directed and starred in this comedy about... wait for it... defending your life, in the afterlife. Classic Albert Brooks self deprecating humor, with Meryl Streep as his love interest, which is fairly amusing in itself. I've seen this several times, and it's just one of those little personal favorites. It's part of the $5 Meryl Streep sale going on at iTunes, which is also an HD upgrade from the DVD, which is the only way it's been available before. Sorry folks, no 4K, HDR or Atmos with this one. :P Not even DD 5.1. Just good old two channel dialog.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No Way Out (TCM app) 1950. Mankiewicz's study of racism. Poitier's spectacular film debut. Darnell is extraordinary. Widmark is nasty. Hadn't seen this film in ages.
I'm going to watch my 2018 MOC Blu-ray this week as I've been meaning to watch and listen to Eddie Muller's commentary on it for a very long time. I bought this BD earlier this year so it's about time I remove it from my "Un-Watched Pile of Discs".

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Till September 17th. Sweet!

I guess we''' be watching tomorrow.

We just sampled the first 15 minutes or so. Looks pretty good.

Every time I see Shirley Temple I am reminded what a special young lady she was. It is so hard to see her smile and not feel good. It's a shame her films have never been better represented on disc.
I hope you like it as much as I do. It's not a subtle movie: most of the characters are of absolutes in terms of good or evil, but it does make you root for the good ones all the same.

Yes, for all the money she brought into Fox in her day, her films haven't been treated with much respect. They mostly look OK, but the transfers we have seem to have been around for ages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks