What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Wasn't able to watch much in the way of films at the end of 2018, but now that my university's on winter break, it's time to fire up the projector and start catching up. First up today, on DVD: a Popeye cartoon ("The Football Toucher Downer" from 1937), then Seven Men From Now (1956), a terrific Randolph Scott / Budd Boetticher western, co-starring Lee Marvin as a charming killer and sad-eyed beauty Gail Russell.

5c892fb2cc70240ad3d9d5b83a33a607--walter-reed-walter-obrien.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Army of Frankensteins (BD)
If Beale Street Could Sing (DCP)
I thought Eighth Grade was one of the year's outstanding films.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
This weekend I only watched a couple of films. One film was "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" at my local cinema. A pretty good animation film, but one that I won't buy on disc. The other was TCM's Noir Alley showing of "His Kind of Woman". An overlong film that I have to be in a certain mood to watch as it's about 20 minutes too long that Howard Hughes indulge himself in making back in 1950. Vincent Price was obnoxious in this film as he really hammed it up as he did in other films afterwards. Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell were good and so was Raymond Burr in his usual baddie role before he worked the courtrooms of Perry Mason.

Like this film a lot, and really like Vincent Price in it. I do agree that it is overlong and a bit oddly paced. Mitchum and Russell are a match made in Hollywood heaven.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I went to the TCM app tonight and watched two totally different genre films.

First up was The Blue Gardenia. I'm sure I've seen this before, but much of it seemed unfamiliar to me, so if I had seen it, it was a long time ago. Very enjoyable mystery thriller. George Reeves had a nice part in it.

Then I watched That's Dancing! I only have this on DVD, so seeing it in HD was a treat. A couple of dud numbers pulled from the vast selection of dance numbers the producers had to pick from ("I Left My Hat in Haiti" had only Technicolor working for it. No outstanding dancing on display even if Astaire was in it. I'd rather have seen "Mr. and Mrs. Hoofer at Home" if they needed another Astaire dance.)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The%2BSea%2BHawk%2B00.jpg

Viewed the above on DVD, as I have yet to order the recent Blu-Ray release. Ironically, I've had the DVD for years without getting around to it. I've no doubt that the new Blu looks amazing, as I thought the DVD looked quite good in its own right, upscaled on my projector. A rousing swashbuckler, to be sure. The romance element was a bit of a dud, despite Brenda Marshall's beauty, but everything else about this one rocks. I'd still rank this below The Adventures of Robin Hood and Gentleman Jim on my personal scale of favorite Flynn flicks, but it's a highly enjoyable adventure movie made with impeccable craft. Am very happy this was released on Blu and will pick up a copy of it someday soon.

Also watched a few WB cartoon shorts as an accompaniment, "Holiday for Shoestrings (1946) and "Bewitched Bunny (1954).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I went to the TCM app tonight and watched two totally different genre films.

First up was The Blue Gardenia. I'm sure I've seen this before, but much of it seemed unfamiliar to me, so if I had seen it, it was a long time ago. Very enjoyable mystery thriller. George Reeves had a nice part in it.

Then I watched That's Dancing! I only have this on DVD, so seeing it in HD was a treat. A couple of dud numbers pulled from the vast selection of dance numbers the producers had to pick from ("I Left My Hat in Haiti" had only Technicolor working for it. No outstanding dancing on display even if Astaire was in it. I'd rather have seen "Mr. and Mrs. Hoofer at Home" if they needed another Astaire dance.)
Eddie Muller showed it on Noir Alley either early last year or in 2017. You might have missed it, but I remember his comments about it.

Edit:
We had an exchange about "The Blue Gardenia" back in April, 2017 in my "Crawdaddy Random Thoughts" thread.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4475126/
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4475413/

Also, I found this link that has the list of titles shown on Noir Alley for the past year or two.
https://letterboxd.com/maxvayne/list/turner-classic-movies-noir-alley/

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't check back with you in your thread about it, so I'm not sure if I watched it or not. As I said, parts seemed familiar, but the ending didn't. Maybe I just saw part of it. Also, I had just gotten a new DVR around that time, and programming it in the first weeks was stop and go; it missed as much as it recorded for some strange reason. It's much more reliable now.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't check back with you in your thread about it, so I'm not sure if I watched it or not. As I said, parts seemed familiar, but the ending didn't. Maybe I just saw part of it. Also, I had just gotten a new DVR around that time, and programming it in the first weeks was stop and go; it missed as much as it recorded for some strange reason. It's much more reliable now.
As I stated, you might have missed it as I did with a few of those early showings in 2017.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched the Eureka Blu-ray disc of The Tarnished Angels, my favorite film directed by Douglas Sirk. It's an excellent transfer of an excellent movie.

As a follow-up I was going to watch Written On The Wind today but Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye has just arrived so tonight I'll watch that.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Spiral Staircase (Kino BD). I saw a gorgeous 35mm print in NYC sometime in the '70s. It did look better than this BD, which was fine.
If You Meet Sartana...Pray for Your Death (Arrow BD)
Vice (DCP)
Green Book (DCP)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This afternoon I watched Lucie Arnaz's loving, Emmy Award-winning tribute to her parents' marriage on DVD. What I liked best about the remembrance was that it wasn't all laudatory. She and Desi Jr. talked about the bad times at the end of the marriage, and close friends like Carole Cook also told the truth, not always complimentary about Lucy and Desi.

Tonight, before catching up with recorded TV, I watched Pursuit to Algiers for the umpteenth time on Blu-ray. Never tire of the Sherlock Holmes series, even the lesser entries in the series.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
519H1V8kaIL.jpg

Outstanding film. Saw it last summer on the plane, and could barely make out half the dialogue due to the usual airplane noise and crappy headphones. Glad to see it on Blu-Ray properly projected and with much better sound.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
519H1V8kaIL.jpg

Outstanding film. Saw it last summer on the plane, and could barely make out half the dialogue due to the usual airplane noise and crappy headphones. Glad to see it on Blu-Ray properly projected and with much better sound.
I'm still pissed that Lionsgate never released this excellent film on 4K/UHD disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Spiral Staircase (Kino BD). I saw a gorgeous 35mm print in NYC sometime in the '70s. It did look better than this BD, which was fine.
If You Meet Sartana...Pray for Your Death (Arrow BD)
Vice (DCP)
Green Book (DCP)
Man, I wish I had such a vivid memory from something I seen 40 years ago.:)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I watched the following Blu-rays:

Tell Them Willie Boy Was Here
Lisbon

How was Lisbon, Robert? It's not as well-reviewed a title as A Man Alone, but I like these types of 50s adventure melodramas filmed in exotic locales. Planning on picking up both of these Ray Milland-directed Kino Blus soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks