What's new

What was your very first DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
Mine was the Non SE Of Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldeneye in rare Jewel Cases. Still have them to this day. I bought them along with my MultiRegion Sony DSVP 715 DVD player in 1998 costing then a whopping £650 all in, almost $1000 in US money.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
My first DVD player was also something around 1000$ and it was only a region 1 player! It was so early that there wasn't region 2 DVDs yet! I still can not believe it cost that much!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
my first dvd was slap shot. i have the newer version, but i kept the old one too, i would only get a few bucks for it if i tried to sell it anyway.

CJ

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I bought my first dvd movie a month before I had the dvd player.. it was the 1989 batman movie.

JACOB

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Austin Powers - International Man of Mystery

Still probably the single most watched disc in my collection, due to the fact that I bought it with my first player in June of 1998, and NO ONE else I knew had a DVD player back then, so everyone had to come by and check it out. In fact, I doubt most of them ever thought there would ever be the need to get one. Out of about 5 movies, ("Starship Troopers", "The Mask", "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" among the few others) "Austin Powers" was always the pick. I must've watched that movie ten times in 4 weeks. Like being a junior high kid again.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
My first player was Xmas '98, and I bought:

Lethal Weapon 4
Blade
The Exorcist (25th Anniv. Edition)
Tomorrow Never Dies (Original S.E. with silver cover)

I'm still happy with all four of these. (Although I've got another TND disc in the 1st Bond set I bought the following year).

I remember being AMAZED at the amount of extras on these discs. I was used to laserdiscs where you sometimes had to pay $124.99 just for a commentary and a few trailers. Madness indeed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yeah, after all of the nay-saying that the LD fanatics said against DVD before it's release*, the actual revelation of DVD's qualities on all fronts (PQ - extras - navigation - multiple audio tracks, etc.) was stunning.

*Kevin Smith was among this crowd on his Clerks commentary if I remember...something which he later retracted after actually experiencing DVD. :D

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
1997: The Usual Suspects, in the hard plastic "Polygram" case, before packaging had been standardized. (And you thought "Snappers" were bad!)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Ahhh, the memories! I bought my first DVD player in 1999 with two DVDs:
Stop Making Sense and
Army of Darkness: Limited Edition

I was pumped. Even in '99 I was the first person I knew who had a DVD player and yet most people were only slightly curious about the new-fangled "appliance".

"So, it's supposed to look better...?"

I tried hooking it up to my roommate's ancient TV via my ancient VCR -- just popped in the Talking Heads disc, only to slowly discover the annoying contrast-shifting wonder that is Macrovision! I was thrown off because Army of Darkness didn't have any copy protection at all. An RF modulator was soon to follow.

Ahhh, the good ol' days. Hardly anything was OOP, every dip was a single-dip... oh, and bare-bones single discs were often $29.99.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Aug 2000 - Supergirl review disc followed swiftly by The Living Daylights.
Jan 2001 - Gladiator.

Bought my first player in March 2001!

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
My first DVDs that I bought:

Desperado
Philadelphia

Remember when Columbia/Tri-Star had those DVDs with the ugly blue background and that cheesy "Reach for the Stars" movie clip before the movie? Yuck...

DVDs I got for free for buying the player:

Wedding Singer
Lost in Space
Eraser
U.S. Marshals
City of Angels

I only ended up keeping Wedding Singer and Eraser.

Will Hickam

Auditioning
The first DVDs that I bought were LA Confidential and Boogie Nights the same day I got my first player in November 1998. Also got five free DVDs from Best Buy with purchase of player: Perfect Murder, US Marshals, Lost in Space, Sphere and City of Angels.

BTW... My first DVD player was a Panasonic A100 which was a piece of crap and got replaced with a year later with a Sony DVP-S530D which I've had ever since.

Michael T

Grip
Gladiator (2000 DTS Edition) the day it came out. When I heard that DTS intro I knew the DVD format was going to be something very special.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I collected laserdiscs for years, and until February 25,
1999 I wasn't too interested in upgrading to DVD. Then
a fire broke out in the apartment above me, and my audio
and video equipment was destroyed by the water needed to
put out the fire. I got a good insurance settlement and
upgraded my disc player to the Pioneer DVL-909 combo
player. My first DVD purchase was to upgrade a ruined
laserdisc (Dolores Claiborne). I immediately saw that
DVD was here to stay and laserdiscs were finished- the
picture quality blew away lasers. I still have that
Pioneer combo player, and have added 3 more players
and 600 DVDs to my library. I think my second DVD
might have been As Good As It Gets (also to replace
a bad laserdisc).

David Rosen

Agent
I got She's All That. Back in the day I was at home and my parents didn't think that DVDs would stick around, so I ended up getting it when they bought a new computer that had a DVD player in it and I loved the movie so much. I watched it so many times that for my birthday a week later they bought me a portable Panasonic DVD player and Inspector Gadget, and my friends bought me Austin Powers: The Spy That Shagged Me, Big Daddy, and another title (but I can't remember which one now that I have so many).

Anyways, good times...

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
The first one I owned was 101 Dalmatians (I was 10), the first DVDs I ever bought were Legally Blonde and Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and my first set was Friends: The Complete Third Season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks