What's new

What was your very first DVD? (1 Viewer)

RobertM.Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
first disk I ever bought was a used copy of Princess Mononoke. It was just a few weeks after release and I was surprised to see

A. stores selling used DVD's.

and B. someone would have sold this already.

...so with no DVD player to my name at all, I snatched it up...

all downhill from that point on...

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
The first "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "2001: A Space Odyssey" discs were bought in 1999 when I got my first player for Christmas that year.

Both titles have since been upgraded and I'm on my third player.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I actually got four movies for my birthday in 1999, which was about a week or two before I bought my player. It's been so long that I forgot but I think they might have been:

Aliens: Special Edition
The Right Stuff (The original two-sided snapper, since replaced)
Silverado (The old, incorrectly framed version, since replaced)
2001 (The old, non-anamorphic MGM version, since replaced)

I also got one disk when I bought my player, the original two-sided Blazing Saddles, since replaced.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
My first DVD was Night of the Living Dead (UAV)

I got my Pioneer LD/DVD combo player in late 96 or early 97...but there were absolutely NO DVD's available in the area for the longest time...this was the first one I found around May (at Best Buy in the CD section!) and let me tell you it is pure crap, here is what The Digital Bits had to say about it:

He ain't lying folks! It sucks, but it was the first one I ever owned so I have kept it for posterity.

...also the Pioneer DVL-700 player is still going strong after 9 years, I watch LD's on it often.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Batman was my first DVD--it was my first VHS purchase too. I bought Batman, then acquired Blazing Saddles and two other titles that escape me now before purchasing my first player.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Ah, the memories: December, 2000: Bought my 1st player, a Sony that cost about $300. (I've since upgraded to a Sony 5-disc carousel that cost half what the old one did.) By then I'd already decided that Gladiator would be the 1st DVD I'd buy.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

What a difference a year makes! I now have over 700 titles, and no wife! No regrets.:D

Oh, I kept "Hurricane", ain't I a dog?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Oh my God! I'm here with a bunch of late adopters! :D My first DVD was Goldeneye and T2! The T2 DVD is kind of a collector piece now!

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I think it was April of 98'. I got a $400 gift certificate for my birthday. My parents knew I wanted a dvd player so that is what it was for.

Remember when the [rant]cheapest[/rant] dvd players were $400? (!!!) Holy cow!

Anyway, I bought two movies when I got mine. I bought the Fifth Element (still haven't gotten the Superbit) and Long Kiss Goodnight.

Less than four weeks later the first dvd player with dts digital out came out. It was a Panasonic. They had the "cheap" one that I traded my Toshiba for and the $600 version that had component video and a jog dial. Wow.

Times have changed.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Early adopter here. First disc was THE EXORCIST, in March 1997 (the first edition; I'm sure there'll be even more). :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well you're all a bunch of wet behind the ears punks ;), after talking about the UAV NOTLD DVD I thought I would pop it in for the hell of it & it turns out that I kept the receipt in the case for some reason, 2/18/97.

What was the second disc you guys bought? Mine was either Taxi Driver, Blade Runner or Seven.

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
My first DVD purchased/ posted to me was R1 Spartacus
January 28,1999. I wanted to ensure that when I finally got a DVD player it was multi-zone. Didn't actually get the player until March as supplies came direct from Tokyo & were very slow. It was quite some time before I started buying R4 DVDs.

Kenneth Bova

Agent
My first DVD was Bottle Rocket in August '99. When I saw that this film was available on DVD (and in widescreen!), I knew I had to get a DVD player. So I bought this one day, then got my player the next. The disc doesn't even have one special feature, but it's still one of my favorite and most watched DVDs.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

O'yea! The Panasonic A-120. I saved for months before its release so I could get one. I was in college at the time so that was quite a challenge. Man, this thread really takes me back and I'm only 27! :D

Anyone else remember the early threads about hunting down DVDs locally? I remember reading about the New York group that would gather on the weekends and scaur stores looking for various titles. O' those were the days....

Just imagine 8 years from now the "What was your very first hi-def DVD" thread or "What was your very last DVD".

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
My first were three that came with my player when I bought it in 2001;

'Die Hard'
'X-Men'
'There's Something About Mary'

The first title I actually bought myself was 'Year of the Horse'

That same player has only just died, but I suppose that's what you can expect when you literally don't turn it off for two years...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks