What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What was your very first DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Brett, I'm the same as you. Very few VHS tapes, but DVD has been a different story. I was lucky to make the same choice w/r/t audio only formats, too. I didn't really start an audio collection until CD's were available.

First DVD for me, by the way, The Fugitive. The next batch was the 4 or 5 DVD's that came free with the purchase of my player. Lost In Space, Lethal Weapon 4, Stepmom, Six Days Seven Nights...

JKS

John*P

Second Unit
The first DVD I ever bought was the first Universal release of "The Breakfast Club". I bought it around June/July of 2000 for about $20 at Circuit City.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid during the spring of 2000, when all I had was a DVD player in my new computer.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Same here. I used to get the VHS of a title, then the WS VHS then the DVD, then the SE.

My first DVD was Bram Stoker's Dracula. My first player was a Mitsubishi in '98 for $600...!!!!

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
The only VHS I ever bought were various Star Wars incarnations (though I boycotted Episode I until it came out on DVD, I was already converted in 1999). I own ~300 DVD titles now. :)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My first DVDs were a double purchase I made when I bought my first DVD player (a Philips for ~$300) in July of 1999: Lost in Space & Blade. I remember how wowed I was at not only how crystal clear the movies were but how tricked out they were with extras.

I now have about 375 DVDs and a Panny 5 Disc carousel.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season One).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Blazing Saddles - Moved into DVD's from Laser Discs because the DVD version of Blazing Saddles was letterboxed and the laser disc wasn't. JFK was right after that and I was mad that the DVD player did not flip over to the other side as the laser disc player did. JFK was on two sides.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tough to say which was my first, depends on your perspective:

I ordered the original Stanley Kubrick Collection (which lacked EWS and the bonus disc) before I actually got my DVD player, knowing I was going to have it within a few weeks. But when I got the player earlier than expected, I went out and bought "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut".

So, the first Kubrick box was the first DVD I ordered and paid for, but the South Park movie was the first DVD I actually had possession of.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I purchased The Blues Brothers sometime in 1998. I didn't even have a DVD player (yet) but my dad had just purchased a computer with a DVD-ROM drive. I remember inserting the disc and after a few seconds, I yelled down the hall, "It works!!!"

My younger brother's first DVD was Rush Hour. Unfortunately, the computer had trouble playing it and would simply loop the menu. I think we were able to figure it out later but I don't remember how.

I remember buying The Abyss (my first 2-disc set) and the menu would freeze for about five or six seconds but thankfully, the computer played it just fine.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased my first DVD player in May 1997 at Best Buy for $499 (cheapest model). There were only 4 titles from Sony to choose from since Warner was still only releasing in the seven test cities which were all too far from where I lived. I picked up In the Line of Fire, Jumanji, and Legends of the Fall, all barebones for $24.99 each.

On a side note: I was also a "victim" of UAV when I purchased their edition of Royal Wedding starring Fred Astaire for $19.99 shortly thereafter. I've never felt so ripped off in my life.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
By the time I bought my first player (a Toshiba from Sam's in 1998 for $450), Best Buy already had a decent stock of titles. My first purchase was Universal's Spartacus and WB's Strangers On a Train (flip case version), which was a flipper with a different cut on each side which I thought having two cuts of the film on one CD-sized disc was really cool.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Another poster reminded me of something I neglected to mention. I too bought my first DVD (the first season of TNG) before I had a DVD player. Thus far, I have not been tempted to purchase my first Blue ray, even though I have yet to purchase a Blue ray player. ;)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
First DVD: Titanic (original 1999 release).

It was hearing about the eventual release that prompted me to get a DVD player. I picked up the disc on its release day before I got the player, and was intrigued by the fact that the surface was gold colored and that a 3+ hour film fit on this shiny new disc. Sure beat that double VHS set!

I didn't have any sort of modern television, home theater setup or even stereo speakers, but I had a great sounding pair of headphones so I plugged them into the front jack and listened to the new (to me) Dolby Digital sound that way....ah, simpler times
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The ability to skip to certain scenes just like tracks on a CD, that cool trailer. Color me impressed, though in hindsight it's just non-anamorphic slim pickings compared to what DVD releases were capable of, but I loved the cover art.

First Blu was Batman Begins. Came free with the PS3.

Dan1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
The first DVDs I purchased were "The Godfather Trilogy" and "Citizen Kane", both at Costco. I bought them about a week before I bought my first DVD player, a Panasonic RV31K for the "cheap" price of $170 at Best Buy. This was back in November, 2001.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I also ended up owning DVDs before I had a player to watch them on.

I bought two DVDs the day I bought my first player in the fall of 1997 - Fargo and The Usual Suspects. I think I paid $500 for a Toshiba, I forget the model. But when I got home from Best Buy that day I checked my computer and found out that the 2nd generation Toshiba players, which had been hearing about for months, were going to be in stores in two weeks. (I'm not sure if I learned this on the HTF, which was then really just gearing up, or on the old Compuserve Consumer Electronics Forum, which in terms of membership was very much the precursor to this place.) I turned right around and took the player, unopened, back to Best Buy for a full refund and bought my 2nd player two weeks later. I think I bought a couple of additional titles - a couple of the early Warners discs like Batman and In the Line of Fire and maybe Unforgiven - at the same time. I do remember that my first "batch" of disc, in the first month, included those titles along with GoodFellas and The Right Stuff. (Both "flippers".) I also remember being annoyed that the Polygram titles (Fargo and Suspects) were non-anamorphic, since I had a 56" widescreen TV (SD, analog) and loved the way the WB discs looked. (Prior to that I had only had a single anamorphic laserdisc - The Fugitive - to take full advantage of my TV.) Come to think of it I was really annoyed that the Polygrams shipped in those strange "guillotine" cases that invariably scratched the discs. (I returned both films as "defective" more than once before someone at Best Buy figured out what was causing the problem and gave me a couple of jewel cases to keep them in. ;))

Ah, the good old days. :D

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks