What's new

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Random question I wanna throw out there to start getting some advice from everybody,
What Television series, miniseries, TV movie, do you watch in the past week Or longer that you recommended highly?

Why do you recommend?

OK, I’m gonna start
Dark matter

Apple TV+
Joel Edgerton, and Jennifer Connolly
Fantastic twilight zone ish plot, engage in characters and as soon as I turned it on, I had to see more and more and more

Highly recommended

IMG_6945.jpeg

Last edited:

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I never watched the first season (2015) until after season two dropped. I’m a true crime/documentary fanatic and tore through both seasons. It probably helped that I wasn’t really familiar with the case so it held a higher level of suspense for me. On Max.
IMG_4554.jpeg

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I never watched the first season (2015) until after season two dropped. I’m a true crime/documentary fanatic and tore through both seasons. It probably helped that I wasn’t really familiar with the case so it held a higher level of suspense for me. On Max.
View attachment 222675
Show is excellent
I’m hanging on every episode
Watching him speak the other day was awful. He’s a demonic man.

Brilliant, brilliant groundbreaking show agreed

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Very slowly working my way through season one of Fallout on Amazon Prime. Watched the penultimate episode for season one on Wednesday and plan to watch the finale on Saturday. I've played multiple titles in Bethesda Games' Fallout franchise and this series works for gamers and non-gamers alike. (Tons of Easter eggs and references for those familiar with the Fallout games, which are just the cherry on top.)

Fans of post Apocalyptic Science Fiction with a slightly bent sense of humor would enjoy this series. Renewed for Season Two, BTW. Also worth watching for fans of Walton Goggins ( who owns every scene featuring him. )

- Walter.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Very slowly working my way through season one of Fallout on Amazon Prime. Watched the penultimate episode for season one on Wednesday and plan to watch the finale on Saturday. I've played multiple titles in Bethesda Games' Fallout franchise and this series works for gamers and non-gamers alike. (Tons of Easter eggs and references for those familiar with the Fallout games, which are just the cherry on top.)

Fans of post Apocalyptic Science Fiction with a slightly bent sense of humor would enjoy this series. Renewed for Season Two, BTW. Also worth watching for fans of Walton Goggins ( who owns every scene featuring him. )

- Walter.
Walton Goggins Is A chameleon, he’s one of the best actors out there. Great great recommendation.
Thank you!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Random question I wanna throw out there to start getting some advice from everybody,
What Television series, miniseries, TV movie, do you watch in the past week Or longer that you recommended highly?

Why do you recommend?

OK, I’m gonna start
Dark matter

Apple TV+
Joel Edgerton, and Jennifer Connolly
Fantastic twilight zone ish plot, engage in characters and as soon as I turned it on, I had to see more and more and more

Highly recommended

View attachment 222670

Hmmm... There was apparently also another well-received SciFi series by that name from a handful years earlier. Seems no connections between the two.

View attachment 222675

Interesting... Did you see the movie, All Good Things, by the same director from 4-5 years before this series? Seemed to get panned by many... though Roger Ebert liked it (and gave it 3-1/2 stars).

Wonder if it might make sense to watch that movie first -- I'm guessing the movie won't play as well after seeing this doc series, especially given how it got panned as it was...

I don't currently have Max (and probably won't until at least mid-autumn or so), but that movie seems (currently) available all of the streaming landscape...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As for a series I (very) recently (finally) watched/finished and liked (and even loved for the most part), Gilmore Girls (and its short season follow-up a decade later on NetFlix) is quite good, especially for a fairly-long-running series actually originally made for network TV (The WB/CW)... unless that's not your cup-of-tea at all -- I did find the follow-up short season weaker, and yeah, it can feel a tad whiny at times (and I occasionally wanna question the intelligence/wisdom of at least a character or two whom I feel should be smarter/wiser), particularly in that follow-up and maybe the final season or so...

But most anyone who'd like it has probably already seen it by now, so...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hmmm... There was apparently also another well-received SciFi series by that name from a handful years earlier. Seems no connections between the two.
The prior Dark Matter is from when low-budget Canadian scifi was the name of the Netflix game. That show was fantastic and canceled mid story. This new Dark Matter is an adaptation of Blake Crouch’s novel of the same name.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Scavengers Reign.
I’m 8/12 episodes and this is maybe the best space scifi I’ve watched since The Expanse. The easiest comparison in my mind is Larry Niven’s Ringworld animated by Studio Ghlibli. Wildly imaginative, world-building, survival horror scifi with lush organic hand-drawn style animation.

It debuted on HBO and they killed it. Netflix bought it re-releases it soon. There’s hope it will get a second season if viewership is good.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

Interesting... Did you see the movie, All Good Things, by the same director from 4-5 years before this series? Seemed to get panned by many... though Roger Ebert liked it (and gave it 3-1/2 stars).

Wonder if it might make sense to watch that movie first -- I'm guessing the movie won't play as well after seeing this doc series, especially given how it got panned as it was...

I don't currently have Max (and probably won't until at least mid-autumn or so), but that movie seems (currently) available all of the streaming landscape...

_Man_
The movie all good things is exactly why Robert Durst agreed to have the Director interview him

he felt that the Director understood him, He should have watched, capturing the Friedmans before he allowed this guy to make a documentary about him though

His vanity was his demise

And if you were watching in real time, it was absolutely shocking to watch the final episode of the first series

But I don’t think you have to watch the movie at all no,

The movie is a dramatization of this guy’s life, Robert Durst

Part of one of the biggest real estate families in history, billionaires that own some of the largest buildings in New York City and across the world

The documentary is talking to the guy that Ryan Gosling played in the movie

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
As for a series I (very) recently (finally) watched/finished and liked (and even loved for the most part), Gilmore Girls (and its short season follow-up a decade later on NetFlix) is quite good, especially for a fairly-long-running series actually originally made for network TV (The WB/CW)... unless that's not your cup-of-tea at all -- I did find the follow-up short season weaker, and yeah, it can feel a tad whiny at times (and I occasionally wanna question the intelligence/wisdom of at least a character or two whom I feel should be smarter/wiser), particularly in that follow-up and maybe the final season or so...

But most anyone who'd like it has probably already seen it by now, so...

_Man_
My wife is a huge Gilmore girls fan, is this worth giving a try?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Well, if your wife is already a huge fan, why not give it a try, heh? Shouldn't take more than a couple episodes to know whether you should keep going w/ it (unlike many others). Even if you can't/don't really identify/sympathize/empathize w/ the primary characters (and many of the others), you might still enjoy the repartee and maybe one or two of the more stoic/"straight" characters (who eventually get more involved), heh, but yeah, shouldn't take more than a couple episodes to know/decide me thinks...

And if you do enjoy it enough, you just found another something to share/enjoy w/ your wife, which is probably worth the "investment" -- maybe just do that initial trial w/out your wife knowing until you think you'll like it enough, heh... ;):D:cool:

_Man_

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Well, if your wife is already a huge fan, why not give it a try, heh? Shouldn't take more than a couple episodes to know whether you should keep going w/ it (unlike many others). Even if you can't/don't really identify/sympathize/empathize w/ the primary characters (and many of the others), you might still enjoy the repartee and maybe one or two of the more stoic/"straight" characters (who eventually get more involved), heh, but yeah, shouldn't take more than a couple episodes to know/decide me thinks...

And if you do enjoy it enough, you just found another something to share/enjoy w/ your wife, which is probably worth the "investment" -- maybe just do that initial trial w/out your wife knowing until you think you'll like it enough, heh... ;):D:cool:

_Man_
I think Be in shock if I told her I was watching Gilmore girls

It’s been about 10 years for us since she would watch them every day
And then I started to watch a few. They were compelling it was fun to watch and I love the actresses. They do great jobs.

I’ll give it a shot absolutely

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Scavengers Reign.
I’m 8/12 episodes and this is maybe the best space scifi I’ve watched since The Expanse. The easiest comparison in my mind is Larry Niven’s Ringworld animated by Studio Ghlibli. Wildly imaginative, world-building, survival horror scifi with lush organic hand-drawn style animation.

It debuted on HBO and they killed it. Netflix bought it re-releases it soon. There’s hope it will get a second season if viewership is good.

Yeah??
OK, thank you thank you
I’ll give it a shot

I hate it when HBO does that. When they canceled HBO’s ROME, I was devastated
Then Bruno Heller, the creator had to take his six season arc and compress it into eight episodes of season two Netflix wasnt an option back then

but this was the golden age of televisions beginning if you ask me, it was the most expensive show HBO ever committed to the first season cost of words of 100 million to make with stand outcast and storytelling. The first season is all about the rise and fall of Julius Caesar.

It was too expensive. They said they cut it.
Years later, they went on to say it was a mistake

Then Keihm Game of Thrones

But to your point, yes I hate it when that happens

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

It is a fun show, although a lot of the pop culture references will feel dated since it was an early 2000's series. The writing style of the series is reminiscent of 40's screwball comedies with 'mile a minute' dialog. If a joke doesn't land, another one will follow very shortly.

I was a huge fan of this show during its initial run. I haven't watched it in ages, so I am uncertain how much of the original soundtrack survives (although I am guessing most of it). I mention this, because in addition to the characters and writing, the musical selections for the show were really well done and actually introduced me some new artists.

I'd say it is definitely worth trying. The style of the show is pretty consistent and if you aren't enjoyed the series after one or two episodes, it is probably time to move on.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The prior Dark Matter is from when low-budget Canadian scifi was the name of the Netflix game. That show was fantastic and canceled mid story. This new Dark Matter is an adaptation of Blake Crouch’s novel of the same name.

I was a big fan of the SciFi Channel's version of Dark Matter. It was a fairly low budget affair, but the cast was engaging and it was a diverting way to spend an hour in one of my favorite genres.

Always enjoyed a Friday double header of Dark Matter and Killjoys.

- Walter.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

_Man_
I just rewatched All Good Things. I saw it several years ago but didn’t know anything of the Durst story. I didn’t like it the second time around. The fictionalized parts deviate so far from reality it’s just ridiculous. It’s hard to believe Jarecki was involved with it. The first season of Jinx is available on DVD (my library has it) but is eight years older than season two. A LOT has happened since then!

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
I was a big fan of the SciFi Channel's version of Dark Matter. It was a fairly low budget affair, but the cast was engaging and it was a diverting way to spend an hour in one of my favorite genres.

Always enjoyed a Friday double header of Dark Matter and Killjoys.

- Walter.
I didn’t find the SyFy channel Dark Matter low budget at all. If it was, it didn’t show it. Granted it didn’t have the budget of Battlestar Galatica. it was a well made show as well.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I recall some episodes of Dark Matter that might have been shot inside warehouses. I am not saying that the sets were made of paper mache, :) but there were some episodes that were fairly basic in terms of their production design. I seem to recall a mining planet episode that gave that impression. I don't recall specifics but I think the series also utilized 'bottle' story lines where all, or nearly all, of the episode was set aboard the Raza; which is another way of reducing production costs.

I am not denigrating the show, it was well made and I thought the production team did a good job of utilizing the resources at hand.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks