What's new

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I just rewatched All Good Things. I saw it several years ago but didn’t know anything of the Durst story. I didn’t like it the second time around. The fictionalized parts deviate so far from reality it’s just ridiculous. It’s hard to believe Jarecki was involved with it. The first season of Jinx is available on DVD (my library has it) but is eight years older than season two. A LOT has happened since then!
So much has happened since season one.
He died
As soon as Justice was served, and he put himself in a corner at the end of season one

Somebody told me they made a season two And I jumped on it. Then somebody told me by the way Robert Durst died two years ago

I said what he did????

I had no clue

I will have to watch Jarecki‘s movie all small things eventually

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I recall some episodes of Dark Matter that might have been shot inside warehouses. I am not saying that the sets were made of paper mache, :) but there were some episodes that were fairly basic in terms of their production design. I seem to recall a mining planet episode that gave that impression. I don't recall specifics but I think the series also utilized 'bottle' story lines where all, or nearly all, of the episode was set aboard the Raza; which is another way of reducing production costs.

I am not denigrating the show, it was well made and I thought the production team did a good job of utilizing the resources at hand.

- Walter.
Is it based on the same story Walter as the new Apple TV show?

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
Of course I am finishing up a rewatch of Evil since the new season is out now. What a great series. It’s a great series. With the viewership, I’m surprise it lasted four seasons but happy it did. seasons 1 and 2 are also airing on Netflix in addition to its regular home of Paramount +.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
I recall some episodes of Dark Matter that might have been shot inside warehouses. I am not saying that the sets were made of paper mache, :) but there were some episodes that were fairly basic in terms of their production design. I seem to recall a mining planet episode that gave that impression. I don't recall specifics but I think the series also utilized 'bottle' story lines where all, or nearly all, of the episode was set aboard the Raza; which is another way of reducing production costs.

I am not denigrating the show, it was well made and I thought the production team did a good job of utilizing the resources at hand.

- Walter.
Indeed, I do think it had a smaller budget than some other series given it was on Syfy. They had their fair share of bottle shows too so, in that sense, you are accurate.

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
The prior Dark Matter is from when low-budget Canadian scifi was the name of the Netflix game. That show was fantastic and canceled mid story. This new Dark Matter is an adaptation of Blake Crouch’s novel of the same name.
I’ve enjoyed the series so far. Funny how times change when I pitched a similar story to Alex De Benedetti at DeLaurentiis Productions, he felt it was to abstract for folks to understand. Sophistication changes with time. Glad that Blake got his book and series produced. He’s a terrific writer.

Last edited:

Wayne Klein

Supporting Actor
I haven't viewed the new A+ series Dark Matter yet, but I will probably start it within the next week or so. Based on DaveF's comments and Blake Crouch's IMDB page, sure doesn't look like it.

- Walter.
It’s not. It’s based on Blake’s novel of the same name that came out in 2016. It’s actually pretty close to the novel so far. Blake Crouch also created the series based on his novel and has written or co-written five of the episodes.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
It’s not. It’s based on Blake’s novel of the same name that came out in 2016. It’s actually pretty close to the novel so far. Blake Crouch also created the series based on his novel and has written or co-written five of the episodes.
Ok.
It’s got the promise to be a fantastic engaging series. It really does.

It holds you in its grasp throughout each episode and by the time you’re done with one your mind is going in circles trying to understood what you just saw

Trying to interpret where it’s going what it all means

And eventually for me, I just arrive at wanting to see the next one immediately

That’s what I love about television, or the Long format storytelling as Martin Scorsese he calls it

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, back in the late 90’s I was a Backstreet Boys fan…of their music. No concerts, t-shirts, posters, etc. I still check out their new music but that’s about it. I remember the allegations against Nick Carter causing ABC to drop their Christmas special a few years ago. But I had NO idea of most of this. And Aaron was always the little brother riding on the coattails of Nick’ success. This four part series explores it all. The entire Carter family is the very definition of dysfunctional. There’s so much fame-induced privilege and LOT of anger in these kids. It’s graphic, not an easy watch and very unsettling. You can’t make this stuff up. On MAX.
IMG_4661.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, back in the late 90’s I was a Backstreet Boys fan…of their music. No concerts, t-shirts, posters, etc. I still check out their new music but that’s about it. I remember the allegations against Nick Carter causing ABC to drop their Christmas special a few years ago. But I had NO idea of most of this. And Aaron was always the little brother riding on the coattails of Nick’ success. This four part series explores it all. The entire Carter family is the very definition of dysfunctional. There’s so much fame-induced privilege and LOT of anger in these kids. It’s graphic, not an easy watch and very unsettling. You can’t make this stuff up. On MAX. View attachment 223339
Not my thing, but I have younger friends and family who might be really interested.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
LOVED this! I’m a sucker for the financial scam artist type documentaries and this doesn’t disappoint. It’s a fast paced 90 minutes and you can just see the second things changed and sent MoviePass to its eventual grave. (Yes, it’s returned with a new business model run by one of the original founders.)
Fascinating stuff. On MAX.
IMG_4665.jpeg

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Some shows I have watched recently and really enjoyed (in no particular order):

A Gentleman in Moscow
Lawmen Bass Reeves
Your Honor
Mare of Easttown
Fallout
Under the Bridge
Sharp Objects

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Another fascinating documentary. I’d never even HEARD of Brandy Melville until tonight. I didn’t realize how long they’d been around. While this focuses mainly on BM it also attacks the whole fast (and traditional) fashion industry, mass consumption and our disposable consumerism mentality. If you thought Abercrombie & Fitch was a toxic workplace just wait! When I Googled to see if there were any stores nearby I thought it was surprising how lawsuits and a PR nightmare barely caused a blip in their business. The CEO was very much a believer in the “there’s no such thing as bad publicity“ mindset and he was right.
IMG_4670.jpeg

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Yes, back in the late 90’s I was a Backstreet Boys fan…of their music. No concerts, t-shirts, posters, etc. I still check out their new music but that’s about it. I remember the allegations against Nick Carter causing ABC to drop their Christmas special a few years ago. But I had NO idea of most of this. And Aaron was always the little brother riding on the coattails of Nick’ success. This four part series explores it all. The entire Carter family is the very definition of dysfunctional. There’s so much fame-induced privilege and LOT of anger in these kids. It’s graphic, not an easy watch and very unsettling. You can’t make this stuff up. On MAX. View attachment 223339
Oh, this sounds awesome
Thank you for this recommendation

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
LOVED this! I’m a sucker for the financial scam artist type documentaries and this doesn’t disappoint. It’s a fast paced 90 minutes and you can just see the second things changed and sent MoviePass to its eventual grave. (Yes, it’s returned with a new business model run by one of the original founders.)
Fascinating stuff. On MAX. View attachment 223352
Thank you I have to hunt this down!!!!

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Some shows I have watched recently and really enjoyed (in no particular order):

A Gentleman in Moscow
Lawmen Bass Reeves
Your Honor
Mare of Easttown
Fallout
Under the Bridge
Sharp Objects
!!! A list nice!!!!

I’ve seen a couple of these Your Honor, Easttown, Sharp objects has been on my list for years

Thanks so much for this

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanestoot
Recent bookmarks