What's new

What Pleases You? (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One thing that really pleases me-- whenever I get the chance to see a newspaper from anywhere that I've never seen before. I got that pleasure earlier when I got a newspaper from Europe through my brother's coworker; it's called The Observer, and it's a London Sunday paper. I had never seen what that one was like prior to now, but from what I've seen of it so far, it looks like it has a lot in it.

I also had that pleasure about 7-8 years ago when I saw the Sacramento Bee; I had that pleasure at least once more, before it adopted the McClatchy default look. Before that, I even saw The Scotsman of Glasgow; there have been many more times than that, but those have been some of the best, at least IMO.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
One thing that really pleases me-- whenever I get the chance to see a newspaper from anywhere that I've never seen before. I got that pleasure earlier when I got a newspaper from Europe through my brother's coworker; it's called The Observer, and it's a London Sunday paper. I had never seen what that one was like prior to now, but from what I've seen of it so far, it looks like it has a lot in it.

I also had that pleasure about 7-8 years ago when I saw the Sacramento Bee; I had that pleasure at least once more, before it adopted the McClatchy default look. Before that, I even saw The Scotsman of Glasgow; there have been many more times than that, but those have been some of the best, at least IMO.

I grab a newspaper whenever possible when traveling. These were among the most prolific while I was visiting Canada. Still sort of hurts to see these. I also remember the Bee from back in the day when I was growing up in San Jose.

upload_2018-3-30_2-0-53.png

upload_2018-3-30_2-1-43.png

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I grab a newspaper whenever possible when traveling. These were among the most prolific while I was visiting Canada. Still sort of hurts to see these. I also remember the Bee from back in the day when I was growing up in San Jose.

View attachment 45179

View attachment 45180

Thanks for the response! I was incorrect when I talked about the Scotsman though; it's actually from Edinburgh. I would change it, but you already quoted what I said to start, so it might look ridiculous.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the response! I was incorrect when I talked about the Scotsman though; it's actually from Edinburgh. I would change it, but you already quoted what I said to start, so it might look ridiculous.
You still get my vote for journalistic integrity and I doubt anyone but you even noticed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saturday Games!

Today is a biweekly boardgames "meet up" day at the library with friends and strangers.

Reactions: PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Beer
Restaurants (or any place in general) with no screaming children
Flights with no service animals on board
Beer
Getting alone time to decompress after work
- No screaming adults is also a huge plus, especially the one that lives next door to us! Hoping that she and her noisy toddler go away a few times before we move, so that we can decompress without having to leave the house!
- Making our monthly bank deposit, which is going towards our moving related expenses!
- The prospect of being able to move before the end of summer! The Mrs and I have been thinking that moving on Labor Day weekend might be preferable to the end of September, as it would give our son one less day that he'd have to book off from his job to help move us down to London, along with some other sanity saving related perks! ;)

Yes, there is a definite theme with this post! :D

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: PMF

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I haven't been on a flight with a service animal. Why would it be bad to have one?
I should have clarified “emotional support” animals instead of service animals. If a blind person flies with their dog (a service animal serving a purpose), I get it. The dog has been specially trained and performs a valid function and I’m ok with that.

I have gone back and edited my post.

If it’s Buffy who feels entitled and she’s flying with her standard poodle who shits up the plane and gets in a fight with Joe-Bob’s Dalmatian, I’m not ok with that. I have three dogs and would never be narcissistic enough to take them on a flight (or to a restaurant, as I’ve seen some people do).

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Picking up useful odds and ends dirt cheap. Today, at Dollar Tree, I was able to get two micro USB cables, plus a USB extension cable, for well under $5. Also managed to get three dozen No Sugar Added Black Cherry Halls Lozenges for $4 at Shoppers Drug Mart, and the nice check out lady didn't charge me the 5 cents for the bag, because in her words, they aren't very good. :lol:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Picking up useful odds and ends dirt cheap. Today, at Dollar Tree, I was able to get two micro USB cables, plus a USB extension cable, for well under $5. Also managed to get three dozen No Sugar Added Black Cherry Halls Lozenges for $4.

Yep. Love that Dollar Tree here too.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I should have clarified “emotional support” animals instead of service animals. If a blind person flies with their dog (a service animal serving a purpose), I get it. The dog has been specially trained and performs a valid function and I’m ok with that.

I have gone back and edited my post.

If it’s Buffy who feels entitled and she’s flying with her standard poodle who shits up the plane and gets in a fight with Joe-Bob’s Dalmatian, I’m not ok with that. I have three dogs and would never be narcissistic enough to take them on a flight (or to a restaurant, as I’ve seen some people do).

How often has that happened?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Picking up useful odds and ends dirt cheap. Today, at Dollar Tree, I was able to get two micro USB cables, plus a USB extension cable, for well under $5. Also managed to get three dozen No Sugar Added Black Cherry Halls Lozenges for $4 at Shoppers Drug Mart, and the nice check out lady didn't charge me the 5 cents for the bag, because in her words, they aren't very good. :lol:

I like free stuff “because it’s not very good”.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Another thing when it comes to newspapers: The New York Times. Granted, the version of it that I've been reading the most is the National Edition base-model paper you can get practically anywhere, but nonetheless, it's still a very good paper to me, for the most part because of its editorials; they seem to be written to a somewhat more scholarly level, and are a little more longform than in other papers, it seems.

Stan

Senior HTF Member

Dish Network offered an over the air option last year, I would save $20 a month. I think they knew it sucked, but they installed it anyway. Had them back two days later to restore things to the way they were. Worked for about three hours and died. They just gave me all the leftover equipment, one of those goofy flat panel antennas you put in your window, power cords, some dual coax cables and two really nice HDMI cables. Didn't cost me a penny. Probably good yard sale stuff. :D

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Dish Network offered an over the air option last year, I would save $20 a month. I think they knew it sucked, but they installed it anyway. Had them back two days later to restore things to the way they were. Worked for about three hours and died. They just gave me all the leftover equipment, one of those goofy flat panel antennas you put in your window, power cords, some dual coax cables and two really nice HDMI cables. Didn't cost me a penny. Probably good yard sale stuff. :D

OTA should work fine in any major metro. You don't need Dish or anyone else to accomplish this. What they installed is commonly referred to as a "leaf" antenna. You can buy them for about $20.00 all day which is probably why they left them behind. I bought my antenna from Walmart and paid maybe $80.00. The added cost is because I wanted a single outdoor antenna as opposed to multiple indoor ones such as the leafs. I added an amplifier and handle the coax distribution internally but it feeds 5 TV's throughout my home. I get about 60 channels but only about 25 are unique. Not bad for free. "Would you like to know more."

upload_2018-4-12_19-42-31.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks