What's new

What is a "bed-in-a-bag"?? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I'm shortly moving into an apartment, and don't want to spend a fortune on furniture (especially when i have such an expensive habit! :D)
What are these "bed-in-a-bags"? Anyone have an experience with them? Are they as comfortable as a decent cheapish real bed? Is one worth $ 90?
Thanks! :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mark,
Sorry but a "bed in a bag" isn't a bed at all. It's a marketing thing: sheets, blanket, comforter, pillowcases all matching. You still need the bed itself.

Ken Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
A futon would work but it is not very comfortable in my opinion. Kind of like sleeping on a hard couch. You could get one of those inflatable beds. While not great in the comfort area either, it inflates and deflates in about 90 seconds. At least you can add or decrease air to get the best comfort for you. Great if you need the extra room and only costs about $90-$100. Two cents, no more, no less.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Are you talking about one of the inflatable beds that get advertised on annoying commercials and infomercials? We were recently in New York for a family event, and my sister, brother-in-law, two of their kids and my parents stayed in a vacant apartment that one of the relatives owns. There were only two twin beds in the place (which my parents got), so my sister bought a couple of Aero Beds to use for the week. I didn't think to ask how she liked them, but I'll check with her later today and get back to you.

Regards,

Joe

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I don't think a futon is intolerable, provided you by a mattress that's thick enough. Anything less than 8" tends to let the bars of the frame seep through, but even that can be rectified by sticking an old comforter or two between frame and mattress.
Clerks at the local futon stores grumble about the durability of metal futon frames, but I've had mine for over three years now, and it shows no signs of bending. If your local Service Merchandise stores haven't closed yet, you might consider looking for frames and mattresses there. I got mine there when they first started clearing stuff out; it was something like $60 for the mattress and $80 for the frame.
My futon doubles as the couch, and I wouldn't have it any other way in a studio apartment. I just wish I also had room for a papasan. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.