What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul.S /forum/thread/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2190#post_3641181
Not to be nit-picky, but in the interest of keepin' it accurate given recent discussion . . . My understanding of the confusing U.K. SA-CD versus U.S. CD/DVD Genesis re-release situation is that the CD/DVD boxes that were released in the U.S. feature DTS 96/24 tracks on the DVDs. Tasty surround from what I've read, but NOT true blue DVD-A discs.
Well...that...and the discs contain some video...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by JohnRice
With you Mahler junkies going on, I'd appreciate a couple suggestions. I have found the Zander 1st to be a real favorite. I also believe the 1st to be Mahler's true masterpiece. So, anyway, I'm open to suggestions on the 4th and 5th on SACD. To date, my favorite 4th is Solti/Chicago with Te Kanawa, but I don't know if that is on SACD and I'd rather get a newer recording anyway rather than repeat the same one. I don't think I've heard a 5th that blew me away, so any suggestions on those two is welcome.
Also, my favorite 2nd has always been Slatkin/St. Louis (mainly for Kathleen Battle) but I am also open to suggestions for newer recordings of that.

I was confused--the Mahler thread I was thinking of is on Blu-ray.com and upon re-reading your suggestion request I note you're asking particularly about the 4 and 5 (and 2).
First, regarding the 1: Check out The Inaugural Concert, a DVD Deutsche Grammophon has just released of (justified) global sensation Gustavo Dudamel's first concert as our new Music Director. Shot at Walt Disney Concert Hall, Gustavo leads the L.A. Phil in John Adams' provocative "City Noir" and a stunning reading of the Mahler 1. I had ironically listened to Ben Zander's lecture on the Mahler 3, in which he talks about the importance of rubato to Mahler interpretation and performance, prior to the concert. I've got the Salonen 3 on CD; have rented the Haitink and Abbado perfs on DVD; have the classic Bernstein/New York from 1966 on SA-CD and Leonard's second-bite-at-the-apple 1 from the 70s with Vienna taped by Unitel; plus of course my newest, best recording--the Zander SA-CD. But I've never heard a conductor give me a more irresistable rubato at the opening of the second movement. It was a revelatory, why-hasn't-someone-done-it-that-way-before?! moment. And the rest of the performance is just as remarkable. If you don't know my man Gustavo, this DVD (and either the DG or Euroarts documentary about El Sistema) is/are good places to start.
The 2: Especially since you expressed interest in newer recordings, I'll just mention that I followed Greg's recommendation of the Ivan Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra Channel Classics SA-CD and have no regrets. Am still doing preliminary digesting so it's too early for more commentary now, but I like what I'm hearing so far.
The 4: Do you like the Zander lecture CD that accompanies his 1 SA-CD? I think those are wicked terrific and, as I've mentioned in this thread before, they're a major thumb on the scale in favor of those Telarc releases over the plethora of other Mahler recordings. His 4 was released in 2001 before Telarc embraced SA-CD for his Mahler cycle, but it's still absolutely worth consideration.
The 5: Check in in a few months once I've made my purchases but my current plans are to get the Zander 5 along with maybe Gustavo's well-reviewed DG CD of the 5--he leads the incredible Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra. I have his Beethoven 5 and 7 CD by them. Wow.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Man, no doubt there are many great performances which wouldn't be of much benefit on SACD due to the quality of the source. While I appreciate the idea of "That One" great performance, through over 30 years of being "into" both audio and classical music, what I have come to realize is that there are a multitude of "great" ways to approach a particular piece of music, but very few "great" ways to record it. So, even though Bruno Walter may have been the greatest Mahler interpreter (just posing an idea), there are, to me, plenty of other, equally compelling interpretations with infinitely better recordings. The Zander 1st is different from any other I've heard, and I LOVE it. Fortunately, it is also Telarc, the one company that truly understands how to capture classical music.
Thanks for the Mahler suggestions Paul. I'll seek out a Fleischer recording or two. I actually haven't listened to the second disc of the Zander 1st yet. I did see Dudamel's Premiere on PBS and recall being impressed with something he did with it, though I don't recall specifically what it was. Oh yeah, I grabbed deals on the Tilson Thomas 3rd and Zander 6th. Two of his symphonies I am least familiar with.
I'd also like to find a Beethoven Symphony cycle on SACD. I have at least 3 full cycles now and my favorite has for years been the analog Solti/Chicago from the mid 70s, except for two things. They are rather flat sounding (I've had this set for years and maybe the remaster is better) and I just don't like multi-mic recordings, if I have a choice. Problem is, I used to have most of the Telarc/Dohnanyi set and recall not being particularly thrilled with it. FWIW, I prefer Beethoven "Big". I have the Hogwood set and it is fine for authenticity but I believe the size orchestra Beethoven composed for was merely availability. I'm certain if he'd had 100+ piece orchestras at his disposal, he would have composed for them. I see a Karajan cycle from the late 50s/early 60s but I'm hesitant. My other full set is Zinman from this decade, and I don't know what his problem is, but he sure is in a hurry. I don't like it at all. It came as part of a large Beethoven collection.
I am tempted by the Jarvi recordings, but I notice it is the Bremen Chamber Philharmonic and I'm afraid it is a more authentic orchestration. Any Ideas?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by gene c /forum/thread/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2190#post_3639841

Not sure this qualifies but also picked up (at Frys) A Charlie Brown Christmas in what's called High Definition Surround Sound. It's also labeled a Super Disc /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif. A little latitude there perhaps. There is a DTS 96/24 label on it so maybe....
Because I like muddied waters (I like Muddy Waters, too!), I picked up one of these in a used bins at one of my local stores the other day. Had a nice chuckle thinking of the conversation gene's post started... /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Have sampled a couple of the "In the Room" mixes on the DVD and think they sound great!.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Just got The Moody Blues A Question of Balance SACD. My second Moodies sac dee, and I love it. I know some have complained that the stereo mix is a bit loud, but the surround mix sounds fantastic, and the Moodies were just meant to be heard in surround. I will probably add more of these over the next few months. Definitely want Seventh Sojourn in surround. I would like to hear Days of Future Past in surround as well. Funny thing about some RCA Living Stereo SACDs that I ordered during Deep Discount's 30 percent off sale about a month ago. I think I ordered about 8 titles (all backordered) and about 4 or 5 days ago I began getting e-mails that a few of the discs had shipped. One the first day, three the next, three the third and another today. I think all 8 titles are in the mail on their way here now. Can't wait!!!!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This also brought up some confusion for me. I was looking at some claimed DVD-Audio discs online and those sure are confusing. It's completely unclear if they really are, if they have 2 channel versions and so on. Some that come to mind are Steely Dan Gaucho and Queen Night at the Opera, but there were others. It will really piss me off if I get one and it only has multi-channel DTS. I take it most DVD-Audios have that in addition to high res.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re "To date, my favorite 4th is Solti/Chicago with Te Kanawa, but I don't know if that is on SACD and I'd rather get a newer recording anyway rather than repeat the same one."
Forgot to mention: although it's not new, another Chicago (this one with Fritz) on SA-CD is this one: http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/3189. I've read many good things in these pages and elsewhere about the RCA Living Stereo recordings and their presentation on (three-channel) SA-CD.
Re Gaucho, Night At the Opera et al.: Very few of the albums that DTS Entertainment released on DTS CD were re-released on true high rez (Gaucho and Night At the Opera are exceptions). DTS confused things when they re-released those CDs in the same taller jewel cases that DVD-As are/were released in. E-tailers then make it worse by mis-identifying many of those discs as DVD-A.
In case you're not familiar already, I recommend familiarizing yourself with the universe of titles DTS released, and which Universal Music Group released high rez counterparts for (UMG was the biggest major label supporter of high rez; their "New Formats" site is an excellent resource).
The DVD-A Registry helps suss out answers to rez/content questions, too: http://www.dvd-a.info. I trust these sites over any e-tailer; once something gets mis-identified in the database, all an e-tailer can do IF you get someone on the phone or to respond to e-mail is regurgitate what they see on a screen unless they personally own the disc . . . and even then they may not be aware that some of these UMG albums have a seen release on DTS CD, SA-CD and DVD-A (and then there's the CD remasters).
Since it's Xmas Eve, John, I'll quote Christmas Story and say I "triple dog dare you" to not find even deeper appreciation for the Mahler 1 after listening to the Zander lecture. I personally think it's that good of a listen. Please let me know your thoughts after you listen.
More on Beethoven later.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
RE: Zander on Mahler 1st, I attended the finale of the Colorado Symphony Orchestra this past season, playing Mahler's 2nd. Before the concert, they always have a lecture which this time was conducted by Music Director Jeffrey Kahane. Since the 1st and 2nd are companion pieces, he actually discussed both. I say "discussed" but it is only him speaking. It was enlightening. FWIW, this season is Kahane's last at the CSO, and he has chosen as his final piece...Mahler's 5th.

I will give some of those RCA discs a try. Too many people keep mentioning them. 3 channel I can handle.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe I'll jump the gun a bit on the Beethoven Symphonies. It seems that how I like them to be is a rather radical interpretation, and the 70s Solti cycle is possibly the only one that is what I am looking for.
Go to the page for the set HERE, and in particular, listen to the brief samples from the 1st and 5th movements of the 6th Symphony, which is also my favorite. I appreciate the belief that when Beethoven walked in the country, he didn't stroll, but bordered on a sprint, and that this piece should reflect that. I say, "So what". I am entirely enamored by the majestic approach Solti took, not only to this one piece, but to the entire cycle, and considering how NO other recordings I have ever heard take this interpretation, I'm doubting I will find one.
Hopefully the remaster has livened things up a bit. There are a few other significant bonuses to the new set. The 9th isn't split anymore, the symphonies are in order, and there is an extra interview disc. May have to pull the trigger and hope the master is improved, which is ultimately what I am looking for.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe I can get back on topic.
I received 15 titles yesterday. Yeah, I'm going a bit nuts, but I haven't bought much music in the last 15 years and there seem to be a lot of deals out there.
Among them...
Monty Alexander: My America. I was not familiar with Alexander, but this is an interesting bit of Fusion, but with far more traditional jazz than normal. This is an aggressive recording. Maybe a bit too aggressive.
Kurt Masur/London SO: Shostakovich 1st and 5th Symphonies. I've only listened to the 5th. I don't recall ever hearing the 1st. My main observation is the finale of the 5th is the most bizarre interpretation I have ever heard. Slow beyond belief, almost to the point of being comical.
Donald Runnicles/Atlanta SO: Carmina Burana. Not all that different from the Shaw/Atlanta performance I have had for years, though a little better in areas. This is WICKED good.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did I kill this thread?
I have been going a little nuts on the whole SACD thing, but I haven't bought much music in so long I can't help it. Mostly I've gotten Classical stuff, almost all Telarc, because their recordings are so reliable and I hope I like the performance. One particularly nice disc that came today is an untitled Jazz Trio including Ray Brown, Monty Alexander and Russell Malone. Great stuff!
I've had the 59avi SACD player for about 10 days now and here is my assessment. I hadn't thought about it, but I have gotten so accustomed to CD I had no idea what I would hear once I had a decent SACD setup going. It didn't bowl me over instantly, so I wondered if I would hear any real difference. The first disc I listened to intently (lights off and cranked up a bit) was Tumbleweed Connection. On "Country Comfort" I started noticing I was more "aware" of the various fiddles and harmonica later in the song. Not a big difference and I actually wondered if I was imagining it. Then on "Love Song" I was definitely hearing more texture in the chorus, kind of like I was hearing each individual voice more clearly.
It wasn't until I played one of my newer Telarc recordings that it really hit me. It wasn't the kind of difference I expected. The sound itself wasn't all that different most of the time. What I was hearing I can only describe as "space". My Thiels have incredible imaging and they always reproduce each instrument distinctly in its own place. This may not make any sense, but I was feeling the space around the instruments. It's like I could feel the entire venue. I was so much more aware of the location of an instrument on the stage. I could hear the distance from the Concert Master, to the auxiliary violins, to the woodwinds, to the percussion. It's not just left and right, but front to back. I swear sometimes I can hear their sound moving vertically, just as it would when listening to an orchestra from a slightly elevated position. Once I started hearing it, I didn't understand how I ever missed it. Still, the difference is lost if there are any distractions. My eyes need to be closed so I don't see the speakers, which tends to destroy the imaging.
An interesting thing is, I liked "Wind and Wuthering" quite a bit more on (2 channel) SACD than the plain CD layer. It really opened up and the alterations suddenly seemed to work. So, I pulled the trigger on "A Trick of the Tail". We'll see what I think when it gets here.
The truth is, I tend to think more popular "produced" music won't tend to benefit from SACD as much as live (primarily) acoustic stuff will. Like I said, what I hear more is the space around the instruments more than before. I doubt many recordings which aren't live and in a venue which lends its own personality are going to sound that much better than regular CD.
FWIW, here are the pertinent pieces to the system. Pioneer VSX-56TXi receiver, Pioneer DV-59avi for SACD playback and as a drive for regular CD, Audio Alchemy DTI v.2 & DDE v.3 w/upgraded power supplies for CD D/A conversion, Aragon 4004II amp for fronts, Thiel CS 3.6 speakers in front and SVS PB12 Plus 2 sub. This is probably odd to most people, but the Thiels are placed well into the room, with their backs roughly 4 ft. away from the front wall and aimed straight forward. No toe-in at all. After (seriously) years of moving things around, this produced the best imaging. The main listening position is about 9 ft in front of the Thiels. For SACD playback, the 59avi is connected with iLink using a crossover for the sub, but no other sound modification. I love the sound of the Thiels and I've found any kind of EQ messes that up. The room has some fairly extensive sound treatment, including sonex to tame the first reflections. Thiels are extremely live speakers, and they get too bright if you don't treat them properly.
In case you wondered, yes, I am divorced and have no life at all.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad to hear the 59dvi wasn't a failed experiment. I almost recommended that you get an i-Link player when you showed an interest in SACD but then I read where you already ordered an OPPO 980 and didn't want to be the one to say "you should have bought..."
Especially since I just bought a used Onkyo 805 that I'm going to pair up with my OPPO BDP-83. If Hi-Res thru hdmi sounds as good as it does thru i-Link then I'll probably sell all the Elite stuff. The 83 should perform as well as the 59avi, cd-59 (with famous 'Stable Platter Mechanism" /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif ) and BDP-51, which is a truely outstanding BR player with the latest firmware updates. Might just keep that one.
Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying SACD. The 56/59 combo is pretty good but I wonder how good a truely top-notch SACD system would sound?
And any thought's of giving DVD-A a try? Since I prefer classic rock to classical most of my collection is DVD-A. Love to hear your opinion.
Listened to my recently aquired Eric Clapton "Slow Hand" SACD. In stereo, even. Fabulous!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gene, if you decide to sell the 59TXi, let me know what you are looking to get. If it is insanely low enough...

I would try DVD-A, but it has been so unclear to me what is actually DVD-A. It has to have 2 channel and not actually just be DTS surround. I have NIN With Teeth on the way, but not sure it is a good choice. I see Steely Dan Gaucho and some Queen around, but get back to the main question.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
/img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif....I finally got an actual, genuine Sack-Dee again....Sam Cooke's Night Beat. It's playin' now on the SCD-C555ES. Little Red Rooster just finished with it's lush organ part./img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif This is a sweet sounding disc but it needs alotta' amplification, so far. It comes in a big-hinge Super Jewel. We'll see how much amplification that Shake, Rattle And Roll needs....it's the closer.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
"Did I kill this thread?"
Don't flatter yourself, John. :) "We" have been here for five+ years and will continue.

The truth is, I tend to think more popular "produced" music won't tend to benefit from SACD as much as live (primarily) acoustic stuff will. Like I said, what I hear more is the space around the instruments more than before. I doubt many recordings which aren't live and in a venue which lends its own personality are going to sound that much better than regular CD.
That's one rubric for listening to/judging multichannel mixes. Capturing an "episodic" event in the natural acoustic space in which it took place. But given the "serial" nature of the recording of so much popular music, I don't think that's a fair point of reference to judge all multichannel recording and mixing. Happy to hear you have at least Tumbleweed Connection. Check out the other five EJs on high rez. They're all remarkable . . . and none were originally recorded/mixed multichannel.
Then there's Peter Gabriel's Up (PG has said he doesn't want to ever record in stereo again).
Then there's Downward Spiral in addition to the Trent you already have on the way . . . and Legion Of Boom . . .

In case you wondered, yes, I am divorced and have no life at all.
LOL.

I would try DVD-A, but it has been so unclear to me what is actually DVD-A. It has to have 2 channel and not actually just be DTS surround.
You can get the 411 on all such issues at the links I shared in my post 2226.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paul, actually, right now I have Peachtree Road as well as Tumbleweed Connection. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic are on the way. I'm sure I'll add Madman as well as Honky Chateau before long and maybe Elton John as well, since they are all pretty reasonably priced. The Downward Spiral SACD is also on the way.
I am a HUGE PG fan and would love to have some of his titles, especially Up, but those are all a bit pricey. I haven't found Up for less than about $40 used and the others seem to be even more expensive.
I still truly dislike multichannel music, but a (small) part of it may be that my system is set up with dipole surrounds. I will try direct radiating here sometime, but it is also unlikely they will be truly matched models anytime soon. Unless I can find something used, that would cost at least $2K.
I will look through the site you linked for DVD-A. I've just been much more interested in Classical since there seem to be a lot of deals on Telarc SACDs. It seems the future of the label is unclear.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Re EJ on SA-CD: I've read (I think in this thread) Peachtree is less impressive in terms of the songs than the classic titles. For contempo EJ I've heard far more ebullient praise of Songs From the West Coast which alas is not on SA-CD.
Re PG on SA-CD: Wow hadn't noted how much pricier those have become. If you don't have one/a few set up already, I highly recommend you create an Amazon Wish List. For me it's less about suggesting gifts for me to other people as it is a way of tracking what I want all in one place that is also at a site where I can do some discographic research *and* keep tabs on used pricing. I swing through my list occasionally and am often surprised to find that a listing of something I want has popped up at a price I find do-able. Also remember that although the domestic U.S. Geffens are single layer, the U.K. Virgins are hybrids. I got my Us from Amazon.co.uk, a good additional place to check prices for those titles.
Re Telarc: I think the future of the label is clear and unfortunately nothing like what we've come to know and love from the past. As has been discussed in this thread earlier, all of the key remaining marketing and production staff after the Concord acquisition in I think 2005 were fired in I think early 2008. IMO you know that if they let Elaine Martone go then it's curtains for the label as we knew it. Concord has stewardship of the existing recordings that they sell through their site (that IMO does not market/present them as well as they deserve). Engineer Michael Bishop has formed a new recording entity, Five Four. But it's not my understanding that we'll see any NEW recordings bearing that beloved Telarc gold logo. My fingers are crossed that we get an SA-CD of Zander's Mahler 2 that I understand from Ben Zander's Website is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks