What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I think I now have all the JSP Sack-Dees with the arrival of James & Lucky Petersen's If You Can't Fix It and Carey Bell's Harpslinger. I'll listen to them later today but a new Buddy Miles CD has my attention at the moment.

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
The first group of discs were purchased over a 6 month period and shipped to family in the US. Picked them up this past weekend:

Julia Fordham - Concrete Love
Carole King - Tapestry
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Art Pepper - The New York Album
Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue
Thelonius Monk - Monk's Music
Tierney Sutton - On the Other Side
Cannonball Adderley - Things Are Getting Better
John Patton - Along Came John
Fred Jackson - Hootin' 'N Tootin'
The Doors - Perception (DVD-A Box Set)

Bought a few more while visiting:

John Mayer - Room For Squares (only $9.99!)
Tony Bennett - MTV Unplugged
The Wallflowers - Red Letter Days
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Gloria Estefan - Greatest Hits
Billy Joel - An Innocent Man (spare copy)
Thelonius Monk - Straight, No Chaser (spare copy)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I just got (via Fedex and have not played anything yet) 'Smokin' along with Sam Cooke's 'Night Beat,' Foghat's 'Fool for the City,' Rickie Lee Jones 'Pirates,' The Doobie Bros. 'Toulouse St.,' 'Groove Note Multi-Channel SACD Demo Vol. 2,' The Rolling Stones 'Out of Our Heads' (UK Version), and Graham Nash 'Songs for Survivors' on DVD-A.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Concord Groups Jazz Sampler from Frys. I've had this in my hand many a times before but finally took it to the checkout counter. Trying to expand my horizons, as they say.

They still have a few SACD's left. DVD-A's are all but gone. Much to my surprise, they still have 3 copies of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, 3 DSOTM's, 2 Tommy's, few Sam Cook's, quite a few Elton John's and some others I thought would have been snapped up by now.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Were the Sam Cooke discs Portrait Of a Legend by chance--in Digipacks (which it's my understanding is the SA-CD) and not the DSD-mastered standard CDs (in standard jewel cases)?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm afraid I didn't look at them that closely but I don't think they were. I do remember one was a greatest hits from 1958-1964. Next time I'm there I'll take a better look.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man. I wish I could find more SACDs and DVD-As in my local stores.
Just the other day I found a disc I had been looking for for a LONG time (Diana Krall's When I Look in Your Eyes). I was SO excited and was carrying it around the store clutching it tightly in my fingers when I suddenly remembered that I had just finally pulled the trigger at amazon and it was on its way to me. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2250#post_3661053
Man. I wish I could find more SACDs and DVD-As in my local stores.
Just the other day I found a disc I had been looking for for a LONG time (Diana Krall's When I Look in Your Eyes). I was SO excited and was carrying it around the store clutching it tightly in my fingers when I suddenly remembered that I had just finally pulled the trigger at amazon and it was on its way to me.
I just wish I had more local stores to purchase even CDs. Locally, we don't have any choices other than the "big box" stores.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Analogue Productions sure did right on the mastering on Humble Pie. It needs a lot of amplification but it's so clean sounding. I'd never heard this Junior Wells album before, It's mastering seems akin to Humble's. I'd never heard Wells this young before. He has a song that's "speaking back" to James Brown's Papa's Got A Brand New Bag even.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
...and some others I thought would have been snapped up by now.

Just the other day I found a disc I had been looking for for a LONG time (Diana Krall's When I Look in Your Eyes).
Diana Krall was one of those "others". There were three copies but I don't recall the title. Couple of Norah Jone's as well. Two titles from Ray Charles. Eric Clapton's Slow Hand. Steely Dan's Goucho. Maybe 50 total discs. Priced from $9.99 to about $16.99. Should have picked up Goucho but I already have the DTS surround disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd be even more broke than I am now if I had that kind of instant gratification available to me, Gene. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
I think I'll count myself as lucky rather than envious. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just received a shipment from Amazon UK. Mostly classical stuff but includes Peter Gabriel's Security and Elton John's Honky Chateau on SACD. Chateau and one or two other of EJ's SACDs are insanely cheap at Amazon UK. By insane, I mean about $7.
I wonder how much of a benefit SACD will be with Security, since it is such an early digital recording, but I already know the remaster sounds astounding, and SACD certainly can't hurt. Of course, it lacks a multichannel mix, not that I give a shit about that. I'm truly glad to have this, and at a pretty reasonable price too. To me, this is one of the pivotal albums in rock history. Not to mention it is one of the best.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks in advance for checking on Portrait Of A Legend SA-CD versus CD (versus whether it was Portrait at all), Gene. If the SA-CD is indeed at your Fry's, please pick up a copy for me and I'll pay your costs + shipping and a little gravy. I'd like to avoid the disappointment/hassle of getting the CD via an online purchase.
Speaking of, has anyone recently bought the Portrait SA-CD from an online merchant and can thereby vouch for getting the right disc from a particular vendor?
SA-CD.net points to this Amazon page that doesn't say SA-CD:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00009N1ZV/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=used
I'm afraid I didn't look at them that closely but I don't think they were. I do remember one was a greatest hits from 1958-1964. Next time I'm there I'll take a better look.
Finally, a recent high rez purchase is the Ben Zander Mahler 5 Telarc SA-CD (continuing my cycle).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paul, weren't you looking for a "satisfactory" Mahler 4th? Did you ever find one? I must have 5 different recordings of it and I like them all for one reason or another. On the whole, I tend to prefer the Solti with Kiri Te Kanawa, however, I am so enamored with Kathleen Battle's voice that I lean toward the Maazel with her, simply for the 4th mvt.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks in advance for checking on Portrait Of A Legend SA-CD versus CD (versus whether it was Portrait at all), Gene. If the SA-CD is indeed at your Fry's, please pick up a copy for me and I'll pay your costs + shipping and a little gravy. I'd like to avoid the disappointment/hassle of getting the CD via an online purchase.
Went back today and I'm a little confused. They are Portrait Of A Legend and they are in the standard cd case but they are DSD/SACD. I have no idea what a Digi-Pack is /img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif"> but as far as I can tell it is an SACD disc. There are 3-4 of them. If this is what you're looking for I'll be happy to pick one up for you. I did a quick check of Amazon and ebay and neither showed a listing for this SACD disc. Is this a rare one? Prices for some other discs are getting very expensive, at least on Amazon.
Edit: O.K., I Googled DigiPack (I'm really bored today) and it's not in one of those.
I think it's the same as this one from

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Has the cd years ago and just picked up the SACD, love this record. I also grabbed the 45 RPM LP set for comparison purposes, should be fun. :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the response, Gene.
It's not so much that the SA-CD is rare--after all, I think you've come across three or four at a Fry's--it's that the label confused things by, like with the Stones, re-releasing a plain ol' CD of a title previously released on SA-CD (with I think the same SKU). As if an anecdote of an individual finding what appears to be a CD in a Digipak . . .
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=139563
. . . you have perhaps found three or four SA-CDs in a standard jewel case. Heretofore, my uderstanding was that the method of distinguishing one from another is that the SA-CD is in a Digi and the CD is in a standard jewel.
Are you 100% that the SA-CD logo appears on the back cover artwork? I'll PM you re possible purchase.
(Btw, interested parties ought to check out post 19 at the link above. It's a re-post of an interview of Stuart Rosenthal, the engineer who did several Sam Cooke restorations and 5.1 mixes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks