What's new

What was #1 the week you were born? (1 Viewer)

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
I'm wondering if there are other people who are sad enough to know the song that topped the charts in the week they were born. Do you like the song? And do you feel the song says anything about you as a person?

For me, it's Shakin' Stevens, Green Door which was released July 17th 1981. It's a 50s cover about an exclusive club that the singer is excluded from and he imagines what it's like inside:

It seems fitting that the song is a nostalgic cover since I'm quite a nostalgic person myself. Shaky's career was mostly based on trying to bring the 50s into the 80s and I've spent most of my adult life trying to bring the 70s and 80s into the new millennium (I play my music on a pair of 46 year old speakers and have a home full of old computers and game consoles).

If I had been born a couple of months earlier it would have been Ghost Town from The Specials which would have been a cool one to have but I'm happy with this one.

Please share if you know your song or don't have much difficulty finding out but please refrain from negative comments about the pop charts (that's not what this thread is about).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
"Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles is one of my all time Fab Four Favs! What a bonus discovering this iconic classic was Number 1 (For the 5th and last week!) the week of my world debut! :)
Can't Buy Me Love; BW You Can't Do That download.jpg

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
US Charts...

Hot 100: Every Breath You Take, by The Police.

R&B: She Works Hard For The Money, by Donna Summer.

UK: Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home), by Paul Young.

I've never heard the UK one, to my knowledge.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
US Charts...

Hot 100: Every Breath You Take, by The Police.

R&B: She Works Hard For The Money, by Donna Summer.

UK: Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home), by Paul Young.

I've never heard the UK one, to my knowledge.

CHEERS! :)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just googled it- Surf City by Jan and Dean
(July 20 1963). They sound so much like The Beach Boys that it’s hard to distinguish who is who. No hard opinion of the song or the band.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just googled it- Surf City by Jan and Dean
(July 20 1963). They sound so much like The Beach Boys that it’s hard to distinguish who is who. No hard opinion of the song or the band.
Not surprising they sound a lot like the Beach Boys, Surf City was written mostly by Brian Wilson who also sang on the recording as well.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Not surprising they sound a lot like the Beach Boys, Surf City was written mostly by Brian Wilson who also sang on the recording as well.
Ah- I didn’t know that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks