What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It seems like the Music forum has been real contentious lately with all these hirez studies around and maybe we have lost the real reason we are here...to talk about music!
I have been buying discs faster than I can play them. I got the Trey Anastasio self-titled album which I love to play on my DVDA player...I got the new Clark Terry Portraits album on Chesky which I like...I've been buying up Fantasy releases like crazy (The Quintet, Monk & Coltrane, etc.)...
What albums have you purchased?
Which ones stand out in terms of sonics and performance?
Does anyone have the Neil Yound DVDAs? Can you hear the difference with the faster 176khz sampling rate?
Are there any "stinker" hirez albums to avoid?
Thanks for your responses. :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I bought so many this week that I haven't listened to them all yet. I got all 5 of the Fantasy releases. Diana Krall just stoped and The Wallflowers, a group I came to like on College radio, just kicked on the changer. I got the two new Heads Up label releases by Pieces Of A dream & Marion Meadows and I haven't played them yet.

I got Neil Young's American Stars'n Bars and sound quality-wise it's purr-dy awesome. I sure would like some of his very best albums on DVD-A.

Big Star was big fun...the beat goes on.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I bought Iron Maiden's Dance of Death DVD Audio. I am very disappointed. Bruce's voice is only in the center channel and it sounds very weak and low in volume compared to the other instruments. The overall sound is tinny too, much like the cd (which is why I wanted the dvd-audio).

I really didn't know they could screw up a dvd-audio this bad. My first impressions with the format were sooo much better (In Absentia, Hotel California, Metallica's Black Album, Queensryche's Empire).

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Just get it Lee! It has an unlisted bonus cut too. Have you listened to them before? They've been all over U. of T.'s student station for years. If you liked them before you'll like this one. I've only listened in stereo so far on my "little" upstairs system via the 555ES changer but it's impressive on that venue, which means it'll be even better when I take it downstairs. It just finished it's first play and Pieces Of A Dream just steped up in the changer. It was a very good week for SA-CD's! :)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I bought Led Zeppelin II on 200g Vinyl. Does that count as hi-rez?:D
Seriously, I haven't bought anything lately...I seem to already have everything that has my interest. I think the last title I did buy was either GBYBR or Tommy on SA-CD, but that was a couple months ago to be sure.
BGL

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I have all 5 of the new Fantasy SACDs on order, as well as Thoma's new SACD of Mahler's 4th.
Recently purchased SACDs:
Viktoria Mullova: Beethoven and Mendelssohn violin concertos
Aimee Mann: Bachelor #2
Bartok: Miraculous Mandarin for two pianos
Bartok: Bluebeard's Castle
Ukido: Schubert sonata in E-flat major and Moments Musicaux
Vaughan-Williams: Symph 6, 8, Nocturne
Mahler's 2nd by Kaplan
Mahler's 3rd by Boulez
Mozart piano concertos: Brendel, Mackerras
Shostakovich: Symph 7 "Leningrad": Gergiev
Beethoven: all symphonies (6 discs)
(NP: the 9th)
You can't accuse me of not supporting the format. ;)
Haven't bought and DVD-As because my surround setup is in storage so I don't see the point. Anyway, the only one I really want is In Absentia.

Sathyan

Second Unit
recent purchases:

Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room (Verve)

Helene Grimaud - Credo (DG)

Ray Brown - Soular Energy (HRM)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Sheldon,

Listen to the DTS or DD versions on DoD. Its much better.

Brian L,

How is Zep II? Ive thought about getting it.

I just bought the 180g vinyl of AC/DC Fly on the Wall and the Classic Albums 200g vinyl of Sarah Mclachlan Surfacing. Also the Iron Maiden Dance of Death DVDA

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Last week I received from Amazon:

Bowie - Ziggy Stardust - sounds very thin, like others have noted; others have also noted that the original recording is thin.

Mozart/Brendel - Piano Concertos on Phillips - pure DSD sweetness, and you can't find a more pure interpreter of Mozart than Brendel - sublime. I'd like the piano to be a little higher than the orchestra in the MCH mix.

Doug

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Matt/Lee,

Yes Classic Records. I like it a lot. The sonics are pretty good, and the LP is relatively quiet. Things get a bit congested at certain points when all 4 band members are firing on all cylinders, but thats true of EVERY version of this I have ever heard.

The drum hits and the bass have a really nice organic sound to them. What really stands out though is during the quieter parts, Percy's vocals, JPJ's organ, and of course JP's various guitar sounds can seem to float in air into the room.

I also bought LZ I and would say that everything I just said about LZ II also applies. I do want to also get III, IV (Zoso), and HotH, but at $30 a wack, its a bit pricey. And they are no cheaper on ebay.

BGL

Sathyan

Second Unit
quote:
Helene Grimaud - Credo (DG)
Do you like it Sathyan?
I am generally not a big fan of piano works but have been quite taken with Helene's performances. This one is no exception. The track ordering shows more thought than often occurs in classical releases. Intense and imaginative. This is not classical crossover but it challenges paradigms often extant in the classical world. Many artists in the classical (and to a lesser extent Jazz) world seem forced to offer by-the-numbers interpretations of the repertoire as the afacianados are quick to compare their releases to something that came out on LP fourty years ago. The result is an impediment to artistic expression. Classical music is not about the "songwriting" (all the bad "songs" were weeded out long ago) but about interpretation. This is where Helene excels (also her Rach and Brahms albums showcase these tendencies.
I think this is her first SACD.
Recommended.
Here's a review : http://www.startribune.com/stories/1646/4710594.html

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Anyone have the new Atlanta/Runnicles Beethoven's 9th Telarc SACD? If so, comments?

Thoroughly enjoying Peter Gabriel's Passion SACD (thanks, Mike B.).

-p

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I also have this title. I have no complaints about the sonics. While this is an interesting rendition, I would like to have an orchestral version in MCH.
That's pretty much what I was going to say.

I've know listened to everything on that list except the Mozart. No major complaints, except that I very much don't like Karajan's reading of the 6th. Too rushed, too flippant for my tastes. I know there are a lot of people who dismiss the work, but it's a personal favorite (as a child, it's use in Fantasia captivated me. Silly, I know, but there it is). Fortunately, I own two other outstanding performances of the piece on high-res already: Bruno Walter on SACD and AIX's wonderful DVD-A.

Paul, glad you're enjoying the Passion SACD. I could never get into it, which is probably blasphemy coming for a Gabriel and Scorsese fan. I do like it when the stuff I don't like goes to someone who can appreciate it.

I highly recommend the Girgiev SACD of the Leningrad symphony. The other day I picked up his SACD of Scheharazade.

Viktorya Mullova's violin playing I'm guessing will not find many fans amongst listeners of the old-school, but I quite enjoyed her light, legatto interpretation of the Beethoven concerto (along with Bob Dylan's Planet Waves). I just wished her violin was higher in the mix.

The Ukido disc is also highly recommended. She plays with a restrained passion that is very rewarding.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Picked up Diana Krall "Girl In The Other Room" and Thelonious Monk's "Brilliant Corners". Man, I am loving these Fantasy reissues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks