What's new

What are your ten favorite TV shows of all time? (1 Viewer)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
My favourite classics (up until 2000):

Star Trek
The Twilight Zone
Twin Peaks
The Prisoner
The Kids in the Hall
The Fugitive
The Avengers
SCTV
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Rockford Files

My favourite “modern era” shows (2000- ):

The Wire
Mad Men
Better Call Saul
Battlestar Galactica
Trailer Park Boys
Parks and Recreation
Community
Hannibal
What We Do in the Shadows
Justified

My favourite short-lived shows:

Freaks and Geeks
Undeclared
Twitch City
Honey West
My So-Called Life
The Flash
Lovecraft Country
High Fidelity
Mindhunter
The New Avengers

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This is a reboot of a thread that was popular about a year ago but people's preferences change. What are your ten favorite TV show of all time, any genre?

Perry Mason
JAG

Ironside
Murder She Wrote
Bonanza

Father Knows Best
The Bob Newhart Show
My Three Sons

The Odd Couple
The Patty Duke Show

* Bold indicates shows on my list last time.
Lovejoy
Rumpole of the Bailey
UFO (season 1)
Barney Miller
WKRP
Blake's 7
Nero Wolfe (with Tim Hutton and Maury Chaykin)
Babylon 5
OST
Disney's Zorro (Guy Wiiliams)

Honerable Mentioins:
The Mentalist
the Pretender
X Files
Monty Python
Dr Who ( Tom Baker )

Last edited:

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I posted in the old thread and this list is probably very different, but here goes:

The Gilmore Girls
West Wing
X Files
Man From Uncle
Perry Mason
Chuck
The Mentalist
The Fugitive
Bosch
The Wonder Years

Like many people here there are probably twenty other shows that are very close to making this list or that I would list on a different day.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
A very tough question and lots of really great answers here. And I couldn't stay with just 10 factoring in US & International Shows. Too many.

Here are mine in no particular order:

US:
The Addams Family - My first celebrity crush was John Astin as Gomez. I loved his relationship with Morticia. #relationshipgoals :D

Forever Knight
Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel
Dark Shadows
(the original) - I love different takes on the vampire mythology. Bonus points for all the strong female characters in BtVS.

Fame - The show is a much lighter spinoff of the film but featured so much great talent and performances. Also the idea that so many of the students are shown to be emancipated minors living on their own in NYC seemed thrilling (and frightening) to me as a teenager.

Due South - Most people remember this for Paul Gross as Mountie Benton Fraser, I was more infatuated with David Marciano as Chicago Detective Ray Vecchio. They had an amazing chemistry and the show was full of absurd humor.

Daria - The queen of sarcasm

Hill Street Blues - The show that showed how truly serious a cop show could be. And how great an ensemble show could be if you have great characters.

The Twilight Zone (the original) - Some of the greatest writing on television - ever.

The Carol Burnett Show - The culmination of the Saturday Night lineup (all of which was fab!) It was great fun to see if they would crack each other up. Great comedy, music and guest stars. As a kid getting interested in classic film it was fun to watch for the veterans on this and other shows of the era like The Love Boat. My parents would point people out and recommend movies that their favorites had done. Lots of family bonding over this one.

The Affairs of Dobie Gillis - I loved Maynard.

Star Trek TOS - My mom is a huge Trek fan. We went to conventions in the 80s, got autographs and pictures, went to panels - it was so much fun. I started going because she didn't want to go alone and continued because I really enjoyed it. I also love the spinoff series - ST:TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. I haven't watched any of the newer ones.

And finally, a shout out to The John Larroquette Show (1993-1996) - This very underrated and funny show is not available anywhere. I initially watched because it was set in St. Louis, even though it turned out to have nothing at all in common with the city where it is supposed to be set. It turned out to be a very funny show - at least that's how I remember it. I'd love to find it.

And currently I am in love with Ghosts on CBS. I am so looking forward to season 2.

UK / Australia (Not quite 10)

Prisoner: Cell Block H - I began watching it during the summer and my mom got hooked as well, so even once school started back up I was allowed to watch each night even though it didn't come on until 10:30 or 11pm. I was 13 at the time. I went back and rewatched some of it a few years ago. Wow! What was my mother thinking? :lol: Her approach has always been to let us read or watch whatever we want. If it goes over our heads fine, if we have questions, that's great, too. But this, I'm not sure.

Red Dwarf
Doctor Who
(Classic)
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - All great sci-fi comedy fun.

Ballykissangel
Hamish Macbeth - Quirky little towns full of quirky people in the vein of Northern Exposure (which I also love).

Monty Python - They never get old. The sketches in all their absurdist glory are classics. The humor is so intelligent. As I've gotten older I understand so much more of it than I did as a teenager and as a young adult. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Fun topic.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
1-"I Love Lucy" Loved "Lucy Desi One Hour Specials"
2-"Make Room For Daddy/Danny Thomas Show"-Loved Sherry Jackson
3-"Donna Reed Show"-Shelly Fabraes made the series after Trisha was boring.....
4-"Peyton Place"- Allison MacKenzie was the best, she left "Peyton Place" I did too......
5-"Falcon Crest"-First five Seasons were the best after Chase left the series ended to me.
6-"The Colbys"-Love Stephanie Beacham, Sable was he best.....
7-"Dallas"_ Pam and Bobby were "Dallas" Pam crashed the show crashed to me.....
8-"Dynasty"-Loved it until the very last episode but that last cliffhanger didn't cut it....
9-"The Avengers"-Emma Peel and Diana Rigg rocked it
10-"Dark Shadows" Daytime Version-Victoria Winters made that show, she left I quit watching......

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Have Gun Will Travel
Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
Adventures Of Superman
Sea Hunt
Honeymooners
Abbott And Costello Show
Rocky And His Friends
The People’s Choice
My Little Margie
Munsters
It was hard to pare my list down to ten!
I could have easily added any of the following:
Gunsmoke, Car 54 Where Are You, Sgt Bilko, Lottsa Luck, Seinfeld, Fernwood 2 Nite, Gray Ghost, Pete Gladys, Andy’s Gang, Leave It To Beaver, Ozzie And Harriet, Ernie Kovacs, Topper , Amos And Andy, I Love Lucy, Casey Jones, Ramar Of The Jungle, Captain Midnight, Yancy Derringer, Dragnet, Zorro, Wonderful World Of Disney, Twilight Zone, Donna Reed Show, Andy Griffith Show, That Girl and others!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Gunsmoke, Car 54 Where Are You, Sgt Bilko, Lottsa Luck, Seinfeld, Fernwood 2 Nite, Gray Ghost, Pete Gladys, Andy’s Gang, Leave It To Beaver, Ozzie And Harriet, Ernie Kovacs, Topper , Amos And Andy, I Love Lucy, Casey Jones, Ramar Of The Jungle, Captain Midnight, Yancy Derringer, Dragnet, Zorro, Wonderful World Of Disney, Twilight Zone, Donna Reed Show, Andy Griffith Show, That Girl and others!!!
agreed, even going decade by decade would be a tuff go!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't even consider my two favorite animated shows from the 1960s - Rocky and His Friends and The Alvin Show, but they both rank right up there with shows which have given me enormous pleasure for almost my entire life. (I just wish I could get the entire run of The Alvin Show.)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I didn't even consider my two favorite animated shows from the 1960s - Rocky and His Friends and The Alvin Show, but they both rank right up there with shows which have given me enormous pleasure for almost my entire life. (I just wish I could get the entire run of The Alvin Show.)
Hard to figure out why the Bagdasarian clan has been so stingy with the Alvin Show episodes on DVD. I DO have both the DVD and Blu-ray of the show with about 3 episodes total. It’s like they haven’t heard you can release entire seasons or series sets.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Hard to figure out why the Bagdasarian clan has been so stingy with the Alvin Show episodes on DVD. I DO have both the DVD and Blu-ray of the show with about 3 episodes total. It’s like they haven’t heard you can release entire seasons or series sets.
Same here. And I don't know why Ross Jr. hasn't licensed the show to ME-TV or some other sub-network that runs classic TV. Very strange to ponder their thinking on The Alvin Show.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I don't think they've released the '83 series on DVD either. Probably don't want to deal with all the music rights.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
mash
hogan's heroes
bewitched
quantum leap(80's)
the wonder years(80's)
chips(70's)
the fall guy
t'j.hooker
hunter
macgyver(80's)

abc family
wildfire
kyle xy
lincoln heights
greek
make it or break it
switched at birth

usa network

la femme nikita
pacific blue
swamp thing (90's)

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
ernie kovacs,you gone way back,back to the 50's,early television.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
northern exposure
who's the boss
growing pains
perfect strangers
head of the class(80's)
the jack benny program
marcus welby md
medical center
the man from uncle
hill street blues
st.elsewhere
l.a law(80's)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks