What's new

What are your ten favorite TV shows of all time? (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
This is a reboot of a thread that was popular about a year ago but people's preferences change. What are your ten favorite TV show of all time, any genre?

Perry Mason
JAG

Ironside
Murder She Wrote
Bonanza

Father Knows Best
The Bob Newhart Show
My Three Sons

The Odd Couple
The Patty Duke Show

* Bold indicates shows on my list last time.
Too early to list my 10 favourite tv shows OF ALL TIME as I am still watching tv series. Maybe I can list them before I die? The forum should read : what are your ten favourite tv shows that you have seen so far. That makes more sense.

Beckford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
chronologically:
I LOVE LUCY
SOLDIER OF FORTUNE
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
CIRCUS BOY
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
RAWHIDE
SIR FRANCIS DRAKE
THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW
SEINFELD

plus CORONATION STREET, which I've been watching on and off since the 60's

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
chronologically:
I LOVE LUCY
SOLDIER OF FORTUNE
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO
CIRCUS BOY
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
RAWHIDE
SIR FRANCIS DRAKE
THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW
SEINFELD

plus CORONATION STREET, which I've been watching on and off since the 60's
Love Soldiers of Fortune, such a fun show! A runner-up for my top ten list, for sure.

soldiers-of-fortune.jpg

Lots of good lists above. As no doubt is true of others here, I find it very hard to whittle all of my favorite shows down to such narrow parameters. And as a huge fan of British TV, I can't limit myself to only a single Top Ten list...so I'll cheat and do two, as I did in the previous thread from a few years back. (Note: these lists are not ranked):

Top 10 U.S. TV Shows
Star Trek: TOS
Firefly
The Fugitive
I Spy
Route 66
The Wild Wild West
The Twilight Zone
The X-Files
Bonanza
The Andy Griffith Show

Top 10 U.K. TV shows
Doctor Who (classic)
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett version, accept no substitutes)
Miss Marple (Joan Hickson version, even more so)
Red Dwarf
All Creatures Great and Small
The Saint
Man in a Suitcase
The Avengers
Danger Man
Last of the Summer Wine

While there are a bunch of shows that didn't quite make the cut, and which I'd sorely miss, the above would suit me just fine if I were stranded on the proverbial desert island (complete with solar-powered DVD/Blu-Ray player and projector set-up, of course! ;) )

Needless to say, I'm happy to not be limited to only 20 series in real life.

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The Fugitive
Rawhide
Leave it to Beaver

These top 3 are non-negotiable and never really change. The rest are at least up for discussion in terms of where they land. And some might fall outside of my Top 10 depending on what time of day it is.

Ozzie and Harriet
Boston Blackie
Highway Patrol
The Andy Griffith Show
Have Gun, Will Travel
In the Heat of the Night

Lassie

And as a runner-up (and I know I'll be the only one to list this show) - Road to Avonlea.

Gary "pretty much impossible to limit it to 10 - other than the top 3 in my list everything else can rotate" O.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'll play again...a top 5 list induces emotional trauma and a 20 point rise in my blood pressure, impossible likely for us all...a top 10 includes most of the truly immortal shows, but still very tough...a top 30 is more like it for my lifetime, where I probably became aware of the incipient television obsession that would rule my life during the 1959-60 season as a 3 year old...but I'll tell you, the most resonant memories I have as a very young child would include the onscreen or voice-over narration of Alfred Hitchcock, ("Good evening..."), Rod Serling ("there is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man..."), Herbert B. Leonard/Lawrence Dobkin ("there are 8 million stories in the Naked City, this has been one of them"), William Conrad ("...Dr. Richard Kimble, an innocent victim of blind justice, falsely convicted for the murder of his wife, reprieved by fate when a train wreck freed him en route to the death house..."), Eric Fleming ("...I'm Gil Favor, trail boss..."), or great theme songs, "who's the tall dark stranger there, Maverick is his name...", "rollin', rollin', rollin', keep them doggies rollin'...", and don't even get me going on the warmly held nostalgia in seeing and hearing Andy Griffith-Don Knotts-Frances Bavier-Ronnie Howard etc., Jack Benny-Eddie Rochester Anderson-Mel Blanc, Phil Silvers, Fred Gwynne-Joe E. Ross, Alan Young-Connie Hines-Alan Rocky Lane, Jackie Gleason-Art Carney-Audrey Meadows, Steve Allen, Johnny Carson, Ed Sullivan, Garry Moore and Derwood Kirby, Danny Kaye, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Bob Cummings, Carol Burnett, Dick Van Dyke and MTM, George and Gracie, Ozzie and Harriett, Maverick's James Garner and Jack Kelly, Rawhide's Eric Fleming-Clint Eastwood-Paul Brinegar and drovers, The Fugitive's David Janssen and Barry Morse, Route 66's Martin Milner and George Maharis, Naked City's John McIntire-James Franciscus-Paul Burke-Horace McMahon-Harry Bellaver, Combat!'s Vic Morrow-Rick Jason-Jack Hogan-Pierre Jalbert-Conlan Carter and the squad, ...77 Sunset Strip's Efrem Zimbalist-Roger Smith-Edd Kookie Byrnes-Louis Quinn-Jacqueline Beer...I Spy's Robert Culp (and sadly, yes) Bill Cosby, Wild Wild West's Robert Conrad and Ross Martin...VTTBOTS' Richard Baseheart and David Hedison, The Invaders's Roy Thinnes...and a hundred (or more) others...

My top 10...

Twilight Zone
The Fugitive
Maverick
Rawhide
Route 66
Naked City
Combat!
Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour
Andy Griffith Show
Rockford Files

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
In no particular order:

The Fugitive
The Avengers
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Wild, Wild West
The Addams Family
Leave It to Beaver
Rawhide
The Twilight Zone (original)
The Outer Limits (original)
Monty Python's Flying Circus

Runners-up:

T.H.E. Cat
Maverick
Columbo (original 1970s run)
Jonny Quest (original)
Barney Miller
Danger Man
The Prisoner
The Invaders
Star Trek (original)
Hawaii Five-0 (original)
The Honeymooners
SCTV
Spaced
Mission Impossible (Seasons 1-3)
The Untouchables (original)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hitchcock Hour
Thriller (Boris Karloff)
The Simpsons (Seasons 1-8)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (Comedy Central/Sci-Fi Channel era)
Primal

Purple Wig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alan
One thing that’s interesting to me in looking at these lists is the outlier; when someone’s list is all classic TV but one modern/recent show makes the cut. For Sky King and Beckford, that show is Seinfeld, and it was the post 1980 show that might make my top 10 as well. Gary OS has In The Heat Of The Night. Jeff has both X-Files and Firefly. Filmcrazy places Doc Martin, which I like quite a bit, especially for a modern show.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
My top 10 ( in no particular order):
Get Smart 1965-1970
The Bionic Woman 1976- 1978
Bewitched 1964-1971
Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour/ Cher / Sonny & Cher Show 1971-1977
I Love Lucy/ Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour/ The Lucy Show/ Here’s Lucy 1951- 1974
Dynasty 1981-1989 , 2017- present
Friends 1994-2004
The Office 2005-2013
The Munsters/ The Addams Family 1964-1966
Superstore 2015-2021

Hard to narrow it down to just 10- and I cheated a bit ;)

Honorable Mentions:
Hart To Hart
Charlie’s Angels
Sabrina the Teen-age Witch
The Avengers
The Carol Burnett Show
All In The Family
Dark Shadows
Married With Children
SCTV
Scooby Doo
The Flintstones

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
TOP TEN
The Wild Wild West
The Avengers (season 4 to 6)​
Mission: Impossible
Space: 1999 (season 1)​
Danger Man
The Prisoner
The Streets of San Francisco
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
The Outer Limits (season 1)​
The Invaders
WOW. Got all mine in there.

Real Name
George P Snoga
Ones that nobody else has mentioned.

'Allo 'Allo (I will say this only once.)
Burke's Law
Deep Space 9
Yes Minister/Prime Minister
Batman (Adam West - I love the sheer campiness.)
Up Pompeii (The Prolog)

The other 4 that have been mentioned.

The Avengers (all the seasons, including the New Avengers.)
Perry Mason
Wild, Wild, West
The Twilight Zone

Jeffrey-s

Auditioning
Northern Exposure
The Honeymooners
Cheers
Dear John
Taxi
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Frasier
The Larry Sanders Show
Are You Being Served?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
In no particular order:

Dynasty (original series)
St. Elsewhere
Murder, She Wrote
The Twilight Zone (original series)
Magnum P.I. (original series)
Dallas (original series)
Ally McBeal
The X-Files
Downton Abbey
Cheers

with honorable mention to:

Sex and the City
Falcon Crest
Bewitched
Lost in Space
Picket Fences
Law & Order (original series)
Agatha Christie's Poirot
Inspector George Gently
MacGyver (original series)
Frasier

billO'

Agent
I'll follow the rules and also just list a top ten, although if I spent more time and effort I'd probably come up with double or triple this number deserving of the top spots and would agonize over whittling it down. Also chronological:

TWILIGHT ZONE
STAR TREK
THE PRISONER
MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS
I, CLAUDIUS
ROCKFORD FILES
SEINFELD
BAND OF BROTHERS
THE SOPRANOS
MAD MEN
BREAKING BAD

(I cheated. That's eleven.)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
One thing that’s interesting to me in looking at these lists is the outlier; when someone’s list is all classic TV but one modern/recent show makes the cut. For Sky King and Beckford, that show is Seinfeld, and it was the post 1980 show that might make my top 10 as well. Gary OS has In The Heat Of The Night. Jeff has both X-Files and Firefly. Filmcrazy places Doc Martin, which I like quite a bit, especially for a modern show.

I believe I can explain my love for "In the Heat of the Night" (and "Road to Avonlea", an early 90's show). They are both shot on location in small towns with a larger, likeable cast. And even though ITHOTN is an 80's/90's series, it plays like something older because of its setting. I love hearing birds or crickets chirping and train whistles blowing in the background, along with the locals that play bit parts. Both series are also grounded in a way that doesn't play to the cynicism and moral ambiguity that seems to drive so many more recent series. The shades of gray mindset that dominates TV and films today wearies me, but these two more modern shows (if shows from the 90's can be called 'more modern' - LOL) in my list don't have much/any of that.

My love for older fare is what most younger folk dislike - simplicity. I don't need to watch multi-verses, heroes that battle inner demons every week, or villains that are presented sympathetically in order to be entertained. Just the opposite. I like the guilelessness of the series I've mentioned.

Gary "and like most everyone else here I so could have named off another 20+ shows that have rotated into my 'Top 10' lists over the decades" O. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayband
Recent bookmarks