What's new

We're Getting Green Acres, Mr. Ed, & Lost In Space ..... But Still No Andy Griffith!? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Is there no TV-on-DVD justice??

It's no wonder Otis was always six sheets to the wind! He just couldn't face these long delays in getting his character onto seasonal DVD boxed sets! :) :D :)

Not to totally degrade the quality of these shows mentioned in the topic line, but let's face facts kids! .... Not one of these TV programs had near the popularity and overall success as The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968).

We're 6.5 years deep into the DVD format and still no word on any of the season sets for "TAGS", which has been one of the most popular programs in syndication for 35 years. DVD sets of the show should sell very well (I would bet Barney's one & only bullet on it).

Somebody please tell me how on Earth Lost In Space, Gilligan's Island, Mister Ed, The Incredible Hulk, Saved By The Bell, Baretta, The Monkees, and Power Rangers Ninja Storm merit DVD releases over an icon-type program like TAGS?

Is it even remotely possible that millions of DVD buyers are flocking to the stores in traffic-jam-causing droves to pick up copies of The Monkees Season 1?? :laugh:

"Andy" sets would outsell any of the above-mentioned DVD products...easy. (IMO, of course. :D)

Anyway...just thought I'd spew forth a little tirade on the "Lack Of Andy G." here today.

Perhaps if this thread reaches 1,000 replies, then some studio exec might perk up, eh? :) :)

(Who owns the "TAGS" video rights anyway? Do you think igniting a
medium-sized to large blaze under the company's hind quarters would
aid the "I Want TAGS" cause? :) )

Fast-Gun Fife (aka: Barney The Beast)
Circa 1962

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We're 6.5 years deep into the DVD format and still no word on any of the season sets for "TAGS", which has been one of the most popular programs in syndication for 35 years. DVD sets of the show should sell very well.

Somebody please tell me how on Earth Lost In Space, Gilligan's Island, Mister Ed, The Incredible Hulk, Saved By The Bell, Baretta, The Monkees,and Power Rangers Ninja Storm merit DVD releases over an icon-type program like TAGS?
As I read through your list of shows that are coming to DVD, I see that you mention a lot of shows that have appeal for a different reason (like cult fave The Monkees, and kid-fave Ninja Storm, which is doing VERY well for Buena Vista...enough that they are expanding to the various old Power Ranger series on DVD), shows that have tie-ins to current features (Hulk) or current events (Baretta), shows that have "avatars" fighting for them to see the light of day (Lost In Space), and shows of opportunity (meaning everything fell into place and there's demand for it, so let's get a DVD out while we can...I think it's safe to say that Saved By The Bell probably falls under that heading).

Hey, I notice ya' didn't put "Dick Van Dyke Show" on that list! :wink:

I haven't the foggiest clue as to what is keeping The Andy Griffith Show from making it to DVD. Well, it IS on DVD, with about 15-20 different releases of the same batch of supposedly-public-domain episodes (I *really* don't know the story behind that, or how legit it is).

I guess we just have to wait for CBS to get around to making something official for Paramount to distribute. We're waiting on lotsa TV series from The Mount: Brady Bunch, Get Smart!, Mission: Impossible, Taxi, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Police Squad, Bosom Buddies, Dear John, MacGyver, Star Trek: Animated Series, Duckman, The Odd Couple, Jag, and The Sentinel. I think Wings and Hogan's Heroes belong to them too, don't they? And Lord knows what I'm forgetting right now! So TAGS is just another one on the MIA list right now.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I notice ya didn't put "Dick Van Dyke Show" on that list! ;)
On my gosh, no! Of course not! That show is in the "TAGS realm" IMO; even above it. But The Monkees and Power Ninja Dynamo Robots From Heck (or whatever that's called :))?? Come on. Ninja over Andy? They *must* be high on Ninja fumes! :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Every month or so I peruse the easy-to-read "At A Glance"-style page of "Coming Soon" DVD titles on DeepDiscount's site. And I'm amazed at the sheer number of titles coming out that I've never heard of before, ever. At least 80% of the titles fall into the "I haven't a clue what this is" category. Anybody else find this true to a degree?

What ARE some of these things being released? Upon looking at many of these unheard-of things coming out, it makes it all the more difficult to reconcile the fact that so many great movies and TV shows are still in the "Yet-to-be-released-on-DVD" folder.

But, I suppose it'll always be this way. There'll always be *something* that someone is ranting about, that's not yet on our favorite format.

Still, it's hard to fathom that we can buy Psycho (1998) and Friday the 13th Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan, but we can't yet get Star Wars (1977), Cocoon, Mrs. Miniver, Dial M For Murder, The Three Faces Of Eve, Compulsion, Days Of Wine And Roses, or season sets of The Fugitive (1963-'67) and TAGS. :frowning:

If anyone here @ HTF can go through THIS LISTING of future DVD releases and not say to yourself at least 135 times, "What the devil is this?", then that individual is truly a "God" among all things DVD-related. :)

Samurai Deeper KYO Vol. 3?? :confused:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Still, it's hard to fathom that we can buy Psycho (1998) and Friday the 13th Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan, but we can't yet get Star Wars (1977), Cocoon, Mrs. Miniver, Dial M For Murder, The Three Faces Of Eve, Compulsion, Days Of Wine And Roses, or season sets of The Fugitive (1963-'67) and TAGS. :frowning:
Well, this won't be a surprise to you, but the first thing I'll point out is that almost none of those are Paramount titles. And the one I recognise as Paramount, Ft13-Pt8:JtM, is obviously one item in the middle of a series that has a very intense following (just like, say, ST5:TFF). No mystery there why Paramount spent time and resources on putting that out, "instead of TAGS".

I think that Paramount gets a lot of crap for what they haven't put out yet, and as I already pointed out there's a long list...even just in the "TV on DVD" category. But they should get more credit for what they DO put out. They rarely waste time on something that nobody wants to buy. I think there are some pretty intelligent decisions made as to what DVD titles to produce. Sure you could come up with examples that challenge this idea, because nothing and nobody is perfect. Still, I'm happy with my three films in the Bad News Bears series. :wink:

I don't mean to come off as demeaning the idea that TAGS should be on DVD. It should, and it will be a big moneymaker. And I'm sure the rights-holders know that, and there is perhaps something else preventing this from getting done. Could be legal issues, could be issues with the elements, could be desire to include supplements, could be just time or money. Could be anything, in fact.

In that case, I'm glad all these other things are on the market for me to enjoy while I wait!

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I have no doubt that this will eventually be released, although I'm surprised that there is no word on timing.

Most of the supporting cast is gone. Don Knotts will be 80 next year and Andy and Betty Lynn are just a few years behind him. I would hope that the ball is already rolling for interviews, recorded commentaries, etc. before it gets too late.

I would buy these DVDs as gifts for the AGS fans in my family. I would definitely buy "Matlock" season sets for myself. That is a show that I never get tired of.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks David L., for your elaborations on the matter. Your thoughts and knowledge are always a welcome read. :)

As for the popularity of the Power Rangers programs on DVD -- I took a look at Amazon's data, and they show 5 total P. Rangers DVDs on the site (with a "Ninja" in the title that is). They hold the following rankings in the "Sales" department:

One is their 2,041st best-selling DVD; one is 2,458th; another is 9,483rd; the fourth is 4,857th; and there's one that ranks #10,794. These numbers (to me) don't seem to indicate they'll be running out of product any too soon. Perhaps they sell better on other sites. *shoulder shrug*

By-the-by...Just for the sake of comparison, the two upcoming Dick V. Dyke Show DVD Sets rank as #662 and #780 @ Amazon (as of this minute). :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
They don't sell Power Rangers much via the e-tailers like Amazon. These DVDs (3 released, 2 on the way, plus a total of 4 non-NinjaStorm DVDs) sell nicely at Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart however. Also toy stores and comic book stores. Believe me, it makes The Mouse some nice dough!

Thanks for the nice words about my thoughts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks