We're Getting Green Acres, Mr. Ed, & Lost In Space ..... But Still No Andy Griffith!?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Oct 9, 2003.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Is there no TV-on-DVD justice??

It's no wonder Otis was always six sheets to the wind! He just couldn't face these long delays in getting his character onto seasonal DVD boxed sets! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not to totally degrade the quality of these shows mentioned in the topic line, but let's face facts kids! .... Not one of these TV programs had near the popularity and overall success as The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968).

We're 6.5 years deep into the DVD format and still no word on any of the season sets for "TAGS", which has been one of the most popular programs in syndication for 35 years. DVD sets of the show should sell very well (I would bet Barney's one & only bullet on it).

Somebody please tell me how on Earth Lost In Space, Gilligan's Island, Mister Ed, The Incredible Hulk, Saved By The Bell, Baretta, The Monkees, and Power Rangers Ninja Storm merit DVD releases over an icon-type program like TAGS?

Is it even remotely possible that millions of DVD buyers are flocking to the stores in traffic-jam-causing droves to pick up copies of The Monkees Season 1?? [​IMG]

"Andy" sets would outsell any of the above-mentioned DVD products...easy. (IMO, of course. [​IMG])

Anyway...just thought I'd spew forth a little tirade on the "Lack Of Andy G." here today.

Perhaps if this thread reaches 1,000 replies, then some studio exec might perk up, eh? [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Who owns the "TAGS" video rights anyway? Do you think igniting a
    medium-sized to large blaze under the company's hind quarters would
    aid the "I Want TAGS" cause? [​IMG] )

[​IMG]
    Fast-Gun Fife (aka: Barney The Beast)
    Circa 1962

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Every month or so I peruse the easy-to-read "At A Glance"-style page of "Coming Soon" DVD titles on DeepDiscount's site. And I'm amazed at the sheer number of titles coming out that I've never heard of before, ever. At least 80% of the titles fall into the "I haven't a clue what this is" category. Anybody else find this true to a degree?

What ARE some of these things being released? Upon looking at many of these unheard-of things coming out, it makes it all the more difficult to reconcile the fact that so many great movies and TV shows are still in the "Yet-to-be-released-on-DVD" folder.

But, I suppose it'll always be this way. There'll always be *something* that someone is ranting about, that's not yet on our favorite format.

Still, it's hard to fathom that we can buy Psycho (1998) and Friday the 13th Part VIII - Jason Takes Manhattan, but we can't yet get Star Wars (1977), Cocoon, Mrs. Miniver, Dial M For Murder, The Three Faces Of Eve, Compulsion, Days Of Wine And Roses, or season sets of The Fugitive (1963-'67) and TAGS. [​IMG]

If anyone here @ HTF can go through THIS LISTING of future DVD releases and not say to yourself at least 135 times, "What the devil is this?", then that individual is truly a "God" among all things DVD-related. [​IMG]

Samurai Deeper KYO Vol. 3?? [​IMG]

5. David Lambert

6. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

I have no doubt that this will eventually be released, although I'm surprised that there is no word on timing.

Most of the supporting cast is gone. Don Knotts will be 80 next year and Andy and Betty Lynn are just a few years behind him. I would hope that the ball is already rolling for interviews, recorded commentaries, etc. before it gets too late.

I would buy these DVDs as gifts for the AGS fans in my family. I would definitely buy "Matlock" season sets for myself. That is a show that I never get tired of.

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks David L., for your elaborations on the matter. Your thoughts and knowledge are always a welcome read. [​IMG]

As for the popularity of the Power Rangers programs on DVD -- I took a look at Amazon's data, and they show 5 total P. Rangers DVDs on the site (with a "Ninja" in the title that is). They hold the following rankings in the "Sales" department:

One is their 2,041st best-selling DVD; one is 2,458th; another is 9,483rd; the fourth is 4,857th; and there's one that ranks #10,794. These numbers (to me) don't seem to indicate they'll be running out of product any too soon. Perhaps they sell better on other sites. *shoulder shrug*

By-the-by...Just for the sake of comparison, the two upcoming Dick V. Dyke Show DVD Sets rank as #662 and #780 @ Amazon (as of this minute). [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

They don't sell Power Rangers much via the e-tailers like Amazon. These DVDs (3 released, 2 on the way, plus a total of 4 non-NinjaStorm DVDs) sell nicely at Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart however. Also toy stores and comic book stores. Believe me, it makes The Mouse some nice dough!

Thanks for the nice words about my thoughts. [​IMG]