What's new

Blu-ray Review The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1 Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for sharing. I sold my DVDs because I figured next time I watch it I'll just buy the HD streaming versions. Now if only they'd start streaming the rest of Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD (I know, different rights holder), I Love Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and others.
You're welcome! I bought season 1 on blu ray and have the regular dvds. If you need any more pics on HD from other seasons posted....let me know and I'll post them.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Great review. While I'm going ahead and getting all three of the CBS BR's being released scheduled on May 6th, this is a favorite show of mine and one I could get the first five seasons of on BR, if released. Glad it appears to be a top-notch release.

I actually like season one as much as the others. To me Ellie was the best for Andy because she was more of an equal in their relationship. As you said "feisty and assertive". Helen was fine in the later years but to me she was just there for stability. I recall liking Peggy as well for similar reasons as Ellie, but she didn't last long.

I saw an interview with Elinor Donahue much later in life and from what I recall she wasn't dropped from the show, but asked to be released. As the first season progressed more and more attention went to Don Knott's, for obvious reasons. To make room for more Barney meant cutting back on Ellie. Feeling a bit insecure with this and various other things she said she felt less wanted and asked to be released. They granted her request, even though she really wasn't sure she wanted it. That's the gist of what I remember from the interview.

While I miss Ellie after season one, it was probably for the best since it allowed the Barney character to continue to grow and become a major star of the show.
From early on the arc of the show was no marriage for Andy --- maybe that's why she wanted out?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
From early on the arc of the show was no marriage for Andy --- maybe that's why she wanted out?
From what I recall she really didn't want out. She seem to insinuate it was an insecure time in her life and she saw more time going to Don Knott's and was looking for some assurances that they really wanted her as a character. So she expressed maybe it was time for her to move on, and instead of trying to talk her out of it, they honored her request.

You can watch the interview itself on the TV Legend Interviews, on Archive of American Television and draw your own conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks