1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time/Life Press Release: Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 9, 2017.

1. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    On some level I still can't believe it happened!

Here's a little curio that I just happened to see about a year ago. It's called "Rowan & Martin at the Movies" and was made in 1968. It's a short MGM produced film ostensibly to sell U.S. Savings Bonds and was played in movie theatres. It's very much done in the style of Laugh-In, with some guest stars. It even has a laugh track. Apparently TCM played it on their channel at some point. Let me know what your opinions are!

likewow and Lecagr like this.
  2. nobajoba

nobajoba Stunt Coordinator

Todd
    That's really neat. Done very much like Laugh In. But boy blink and you'll miss Carol Burnett.

likewow likes this.
  3. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    The 10 minute clip "Rowan & Martin at the Movies" was fun, too bad it wasn't included on the DVD's as an extra. Thanks Martin P. for posting it.

nobajoba and MartinP. like this.
  4. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    My box isn't holding up well. Not very sturdy, and easily dented/scratched.

likewow likes this.
  5. nobajoba

Todd
    I wish I'd left mine in the original plastic wrap, that's what I've started doing on box sets like this to help preserve the box longer.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  6. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Last night I watched Season 2 Episode 19 on the DVD, and I did notice a few times intermittently during the episode when the video did a weird looking speed up/slow down motion for a few brief seconds. It's not really too distracting and didn't ruin the viewing experience of the episode, but it was noticeable. Maybe this is what Jesse Skeen and a few others are talking about when they say Time-Life screwed up the video.

7. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    No, I don't think that's what they mean, but I don't care what they mean anymore. These "few others" seem to be the only ones with the complaints. I'm happy!

I also just got through watching Season 2 again. I didn't notice anything happening on Episode 19, GS: Davy Jones.

nobajoba likes this.
  8. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Season 2 is my favorite season. Take a closer look at episode 19 and see if you can spot the occasional speed up/slow down motion in the video. It occurs just a few times and lasts only a few seconds, but it's noticeable.

There's another episode, I forget which one it is currently, but there's a scene where one of the women is introduced, it appears like she's about to sing a song, but instead she strolls past the piano and walks out the stage door. As she's walking off, that weird looking, speed up/slow down motion occurs again.

9. nobajoba

Todd
    I guess
    Dinah Shore in season 4 is introduced and walks past the piano and out the stage door to outside and gets on a motorcycle thing. I know there's an episode where she does that. But the slow/speed up thing is done on purpose, so that may not be what you're talking about.

MartinP. and Lecagr like this.
  10. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Yes I believe the scene with Dinah Shore is the one I was thinking about. If the speed up/slow down motion was done on purpose, maybe it was also intentionally done in episode 19 of season 2. It's a weird looking effect. Maybe the producers wanted to mess with peoples eyes. :laugh:

nobajoba likes this.