What's new

Classic and/or popular series you've never really watched? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
re: Dr. Who. i agree.... it's just a huge commitment. i basically dont watch TV unless i can view the only episode. dont have any antenna or any subscription services ;P

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
TravisR said:
Like any series, the journey was far more important than the destination.
I loved Lost. Along with Prison Break, one of the very few series in the past 20 years. I arrranged my schedule so that I wouldn't miss an episode. Before all the clones of it came along, it was most original series television had seen in a few decades.

"No one is going to tell me what I can and can't do" - John Locke,,,classic line and was a dead on portrayal by Terry "O" Quinn.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
TravisR said:
Like any series, the journey was far more important than the destination.
Perhaps on the first viewing but as the destination was disappointing it makes a repeat run difficult to get round to.
I just watched the whole of ER for the first time ever over 7 months and I'm already quite keen to watch it again.

I wonder if LOST will be a forgotten series in syndication.

Back on topic - I've never watched an episode of Cheers or The Fugitive

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I never watched "Friends" when it was on. I've seen maybe two or three episodes since then (not my choice) and came away convinced I didn't miss anything I would have enjoyed.

Tooncy

Second Unit
Friends was a pretty stupid show. Poorly written and acted, if you ask me. The one show I really dislike though is MASH. Those people thought they were so clever that it oozes off the screen.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
classicmovieguy said:
I don't really like westerns, so no "Bonanza" or "Gunsmoke". Ditto "Star Trek". Never much cared for "Happy Days", "Andy Griffith" or "MASH".
I agree with this with the exception of the first season of MASH which I remember liking until Henry was killed off.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
bluelaughaminute said:
Back on topic - I've never watched an episode of Cheers
Oh, well, that's just wrong--Hie thee to episode 5.24, "Cheers: the Motion Picture" on Netflix immediately. :)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I pretty much stopped watching first run TV shows in the mid 80s. So shows like Cheers, Seinfeld, Family Ties and so many others from that decade I pretty much have no interest in. Eventhough I graduated high school in the early 80s, I just never really cared for the decade. I would like to eventually see Cheers. The few episodes that I've seen it were pretty good.

I tend to concentrate my viewing on shows from the 60s or 70s. Mainly the 70s. I do have a few blind buys from the 70s that I have not watched. Sanford and Son comes to mind as well as Ellery Queen. Also, Kung Fu. I watched it a lot as a kid, but really couldn't remember all that much about it, so I'm curious about it. One of these days I'll get around to watching these.

A blind buy from the 60s is The Fugitive. I had always wanted to see it because of the Harrison Ford movie, and when the complete series set was released I bought it when I got my tax refund a year ago. I'm glad I did because I really, really enjoyed it.

Some shows that I have not watched that have always been on would be I Love Lucy (it just doesn't look like something I would enjoy), The Dick Van Dyke Show (I've seen a few episodes and it is very good so I'd kind of like to see all of it) and I Dream of Jennie (looks like a Bewitched rip-off and just doesn't appeal to me).

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Mad About You, Newhart, Boston Legal, NYPD Blue, ER.

Never got into any of these. Likely, never will. Tried. In the case of ER and NYPD Blue, I was pretty much force-fed an entire season before giving up.

Would also suggest the word 'Get' should have been added to the series title of, 'LOST'. Another, no thank you from me. Apologies in advance to those who worship that show, including at least 2 family members who keep trying to get me to get through it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
There's not enough time or money to blind buy--If I buy something, it's designed to last, so I choose carefully.
;)

Maybe that's something I ought to do more-- weigh all potential purchases in the balance, and ask myself several things, like so:

--Are the characters within people I'd enjoy being around if I was in the world of that particular show?

--Are the main and end title tracks works of audio art that I would enjoy listening to on a consistent basis?

--Are the title sequence and closing credits works of visual art that I would enjoy seeing on a consistent basis?

To be honest, there are quite a few series that have passed those sniff tests all flags flying for me-- two of them have passed 'em and then some, and those are Emergency! and The Streets of San Francisco.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Perhaps this has been mentioned before. I never got into "Game of Thrones". When it was in first run, we did not have streaming services. Later a cable network locally was broadcasting season 1 and I gave it a try. I found the first show really boring and did not make it all the way through. I should not be surprised, because despite being a Tolkien fan, I generally hate fantasy, although I gobble up any Sci-fi I can. If a show doesn't have any grounding in science, however far fetched, I am not usually interested.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A hugely popular show that I think is too hit and miss is Seinfeld. I just don’t like Seinfeld’s and Dreyfus’s characters.

I blind bought a few series I just haven’t gotten around to binging yet, and I’ve had these sets for a few years now- The King Of Queens, How I Met Your Mother and Burn Notice. I have the Friends BluRay set, and have only gotten through episode number 7 or 8 in season 2. So much stuff, so little time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks