What's new

Weekly Roundup 9/30 (1 Viewer)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I went to walmart, Bestbuy, and Costco. None of them had the Scarface gift set. BB said they sold out. So I got it at Borders for a little more than the other stores about $56 minus %20 coupon about $50 out the door
I had the same problem today. No one had the gift set. So I just ordered mine from Amazon. $41.99 Free shipping.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I went to walmart, Bestbuy, and Costco. None of them had the Scarface gift set.
I just got back from the Tacoma Best Buy and they had tons of the Scarface box set. I elected for just the single disc - not worth it to me to spend an additional $35 just to get the original version (shame on you Universal!)

Also as a side note - they only ordered three copies of The Tick. Lame!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

My Best Buy had ZERO copies of The Tick out for purchase. I had to ask someone to check in the back, from which they produced one for me. Lame indeed.

And to that I say, let them taste the swift blue boot of JUSTICE Arthur!

SPOON!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well if you do some work online you can get comparable deals and just wait for them in your mailbox

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy.com has 20% off many of their DVD Collector sets. You have to click on the Collector Sets link under movies and click on the titles individually.

Babylon 5 1st and 2nd Season sets are $63.99 on sale (save $16 each)!

Many more good bargains to be found, I expect. This is online only. Stores aren't having the sale, though I expect you may be able to pick up product there after ordering online.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Dave - Great job as usual on the Weekly Roundup. :emoji_thumbsup: It is very much appreciated!

Attention Inland Empire Shoppers - Corona Wal-Mart continues to come through with their $13.88 pricing on new releases:

Picked-up the following:
Barbie of Swan Lake
Bend It Like Beckman (WS)
Fargo: SE
Scarface: 2-Disc Anniversary Edition (WS)

Passed-on the following:
2 Fast 2 Furious
Dreamcatcher

I didn't check-on or see any other new releases - quick trip in and out just before closing tonite.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy had gotten in over a hundred of the Scarface deluxe sets, and by the time I stopped in to get mine near the dinner hour they only had 20 left. People were buying multiple copies of it (and the normal release) just on the chance of eBaying it later to people who missed out. Everyone seems to think that the new release will go OOP and hard-to-find again. Personally, I think Universal's learned their lesson on this title. I just got one deluxe copy for myself, and checked out the 1932 version for 5 minutes while cooking dinner. Looked great!

At BB I also spotted The Tick, Bottom, AbFab, Blue's Clues, Nicktoons, Scooby, Dawson, Dark Shadows, and Mr. Bean, among others.

Not spotted anywhere I went: Are You Being Served (I ordered mine from Amazon.CA for US$67.xx, but it won't ship for a week or two), the Fu Manchus, Victory At Sea, or Dr. Quinn.

I found a single copy of The Warner Legends Collection in stock at Borders...noone else had it. $66.99, plus I used the 20%-off coupon from the Waldenbooks flyer (yesterday was the last day to use that, and I didn't have the printable 40% off coupon with me to try that one).

Costco had these and only these: 2F2F $18.29, Adv/RH $18.99, Barbie $11.99, Beckham $17.29, Dreamcatcher $17.99, Fargo $14.99, Osbournes $17.49, Scarface (non-Deluxe) $18.29 (they did NOT have the deluxe!), Scooby $16.99, Treasure/SM $18.99, Who:KAAR-SE $15.99, and YankeeDD $18.99.

As a side note, Wal-Mart had experienced very high shoplifting rates with Daddy Day Care last week and anticipated high levels with 2F2F and Scarface (they also only had the standard version, though both in Wide- and Full-screen versions). So they had a new lock-up area for DVDs near the register. If you only looked on the shelf then you might have missed it, except for one handwritten sign that wasn't too obviously placed. If you don't see something at Wal-Mart, ask.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
P.S. - Meant to agree with the part about having to hunt for new releases. As my last post indicates, I had to hunt all over and STILL didn't find everything I was looking for.

I don't like to wait on mailed orders to arrive, either...and am scared not only of damaged shipments but also of lost/stolen shipments. And returns are a hassle. But even I broke down and went to Amazon in the face of realizing that if Borders didn't have AYBS Collection 2, then noone locally would. I can't believe that BB didn't have it, but instead had Bottom! Wow...Bottom deserves to be on DVD, no doubt. However, compared to the popularity of the AYBS? cast, Bottom falls into the category of "obscure" for most Americans. Hard to justify stocking Bottom over AYBS? on BB's part!

As far as it goes, though, I don't envy the people who work for retailers in the position of DVD buyers. They have so damn many titles to pick from, and limited amounts of space. They have to make hard decisions about what they think will sell. They also realize that hard-core folks like us will run around and get what we want, any way we can. ;)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
David, im glad to hear you found the gift set easy. Let us know when you get around to it, what you thought of the alternate ending on the 32 version. I thought it was a real hoot. ;) This has to be the coolest looking boxset to date.:emoji_thumbsup:

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Speaking of hunting down new-release DVD titles--anyone know of a B&M store that has the new Spongebob Xmas DVD in stock? My local Best Buy didn't have any...and FWIW when I got there at 1 PM yesterday (Tuesday) they were already out of stock of the Scarface giftset...:frowning:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Came up with a big fat zero on The Tick at Costco, Media Play, Circuit City and Best Buy around me. Bummer.

Jim-M

Second Unit
I don't like to wait on mailed orders to arrive, either...and am scared not only of damaged shipments but also of lost/stolen shipments. And returns are a hassle. But even I broke down and went to Amazon
David, you should be in good hands with Amazon.ca, even if it gets lost. I ordered an expensive boxset from them last year that got lost in the mail during the holidays. They sent out a new one a few weeks later (when they got more in stock) without any hassle whatsoever. I was very impressed.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Well I am suprised that more people are not taking advantage of the FYE deal on the Scarface set I mean $29.99 after rebate is a good deal.

Anyway FYE has a similar story on Scarface. The manager at the store I went to sad they got in 58 copies of the set and about 200 of the disc by itself. By 7pm last night when I went in for mine he only had 15 gift sets left and only about 50 of the disc alone.

Went back today for 2 more gift sets and I got the last 2. They still had about 50 of the disc itself. The girl at the register said another 75 gift sets were expected to be delivered tommorrow though.

Good luck getting what you need. It is becoming more difficult to get what you need locally though. My Tuesday nights are nothing more than a big seek and find mission now!!

At least with the roundup I know where to start looking FIRST!

Thanks Dave and all contributors of the Weekly Roundup!

Greg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Someone said FYE seems to have difficulty honoring their rebates.

Rebates are a shady way of doing business anyway. If you want to give your customers savings, give it to them. Don't make them jump through six hoops to get it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, agreed. In any case the FYE nearest to me seems to be manned on Tuesdays/Wednesdays by

a real lazy stupid bitch who's pissed me off a bit too often!

...so I'm kinda bypassing that store for the past while. If I get out to one of the other locations in town, then fine, or if it's on a night that someone else seems to be there. But I won't go out of my way to stop there just to check.

Mark<>Tsc

Grip
For those of you looking for The Tick...I noticed that at
my.sony.com you can pick it up for $19.00 (with free shipping of course as per usual)

BTW...Is this title worth a blind buy?
Never saw the show on the tube.
What show would you compare it to ? if any

Thanks

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Rebates are a shady way of doing business anyway. If you want to give your customers savings, give it to them. Don't make them jump through six hoops to get it
When I was in Pennsylvania in August just as Futurama was being released I stopped in a FYE because I saw a sign that said: Futurama $29.99. I picked up a copy to only find that I had to pay $39.99 and then send in the rebate and wait. Needless to say I didn't buy it. Went to Target the next day and got it for $24.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks