What's new

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, I agree Mike. They're always much more expensive than they need to be and the store is overrun trying to cater to everyone.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Haven't heard anything about them closing the whole chain (which is now less than 300 stores), but they aren't doing great as their most recent quarterly report shows same-store sales down 5% from the same quarter last year (2% overall for the year). They seem to be moving toward online/digital as they recently acquired a digital company.

The report also says the sales percentage of the Kitschy merchandise (30%) is now larger than their music sales.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The report also says the sales percentage of the Kitschy merchandise (30%) is now larger than their music sales.
I believe that. There's an FYE that recently opened (or re-opened after about a year) at my local mall and it's largely toys, shirts, etc. There's still a semi-decent movie section and their vinyl records section is getting larger all the time but the CD section is very small.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The FYEs in my area have downsized and emphasized the kitschy merchandise in the new locations. One location still has a decent-sized media selection...but it is poorly organized and displayed. It is a chore to navigate.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
They've been closing a few stores at a time for years now, so it may not be over yet. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Unfortunately, they closed the couple of stores that had been invaluable to me and were heads and shoulders above the rest in every department.

Their awful pricing was often a deterrent to buying something there, but their used goods could be wonderful back in the day. However, this recent change in the merchandise is mystifying and disheartening. This truly has been the chain with the death wish.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually talked to the manager of the FYE store which recently down-sized and completely went mondo on the merchandise.

I complained about the size of the media section, I complained about the display of the media (very hard to pick through) and told him how guys like me interested in media just aren't going to make the effort. I was really nice about it and presented it as constructive feedback. He was very polite and seemed genuinely interested. He was also about 20 years old. I knew the mountain was insurmountable but he did agree with me about the displays and said they would be changing (they haven't).

He also told me that the merchandise is what's making them money now. Therefore, the de-emphasis on media.

I totally look for USED titles there. I have found some really great titles and rally great deals in the past. I still wander in...but they are much shorter trips.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As a follow up: I overheard an EE tell a customer their lease is up and it was decided not to renew. Another store will be taking over the FYE space, along with the space next door. The best guess is they will knock out the wall.

That being said...picked up the 1966 Batman TV show on BD for $55 and two Cars Pops (Doc Hudson and Ramone) for $11 each. I could have done more wallet damage, but I decided not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks