What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/3 (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
Im off of work tomorrow(class) so I was going to be there at 10am anyway:)

btw is T2 UE better from T2 SE, sans the video?

Chris

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
One big thing about the new T2 for those with HTPC is the higher resolution Windows Media 9 version of the movie. If you got a HTPC it's almost a no brainer. =)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Thnaks for the heads up on the South Park Bonus disc David!

Thank goodness I'm off and I'll be at Best Buy @ 9:50 AM to try and get one.....

This better not be a fiasco - lots of folks are gonna be upset if they don't get that disc!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's kind of useless to go over Wal-Mart prices that I have seen, since it varies from store to store. But I took a quick run over there this morning to see what I could see.

Plenty of Fast & Furious with the little "Hot Wheel" cars, and a decent supply of About Schmidt...both in the just-over $17 range I was told (nothing was marked yet).

Die Another Day and T2 were $14.24 each. S.W.A.T was $22.72 with just about a half-dozen copies. Black Hawk Down was there in the mid-twenties (I forget the exact price). They had a buttload of Hulk: The Premiere for $14.44 each.

To my utter surprise, I was able to buy copies of two recent releases that hadn't shown up anywhere yet: The Rescuers and The Love Bug (2 Disc SE) were just $14.44 each! They only had 1 or 2 copies of each though.

No South Park or DS9 in stock, though I was told they were *supposed* to have them (for $28.49 and $94.99). I was told they will NOT CARRY The Anamatrix.

Nor did I see the new Blues Clues, Dora The Explorer, or Power Ranger Ninja Storm...even though Wal-Mart faithfully carries this type of thing. I was told to check back later. No Empire Records Remix, no Law & Order premiere episodes, no Jaws 3 or Revenge, no Fame, no Paper Chase, no Smokey & The Bandit 2, no Super Mario Bros., no Baywatch, no Cahill or Chisum, no Sneakers, no Half Moon Street, no Death of the Incredible Hulk.

Pretty much as I figured it, although the lack fo the Blues/Dora/Rangers was surprising. I'm sure Costco will have these at a good price, or Target. Best Buy is holding South Park and Die Another Day for me...they may also have some of the other stuff. For the catalog titles that don't warrant overnight shipping, I'll be calling on Borders. :)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
btw is T2 UE better from T2 SE, sans the video?
Christopher:

Outside of the picture, the sound quailty is the same. I cued up both the UE & EE DD-EX tracks and found no major difference in sound. The commetary track was somewhat interesting to listen to.

I haven't fooled around to much with the interactive viewing yet. Incase you wondering what that is, it's sort of like the white rabbit feature on the Matrix. A symbol will pop up on the screen. You hit the enter button on your remote & it branches out to some behind the scenes footage. What I have seen is pretty decent.

The EE Bonus disc has 2 documetaries totaling 34 minutes in length. I haven't checked out the DVD-Rom material yet such as creating your own Hunter Killer or morphing your own image.

If you can get it for a good price(under $18 or less), do it.

Joe

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from Target. I got:

Blackhawk Down (3 Disc) $24.99

Die Another Day $14.99

T2: Extreme Edition $14.99

Fast & The Furious (Tricked Out Edition) $14.99

Animatrix $14.99

They also had (About Schmidt) for $14.99 but I didn't get it.

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Dave - Thanks once again for all your hard work and time to put together the Weekly Round-Up. It is appreciated. :emoji_thumbsup:

Stopped by my local Wal-Mart (Corona, CA) this morning and picked-up the following:

About Schmidt $13.88
The Anamatrix $13.88
Die Another Day (WS) $13.88
Fast and the Furious: Tricked-Out $13.88
T2: Extreme Edition $13.88

Passed on SWAT Season 1 ($22.72) and Black Hawk Down: Deluxe Edition ($29.72). I told the clerk in the electronics department that their price was too high on BHD: DE. I informed her that CC & Target both had it for $24.99 and she offered to match the price without the ad. I'm holding off for now - I may pick it up directly from Sony for $17-$18.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Come on, folks-- has ANYONE ELSE verified Dave's fears about South Park v. 2 at Best Buy? I'm trying to sneak away from deadlines this morning, but it's going to be tough.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I just called and they said they had lots of sets w/ the bonus disc, but they've been selling quickly and may not last until tomorrow.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
My Best Buy (San Antonio, San Pedro location) had three shelves of South Park S2 with the bonus disc. Plenty.

They also had the new Dora, Blue, Little Bear, and Dr. Seuss releases.

BTW, my Animatrix ($14.99) came with a free patch.

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
All the Copies of South Park season Two at my Best Buy(I wanna say around 10) all had bonus discs. I dunno how other Best Buy's do it but sometimes its better just to run to the TV section to pick up DS9 and SOuth Park because sometimes they dont have them out on the new release section. A whole display was donoted for DAD.

PS: If Target is selling t2 for 14bucks I mihgt pick it up thrusday when I go out to get St. Anger(METALLICA!).

Chris

Next Week: Also stinks Buffy Season 4, Robin Hood and Right Stuff.

MY WALLET CANT HANDLE THE STRAIN CAPTAIN!

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa! Big variation among Target and Wal-Mart stores this week, I guess. My local target was charging $17.99 for About Schmidt, and Wal-Mart had it for $19.98. Die Another Day was also around $19.99. Bummer (and strange for this NH Wal-Mart).

And Christopher, the best comparative review I've read of T2:EE vs. Ultimate Ed., with screenshots, was at IGN, at this link: IGN T2 Review . Hope it helps!

- Bob P.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
I got the South Park Season 2 to qualify for the [up to 3] $11.99 DVDs at BB. I picked out Mr. Deeds, Big Daddy, and 13th Warrior. For some reason, their automatic coupon calculation at the register gave me 13th Warrior for $3 instead of $11.99 ($14.99 - $3.00). I dunno if this is a goof on the part of my local BB, but maybe you guys can duplicate it and save some dough :)

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
The "Bond Girls are Forever" bonus disc is pretty cool, as it works in your DVD player, but also in your computer. When I put it in here at work, it came right up with a computer menu and you have access to everything right there. You will get a little embedded Quicktime window to watch the stuff.

Then I started WinDVD and you get a different menu, and can watch everything in normal full screen DVD res. Pretty cool!

BTW, it comes in a normal DVD case, with some BB coupons in there as well. Nice.

-Christian

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My Best Buy had about 25 South Park #2's - and all of them had the Bonus Disc.

I picked up:

Die Another Day ($14.99)
w/ Free Bond Girls DVD

South Park Season 2 ($28.99)
w/ Free Bonus Disc

T2 Exteme Edition ($13.99)

If you notice the prices I paid for the last two titles, SP #2 and T2 EE) they are exactly $1.00 less than TARGET's AD shows.

I brought in my Target ad and the customer service rep priced matched them both and also gave me another dollar off on each of them.

I'm not sure why she did this - and I didn't ask...as it seems like they have done this the last couple times I have priced matched (it's been awhile though - so I may not be remembering correctly) other competitors.

Good luck!

Oh, and I also picked up: Inside Pitch 2003 for the XBOX :)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
First off thanks for the hard work Dave.

Just got back from Bestbuy. I only saw about 15-20 South Park sets. I don't know if they had more else where though. I got it for $29.99 with Target price match.

I also did target match For BHD at $24.99

The Universal catalog titles only had about 3-4 of each:
Jaws 3 $17.99
Jaws Revenge $17.99
Midnight Run $14.99

Plenty of the DAD and bond girls DVDs $14.99 It was about .15 cheaper at Wally World but then you dont get the bond girls.

If I remember corectly there was a decent amount of empire records remix DVDs priced at $19.99 A little expensive but I got it any way.

Hope this helps any body who has not made it out yet.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
my best buy had at least 15 copies of South Park left, all with the bonus disc. They price matched it to Target easily enough, but I didn't get any further discount (like the $1 extra mentioned above).

Galen_V

Second Unit
Thanks for the hard work Dave! I have a question though. With the price cuts today of all of the remastered Kubrick movies from 30 dollars to 20 dollars (and retailing at Amazon for 15 bucks a pop), are there any plans to cut the price of the Remastered Stanley Kubrick Collection boxed set? As it stands now I can get all of the movies in the box for 120 dollars each at Amazon, instead of 160 dollars for the whole set.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
HaHa! I just opened my BOND GIRLS ARE FOREVER DVD to check the coupon boook and to my suprise, 2 Discs are inside (both the same). Both of them were lose and sliding around. Anybody else "get lucky"?

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Just got back from Wally World and here is what I found in my area

About Schmidt $14.44 (display was not up but the lady scanned a copy direct from the box for me for the price)
Animatrix - $12.44 :eek: (I had no plans of getting this but at that price I couldn't resist)
Die Another Day - $14.44
Fast & Furious - $14.44
T2 - $14.44
BHD - $22.44 (again not on display yet but checked out of the box)
SWAT - $22.44
ST Deep Space 9 - $98.44

Titles no where to be found at this WM

Empire Records
Dora,Blue
Smokey and the Bandit II
Sneakers
Jaws 3
Jaws the Revenge
South Park

As we all know YMMV at your local WM. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

FYI I am off to BB this afternoon for the Bond deal!!

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks