What's new

Weekly Roundup 1/7 (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody have a guess at what Sam's Club price is on Buffy Season 3? I don't know whether to wait or go ahead and get it at Wal-Mart.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
RE: To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar I had this listed to be in the Roundup, but noone except for Best Buy and Amazon showed it. Since it wasn't discussed much on HTF, and since it was listed among the markdown items, I convinced myself that this was an old release that Best Buy and Amazon - as they've done in the past - simply had the markdown date on as a "new release" date. Now I check the studio website and see I was wrong. Well, BB shows $17.99, Amazon for $14.99, and noone else shows it listed. Sorry for the confusion. Y'know, I might be interested in this myself as a blind purchase, but even $14.99 feels a bit high for this. Heck, I can get Woman in Red - a title I've anticipated for a while - for just $9.99! The price on TWF,TFE!JN - along with Best Little Whorehouse in Texas - seems a tad steep. I'll wait til they hit the reductions, thank you very much!

Patrick, my thanks also for the extra info! I think I'll finally nab Legally Blonde...it looks like this might be the lowest price for a while (I can't see evidence of a permanent price drop on the horizon; with my luck I'll find out about it next week! :p) ).

Finally, I don't even know IF Buffy will be at Sam's Club. More than likely it's "yes", but if so, it ain't listed at their web site. But then again, TZ isn't shown at Costco's site. Why not? I dunno.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Fans of Educating Rita will be happy to know that this morning DVDEmpire has added a listing for it with a 1/21 date! Columbia's press database hasn't changed yet, though, so be careful before you get too happy.
Next item to mention: In my haste to get the Roundup out, I left off a bullet point:
* Non-OAR discs are, as usual, entirely left off the Roundup. Example: Summer Lovers.
Stay away from that chop-and-crop puppy; this film was originally 2.35:1 IIRC!! :eek: MGM, how could you?
On the other hand, a different MGM film that I THOUGHT was not gonna be OAR, Making Mr. Right, turns out to include both versions on the same disc. So it's back on my "want" list. Best Buy has it for $12.99, but Circuit City is cheaper at $10.99...methinks BB is marking it up, 'cuz this lists for the same price as The Woman In Red. Well, phooey on BB...I'll get it elsewhere! :p)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Will try to get to BB to pick up "Signs" along with "Unbreakable" so I can get the 2 for $25 deal.

Peace

Joe

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have a guess at what Sam's Club price is on Buffy Season 3? I don't know whether to wait or go ahead and get it at Wal-Mart.
Don't bother getting Buffy from Wal-Mart, it $49 dollars! :angry: I decided to only get Signs there and pick up Buffy on a later date (from Best Buy) instead.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not really relevant to this week's "Round-Up," but I was in my local Movie Gallery yesterday and they had all their Christmas DVD's (new, sealed) on clearance sale. I got:
  • Beauty & the Beast: Enchanted Christmas for $9.99
  • The Santa Clause: SE (in widescreen) for $9.99
  • A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott) for $7.49
They also had the new Jim Carrey "Grinch: SE," "A Christmas Story," "White Christmas," "Rudolph," and the animated "Grinch" for cheap as well.
I actually picked up the remaining two copies of B&TB:EC even though I'd already purchased it previously, since it's supposedly now out-of-print (sticker "Available for this season only") so maybe I'll be able to Ebay them in a year or two to make some additional Christmas spending cash. :) If there's no market, I'll just give them as gifts!

Jodee

Screenwriter
Went to Best Buy and picked up Signs & 6th Sensefor $25. Also price-matched The Good Girl for $17.99.
Can you believe they were sold out of Buffy Season 3 at 3pm? They had a big empty row and they even checked in the back and had no more. From the size of the empty row and the empty front new release row they must have blown through 50 copies. A guy in front of me in the checkout line had apparently grabbed the very last one.
And get this: they hadn't even gotten The Shield in yet!
So I went down the street to Circuit City and price-matched Buffy and also picked up The Shield which was $45.99 regular price (same as Target's "sale" price.)
I also have these 1/7 releases on order from DVD Empire:
Imitation of life - $13.99
(surprised this was not in the Round-Up)
Dogfight - $13.99
Secret Admirer - $9.72
Making Mr. Right - $10.47
If I had more money I'd probbaly also get Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Trouble in Paradise.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I just checked Sam's Club's website, and they have the Buffy: Season 3 listed at 40 bucks. Is this price usually permanent?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What are the differences between the original and Vista releases of The Sixth Sense? Is it worth replacing?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Re: Sam's (and Costco) pricing - yes, until they run out or send them back to make room for newer DVD titles.

Best Buy was selling Signs for $15.99 or 2 for $25 (with coupled with either Unbreakable or The Sixth Sense), so I passed for now since I have both of his previous films.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I bought the Shield at Costco and took back the other one to Circuit City. Was worth saving $6!

The lady at CC said they would match Costco prices, so that is good to know for the future. I figured they would not since it's a members-only place.

But I had already bought it at Costco so I didn't bother with the 110% refund difference.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I walked into BB and saw their giant 2-sided DVD display that they've been using for the past 2-3 months to show off the biggest new releases, and the side facing the door had Signs in it, and the - ahem - sign said "$15.99 DVD, $14.99 VHS". I was flabbergasted, to be sure, but we grabbed one to buy anyway. After all, we were there.
Went back to the aisles to look for the Universal titles on sale, and noted that the shelf talker for Signs said $14.99!! :eek:
Rang up at $14.99, too. Strange, but it worked out okay! I also got U-571 and For Love of the Game, for $14.99 ea. plus a free $10 giftcard.
I was also in Circuit City to get Legally Blonde, and noticed that their price for "Woman in Red" was $9.99, not $10.99 as stated in my Roundup. Good deal!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
No, I can't say I knew about that Shane! Do you recall the name of the vendor? Or whether or not you had to go through airport security to get to them? (not a real problem, but I'm just curious as to which side of the "checkpoint" they are on)
Since I flew into Memphis and didn't have to show my id to get thru the area I'll assume based on my memory that It's past the Sec Check. The Vendor was on a corner and he is the only person there. It's around the corner of all the food there.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
The nearest BB is about 40 miles away so I priced-matched the 2 for 25 at Wmart and got Signs and Sixth Sense-Vista. Not bad!

Aaron,
The original 6th Sense was very good and had good supplements but I understand the newer Vista has improved pic quality and dts...and cool packaging if you're in to that!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
EDIT I'm editing my post to remove the vendors name.
I picked up Signs and Unbreakable at BB for $25. Sweet!!!
BTW, this past friday I went to my local Big Chain Video Rental Store and they had Signs for rent and for sale. The kid behind the counter said that the street date was moved up. Any truth to that? I know that some mom & pop stores will sell before street date but didn't think that Big Chain Video Rental Store did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks