What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 7-10-2018
WRU-Banner-2018a-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– A Quiet Place – 2018

Weekly RoundUp 7-10-2018

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've been curious about A Quiet Place since it's release. Looking forward to checking it out. I think I'll take advantage of this week's Target deal on the 4k/UHD.

Safe shopping, RoundUppers! Hope you find something you like!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp!

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, A Bill of Divorcement, and A Quiet Place will all find their way into my collection at some point.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the RoundUp, Mike!

This week: Barnes & Noble sale, so Bull Durham for me, along with a couple more Criterions on my list.

Some point in the near future:
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • A Bill of Divorcement
Possible blind buys:
  • Billy Budd
  • Fire Birds

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the RoundUp!

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, A Bill of Divorcement, and A Quiet Place will all find their way into my collection at some point.
I've ordered all of those titles with the first two already shipped to me. The last one, I just cancelled my Amazon order and will pick it up at Target. Bull Durham has shipped too from B&N.

By the way, Billy Budd is $17.97 at Amazon.

Clay_E

Second Unit
Gotta be the Criterion edition of Bull Durham for me this week! Barnes & Noble has it for $19.99 for anyone interested.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the prices, Mike. A Quiet Place intrigues me, but since it would be a blind purchase I am not going to break my price ceiling of $20 for a UHD title. Your round up lists it for about $25 at both Amazon and Target, so I am curious why some of you are canceling your Amazon orders to get it at Target? Is the Target price supposed to drop, or did Amazon just price match them after you canceled?

Edit: okay, I now see the $5 Target gift card with the purchase of A Quiet Place. Still not worth it for me, as I rarely shop there. I guess I will wait for the inevitable price drop, or pick it up when it hits $10 on iTunes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the prices, Mike. A Quiet Place intrigues me, but since it would be a blind purchase I am not going to break my price ceiling of $20 for a UHD title. Your round up lists it for about $25 at both Amazon and Target, so I am curious why some of you are canceling your Amazon orders to get it at Target? Is the Target price supposed to drop, or did Amazon just price match them after you canceled?
Scott,

• I have 20-25 Target gift cards that I accumulated over the years so I'll use $10 worth for this purchase.
  • You get another $5 gift card for purchasing it at Target.
  • I'll be using my Target "Red" card for another 5% off.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,

• I have 20-25 Target gift cards that I accumulated over the years so I'll use $10 worth for this purchase.
  • You get another $5 gift card for purchasing it at Target.
  • I'll be using my Target "Red" card for another 5% off.
Sounds like a good deal for you, Robert. I don't have a Target card, since I don't really shop there. My wife shops there occasionally (she shops everywhere :lol:), but I don't think she has a card, either.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sounds like a good deal for you, Robert. I don't have a Target card, since I don't really shop there. My wife shops there occasionally (she shops everywhere :lol:), but I don't think she has a card, either.
The $5 gift card brings the price down to $19.99. Below your $20 price point. There ya go. Now you can pick it up. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's just it.

The FULL math on A Quiet Place @ Target is:

$24.95 - $5 (GC) = $19.99 - $1 (5% Target RedCard discount) = $18.99.

Hard to beat that for a new UHD release these days.

(But--to be fair--you DO need to have a use for the Target giftcard and reason-enough to go thru the process of ordering a Target credit card). But I have both! :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as always Mike!

Assuming that Barnes & Noble's preorder price of $34.99 for "The Magicians" Season 3 on Blu holds up on release day, I'll use the 20% off coupon I couldn't use for the Criterion sale to get it down to $27.99. I like to support TV on Blu-Ray, and that show is one of my current favorites. I revisit it each year before the new season starts, and I'm rewarded by the journey every time.

I'll also pick up A Quiet Place at some point. Despite being shot on film, it was completed as a 2K digital intermediate and the Atmos track is also included on the Blu-Ray, so I probably won't bother with the UHD release.

I've been curious about A Quiet Place since it's release. Looking forward to checking it out.
It's a master class of suspense, but I think the thing I admired most about it was the worldbuilding. Everything is told through the perspectives of the various members of one family, so we're only seeing a tiny slice of this world. But the set decorators filled the environments with details that help fill in the larger story, and Krasinski often provides information in establishing shots and other wide shots to clue the audience in as to what else is going on nearby.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks as always Mike!

I'll also pick up A Quiet Place at some point. Despite being shot on film, it was completed as a 2K digital intermediate and the Atmos track is also included on the Blu-Ray, so I probably won't bother with the UHD release.

It's a master class of suspense, but I think the thing I admired most about it was the worldbuilding. Everything is told through the perspectives of the various members of one family, so we're only seeing a tiny slice of this world. But the set decorators filled the environments with details that help fill in the larger story, and Krasinski often provides information in establishing shots and other wide shots to clue the audience in as to what else is going on nearby.

I was told by several people that saw it in the theater ... there was total silence (which was a good thing for this film) ..

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wanted to mention in here that Amazon recently dropped the price of Paddington 2 to $14.99. I'm not sure if they did this based on their own initiative or if they are matching a sale at one of the other major retailers, but if you've been waiting to pick it up, now would be a great time to consider it. 2018 is half over and I haven't sen any better film yet. It's a new classic, and I really highly reccomend it to everyone who might be even the slightest bit interested.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I wanted to mention in here that Amazon recently dropped the price of Paddington 2 to $14.99. I'm not sure if they did this based on their own initiative or if they are matching a sale at one of the other major retailers, but if you've been waiting to pick it up, now would be a great time to consider it. 2018 is half over and I haven't sen any better film yet. It's a new classic, and I really highly recommend it to everyone who might be even the slightest bit interested.
Or you can go to Amazon UK and get it in 4K UHD for ~$20 + shipping (make sure you use a seller who subtracts VAT).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks