What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As long as you remember/don't care that the Bluray is B-locked that would be a choice.
Yep, Studiocanal is always region locked. But 4K discs are not region locked if you have the ability to play that disc.

Walmart had Paddington 2 blu-ray for $14.96 a few weeks back. Not sure if that was a temp price, or if it's still valid.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My big question is are any of the brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart) going to carry the blu-ray of The Expanse, Season 3 coming out next Tuesday? In the past, probably, but where's the cutoff of material stocked now? Just top ten bestsellers?

Remember when Crown Books was around and just stocked the most popular titles and if you wanted anything deeper, you had to find a real book store? Now I can't even depend on Best Buy to stock a 'popular' sci-fi release. But I'd still rather pick it up Tuesday if possible then order online and not get it for a few more days. (My son and I are just finishing Season 2).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My big question is are any of the brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, Target, Walmart) going to carry the blu-ray of The Expanse, Season 3 coming out next Tuesday? In the past, probably, but where's the cutoff of material stocked now? Just top ten bestsellers?

Remember when Crown Books was around and just stocked the most popular titles and if you wanted anything deeper, you had to find a real book store? Now I can't even depend on Best Buy to stock a 'popular' sci-fi release. But I'd still rather pick it up Tuesday if possible then order online and not get it for a few more days. (My son and I are just finishing Season 2).

It’s a crap shoot in my area. This goes for new releases and older ones with name recognition. Incredibles 4K was scarce during release week (kinds less so now). ET 4K is MIA this week at two stores even though it’s listed as an advertised special.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Or you can go to Amazon UK and get it in 4K UHD for ~$20 + shipping (make sure you use a seller who subtracts VAT).

4K is irrelevant to me personally at this time. But yes, sure. Point being either way that people should see the movie and make room for it in their collections, in whichever format. It's a blast of positivity that is perfect for right now.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The web site says "available for shipping only," so that doesn't sound promising.

But remember for low quantity items and often on special sales shippers, the website often says that when they're right there in front.
If you aren't sure, just call the store and have them check or pull it for you.

If it's an 8 digit SKU then pretty much 100% it's online only

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If you aren't sure, just call the store and have them check or pull it for you.

If you can get them to be cooperative, sure. I tried this with Beauty and the Beast's steelbook last year and called right at 10am as soon as they opened for them to hold one, since online ordering for store pickup didn't work for that item at my store for some reason. They kept me on hold for 45 minutes and were sold out by the time they answered my call.

Of course, the regular keepcase edition I ended up with is now autographed by Audra McDonald, which would be a lot harder to maintain on a steelbook, so that worked out. But I was mighty annoyed with Best Buy at the time, and haven't tried to get one of their exclusives since.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Now that's a different issue, though I suspect the sale price on ET is likely muhc lower on the radar than a Brand New A-list Disney Exclusive item.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Now that's a different issue, though I suspect the sale price on ET is likely muhc lower on the radar than a Brand New A-list Disney Exclusive item.

It's all part and parcel. They can't be bothered to make sure their advertised specials are in stock and they're less likely to stock non A list titles on release week. It speaks to how much they really don't care.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The FULL math on A Quiet Place @ Target is:

$24.95 - $5 (GC) = $19.99 - $1 (5% Target RedCard discount) = $18.99.

Hard to beat that for a new UHD release these days.

(But--to be fair--you DO need to have a use for the Target giftcard and reason-enough to go thru the process of ordering a Target credit card). But I have both! :D

Done!

full

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks