What's new

Vintage Television Soundtrack Corner (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
TZ S2 E15: The Invaders

REVIEW
It’s a crude and repetitive ‘survival’ segment that plays like a silent film in which music, sound effects and grunts punctuate the drama. It shows how a lonely farm woman reacts to the intrusion of science and here in the confrontation to a spaceship and an alien invasion: you witness a sociological viewpoint expressed with broad strokes and it tends to describe the woman as a wild mute cave female. I wonder if this takes place in the XIXth century which would make it as a western narrative so in that case it would be the companion piece to “Execution” in terms of human contrast. It’s considered as a fine segment by many people but it doesn’t work for me because the main drawback of the tale is the childish tin can toys that are supposed to be astronauts and ruins the realism of the situation. Picture if you will, the ludicrous situation of an old woman crushing kids toys! But on the second thoughts, I find it experimental and radical, especially the twist ending that reveals the origin of the spaceship: US Air Force, Space Probe N° 1. It still remains an over-rated segment that is laborious. Even writer Richard Matheson didn’t like how his script was shot.

Find another season 2 drama (see “Eye of the Beholder”, “The Lateness of the Hour”) centered around a woman fearing the unknown and the first alien contact entry but from a reversed perspective. It’s literally a one-woman show and a horror fable. It’s the second script by Richard Matheson after “Nick of Time” during season 2. The high point is the tense strings/piano/bells-filled score a la Hermann’s Psycho by Jerry Goldsmith that can be linked to his corpus on the horror anthology Thriller (1960-1962). The score was so good that it was tracked on The Fugitive to a greater effect. The alien spaceship is recycled from Forbidden Planet: see the season 1 “Third from the Sun” (also written by Richard Matheson) and “The Monsters are Due on Maple Street” and in both we witness again a civilisation contrast.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The complete soundtrack CD of The New Avengers is problematic
because of the master tapes. There used to be an incomplete music release
(The Music of Laurie Johnson Vol. 3 : The New Avengers) as part of a 3-CD set of Laurie Johnson's body of work.

Disc 1

Original Recording
1. The Midas Touch - complete episode score - 14 cues
2. To Catch A Rat - complete episode score - 23 cues
3. House Of Cards - complete episode score - 19 cues
4. The Last Of The Cybernauts...? - 1 cue

Re-Recording
5. Tale Of The Big Why
6. Obsession
7. Cat Amongst The Pigeons
8. A Flavour Of The New Avengers
9. The New Avengers - End Titles

View attachment 62148

Suite from “The Midas Touch”

1. Freddie Sees The Midas Guards
2. Main Title
3. Search Continues By Midas Guards
4. The Airport Chase
5. Professor Turner And Obsession With Gold
6. Turner Purdey And Gambit Give Chase
7. Walk Away
8. Red Mask Party Music *
9. Contamination
10. Freddy's Death Driving Over Cliff
11. Purdey At Pilton Down
12. Purdey, A Prisoner
13. Three To The Rescue
14. End Titles

*: groovy funky music heard during a masked ball party in a mansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWb0Koeb7s

midas_touch.png

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Silva Screen will release a UFO CD in September.
http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/38698/UFO-ORIGINAL-TV-SOUNDTRACK/

Tracklisting
1. UFO Main Titles
2. S.H.A.D.O.
3. E.S.P. from “E.S.P.”
4. Flashback from “Confetti Check A-O.K.”
5. The Choice from “Confetti Check A-O.K.”
6. Space Junk from “Conflict”
7. Straker and the General from “Conflict”
8. A Rose for Sylvia from “Ordeal”
9. Harlington Straker from “Identified”
10. Alien from “Identified”
11. Travelling Home from “Ordeal”
12. The Trip from "The Long Sleep"
13. Taken from "Ordeal"
14. Crash Landing / Dreambox from "Ordeal"
15. The Leisure Sphere from "Survival"
16. Enemy my Friend from "Survival"
17. The Affair from "The Square Triangle"
18. A Day at the Studio from "A Question of Priorities"
19. Who Are You? / John’s Death from "A Question of Priorities"
20. UFO End Titles
21. Bonus Track: Trampoline from “Ordeal” - The Spencer Davis Group

At last, the party cue from “Ordeal” gets a release.
At the clinic, Colonel Foster has a flash of memory from last night’s party and we hear the instrumental party cue.
Listen to the cue at 10:26.

It’s called "Trampoline" (1966) by The Spencer Davis Group.

View attachment 61319

Latest update
release date: 23 Oct. - Thu, 28 Nov.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE QUINN MARTIN COLLECTION – VOLUME 2: THE INVADERS – LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)

Limited Edition: 2000 Units
Release Date: October 17, 2019

DESCRIPTION
Music by Dominic Frontiere, Duane Tatro, Richard Markowitz, Irving Gertz, Sydney Cutner.

From Jon Burlingame:
"None of this would have been possible without The Film Music Society, which supplied all of the original INVADERS tapes it inherited from the Quinn Martin music library."

"Disc 1 is all Dominic Frontiere, drawn from his three original INVADERS scores. Disc 2 contains excerpts from the other 11 original scores done for the series (five of them by the underrated Duane Tatro)."

WARNING
Be prepared because there is a risk of sell-out!

invaders#17.jpg

Last edited:

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
THE QUINN MARTIN COLLECTION – VOLUME 2: THE INVADERS – LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)

DESCRIPTION
Music by Dominic Frontiere, Duane Tatro, Richard Markowitz, Irving Gertz, Sydney Cutner.

From Jon Burlingame:
"None of this would have been possible without The Film Music Society, which supplied all of the original INVADERS tapes it inherited from the Quinn Martin music library."

"Disc 1 is all Dominic Frontiere, drawn from his three original INVADERS scores. Disc 2 contains excerpts from the other 11 original scores done for the series (five of them by the underrated Duane Tatro)."

WARNING

View attachment 63746

Where is your source please for this information?? Is this a La La Land release?? I've Googled and not had any luck finding anything on this release.

EDIT: Yep, it's a LaLa Land release. Just found out via the FSM forums and it's on their Facebook page. I already have volume One so look forward to volume 2.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

DESCRIPTION

From Jon Burlingame:

WARNING

View attachment 63746

Countdown: minus 10 days before the landing of The Invaders at La La Land Records. Get ready!

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
With only 2000 copies this is going to be sold out within days I reckon. I live in the UK which means I have to stay up until midnight for new releases to go 'Live', on LLL website but I'll be there on the dot for this one.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
What’s the statusnof potential releases for Kolchak and The Munsters? I would have thought they’d be out by now

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
What’s the statusnof potential releases for Kolchak and The Munsters? I would have thought they’d be out by now

The Munsters? I didn't hear anything about the Munsters in the works, besides that rerelease that Real Gone Music is doing.

--James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
According to LLL sound engineer Mike Matessino, no more vintage television releases in 2019. Meaning, wait for 2020.

Sir, that can't be true. Black Friday is coming, and my hopes are huge for classic tv soundtracks being released.
James

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
To all vintage soundtracks aficionados,

La La Land and Universal plan to release some major television series music from 2019 and it will include:
The Munsters
The Six Million Dollar Man (1974-1978)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974-1975)

Get ready to support these releases when time come.
This post from a year ago is why I asked the question.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
We're lucky to get an Invaders release because the estate of Dominic Frontiere has no Invaders master tapes.

Let's wait and see for the 2020 LLL releases … I'm sure we will witness some good vintage television releases.

Fingers crossed for Kolchak and Steve Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks