1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage Television Soundtrack Corner

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Nov 25, 2018.

1. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Mine too!

stringbean likes this.
  2. stringbean

stringbean Stunt Coordinator

Snorbitz
    You'll get yours before I do. The anxiety starts now as my CD begins it's long and perilous journey across the US and the pond to good old Blighty.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    My INVADERS soundtrack has arrived. Lots of good stuff here, and even the liner notes are full of info that I was not aware of.

Currently, I've titled and ripped Disc One, and am in process of filling in titles for the second disc.

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    My INVADERS soundtrack CD arrived today, as well. It is a thing of beauty.

Flashgear and JohnHopper like this.
  5. Message #165 of 189 Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    You're lucky chaps! I am eager to get my Invaders CD at home.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. stringbean

Snorbitz
    Right, nobody else is allowed to talk about having already received their Invaders CD soundtrack and how wonderful the linear notes are e.t.c until I've got mine. :laugh:

Flashgear likes this.
  7. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Spoiler: it's full of music from THE INVADERS!

stringbean, Flashgear and JohnHopper like this.
  8. Message #168 of 189 Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Got mine and there's so much goodness here! Disc 2 is more enjoyable than I anticipated, as I really didn't notice the music not done by Frontiere. The liner notes are, as always, fabulous. Alan Armer’s quote, which I had read before, was so great, “what we’re going for is fear.” That first season is amazingly scary for a 60’s show which would have attracted a good number of kids. This is reflected in the Frontiere scores, where he really went for the dark creepiness. The first disc is almost oppressive, but it’s the perfect release for Halloween.

My favorite episode, outside of the chilling pilot, is “The Experiment.” VERY dark and scary episode. Roddy McDowell is brilliant and the score! Perfection. “Migraine” is my favorite cue and when aligned with Roddy’s performance and the camera’s dutch angles, it’s a memorable piece of television. You really felt for the man, being in a way responsible for his father’s murder and the guilt he felt. The aliens tho didn’t mind killing him since they blew up the plane that thought he and his father would be on. Which in itself is pretty damned shocking.

The scores became more adventuresome as the series went from scares of the first season to sci-fi action of the second. I prefer the first season, but it’s a great series all around.

Just, jeez, whoever put the composers on the database....really don't need the birth and death years of composers. C'mon...

stringbean and Flashgear like this.
  9. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    My set of The Invaders CD just landed at home.
    We will wait for discussing it until Stringbean got his copy.

stringbean likes this.
  10. stringbean

Snorbitz
    My copy has landed at London Heathrow and has just cleared customs. Might get it tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday at the latest. So looking forward to this.

11. stringbean

Snorbitz
    John,

Did you get your UFO CD safely?

12. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    Yes, I did but I had to ask back Amazon UK to get a second shipment because the employee provided fake informations concerning the first delivery. Hopefully, I can enjoy now this fine atmospheric music and the pop track "Trampoline" written by Steve Winwood.

13. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    For your information, I had an issue with the first CD of The Invaders because the track listing was not provided on the CD when I inserted it on iTunes so I had to wrote down each track. Let me know if you had this issue and I will copy and paste the track listing.
    Stay with us, Mr. Vincent!

stringbean likes this.
  14. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    The Goldsmith Odyssey

Episode 22 - Gunsmoke - Love Thy Neighbor & Old Faces (1961)

https://www.buzzsprout.com/159614/1958638

SHOW NOTES
    This episode marks the latest installment of a seemingly never-ending blood feud between the Goldsmith Odyssey family and the notorious Time clan (led by the eternally stubborn Father Time). Your humble hosts David, Yavar, and Clark have killed a whole lot of hours over the course of this podcast, and eagerly take out three more in the process of discussing two episodes of Gunsmoke: "Love Thy Neighbor" (featuring an alternately somber and suspenseful Goldsmith score) and "Old Faces" (in which Goldsmith offers a variety of colorful thematic ideas and makes compelling use of the banjo). Tune in!

Cues from “Love Thy Neighbor”:
    0:17:36 - 1. Quiet Night
    0:23:14 - 2. The Thief Pts. 1, 2 & 3 (blended)
    0:26:24 - 3. Sick Boy
    0:28:04 - 4. Mother's Care
    0:34:06 - 5.The Doctor
    0:35:49 - 6. Angry Man
    0:38:43 - 7. Gun Fight
    0:48:46 - 8. The Shameful Man
    0:53:11 - 9. The Killing
    0:58:32 - 10. The Gunfighters/Bad News (blended in our source, separate in the episode)
    1:06:28 - 11. The Last Killing
    1:09:02 - 12. The Confession

Cues from “Old Faces”:
    1:57:21 - 1. The Arrival
    2:00:26 - 2. The Gun-Man
    2:04:16 - 3. The Tormentors
    2:08:02 - 4. The Visitor
    2:10:01 - 5. The Truth
    2:12:12 - 6. Miss Kitty
    2:14:24 - 7. The Confession
    2:17:13 - 8. River Girl
    2:22:53 - 9. The Challenge
    2:27:56 - 10. Reunion

Other Sources:
    0:14:28 - Conan the Barbarian - Tree of Woe/Recovery (Poledouris)
    0:16:00 - Gunsmoke "Doc Judge" - The Killer
    0:16:24 - Gunsmoke "Doc Judge" - The Trip
    0:16:39 - Gunsmoke "The Blacksmith" - Delmonico's
    0:16:00 - Gunsmoke "The Wake" - The Street
    0:28:40 - Lonely Are the Brave - 3M53
    0:29:15 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Warp Point Nine (F. Steiner)
    0:33:40 - The Twilight Zone "Dust" - The Hanging
    0:37:11 - Patton - Main Title
    0:37:17 - Alien - Nothing to Say
    0:37:29 - Planet of the Apes - New Identity
    1:01:45 - Close Encounters - The Cover-Up (Williams)
    1:41:39 - The Day the Earth Stood Still - Gort/The Visor/The Telescope (Herrmann)
    1:46:34 - The Virginian Main Title (Faith)
    1:47:14 - The Virginian (Men from Shiloh) Main Title (Morricone)
    1:56:36 - The Waltons Main Title
    2:48:18 - CBS Library Music - The Village (F. Steiner)
    2:50:45 - Star Trek: The Motion Picture - System Inoperative (F. Steiner)

The Work:
    Gunsmoke: Season 6, Volume 2 (DVD)

Ron Burbella supplied us with his CBS EZ CUE disc and index (discussed in this Film Score Monthly thread) and with his reel-to-reel tape transfers. Bill Wrobel documented the mass of CBS Music Library stuff donated to UCLA, giving us a little more info on the tracks we’ve acquired.

Thanks to "Dan Hollis” for assistance with CBS cue sheets and timestamps via the thread at Twilight Zone Cafe -> Twilight Zone, Etc. -> Classic Twilight Zone -> Musical Cues.

Please send your correspondence to [email protected].

15. stringbean

Snorbitz
    A package arrived today. Can you guess what it is? All the way from Burbank, California to the UK.

Invaders 1.JPG

16. stringbean

Snorbitz
    The Aliens Have Landed!

Invaders 2.JPG

17. stringbean

Snorbitz
    Oh no, I now have the laborius task of having to physically type in each and every track for both discs 1 and 2 for ripping purposes.
    I use dBpoweramp CD ripper to rip my music in uncompressed FLAC and there is no database that dBpoweramp can find to retrieve all the metadata. This normally happens with brand new releases.

18. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

Find the list I had to type and good luck:

The Mutation - Main Title Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Tymp / Jeep / Mi Bueno Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - The Space Ship Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Narrator / When I'm Finished Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Light Up an Alien / Bumper Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Act II / Couple of Hours Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - The Communicator / Oh!Oh! Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Fire / Luv / Alien Radar Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Inner Turmoil / The Space Ship II Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - The Escape Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Trust Me / Back to the Races / Life Means Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Pussy Foot / Whapp Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Immolation / When We Die Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Act III / Lost in Desert Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Live? Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Act IV / Right Away Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - We'll Be Needed / Rage Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - AB & Late / When It's Too Late Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - End Title (Original) Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Mutation - Stripper Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - International Airport / Follow Me / Exploded Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Bus / I'm Scared / Trapped Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - I Don't Know / Problems Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Landlady / Aliens Grab Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Dead Prof / Mortuary / Oops! Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Migraine / Play Time, Baby Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - New York Skyline / Scusa / Blow the Lid Off Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Answer Me / Forgive Us Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Health Center / Ordeal Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Struggle / Shall We? Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Hot Oven / Holy Caste Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - Get Out / Stop Them Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Experiment - The Go Go A Go Go (Ralke) Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Alien Panel / Alien Chase Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - David Vincent / Quiet Tension Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Trust Me Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Kidnapped / Engine Out Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Eve / Van Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Mumbling / Arrive at Mine Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Ten Minutes / No Remorse / Pain Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Sneaks Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Careful / Alien Falls Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Tom Twirls / Collapse Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - Fade In / Common Knowledge Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]
    The Leeches - End Title Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 1]

The Saucer - Night Rendezvous / Plane Crash Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Saucer - Oversight Observation / Landing Site Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Saucer - Saucer Interior / Alien Artifact Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Saucer - Car Crash / Captured Annie / Incinerated Car Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Saucer - Fight, Action, Fight / Saucer Departs Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Saucer - Reformed Annie Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Enemy - Prologue Irving Gertz The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Enemy - Gail's Feeling / Blake's Recovery Irving Gertz The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Enemy - Drop Me In Town Irving Gertz The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Enemy - Broodin' Mood (Willard Jones) Irving Gertz The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Quantity: Unknown - Graveside Narration / Valuable Cylinder Richard Markowitz The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Quantity: Unknown - Laser Beam / Lab Fire Richard Markowitz The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Condemned - Prologue I, II Sidney Cutner The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Condemned - Prologue III, IV Sidney Cutner The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Valley Of The Shadow - Carterville, USA / Electronic Zap Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Valley Of The Shadow - Quiet Grief / Earthquake Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Valley Of The Shadow - Purple Gas / Town Replay Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Valley Of The Shadow - Cool Fool (Don Ralke) Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Watchers - Maggie & Paul Sidney Cutner The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Watchers - Power Station Sidney Cutner The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Spores - David Arrives / Vincent Vs. Jessup Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Spores - Disgusting Seeds / Exit Lt. Mattson Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Spores - The Plantin' Of 'Em / Hot House Fire Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Condition: Red - No Avail / Fight Sidney Cutner The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Prophet - Alien Sermon Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Prophet - Brother John's Trap / Brother John Loses Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Prophet - Sister Clair's Story / Sobbing Sister Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Prophet - Smiles And Chatter Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Prophet - Sunset Strip Watusi (Don Ralke) Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Captive - Two Police Officers / Recriminations Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    The Captive - Back To The Drawing Board Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Counter-Attack - Mortally Offended / They Need Regeneration Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Counter-Attack - David's Girl Duane Tatro The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]
    Beachhead - Main Title, Pilot Dominic Frontiere The Quinn Martin Collection Volume 2 [Disc 2]

Jeff Flugel and stringbean like this.
  19. stringbean

Snorbitz
    wow,..thanks a lot John for that list. Much appreciated.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    For Stringbean and all people who ordered their Invaders set, read this:

According to the liner notes of the QM set, volume 2, music supervisor John Elizalde tracked cues from The Outer Limits
    and an unsold pilot entitled Fanfare for a Death Scene (1964) for the pilot of The Invaders entitled “Beachhead”.
    The cues from Fanfare for a Death Scene are used for David Vincent’s introduction to the landing site of the UFO
    while passing by Bud's Diner and, later on, while passing by Kelly's Diner and meeting the camper couple at night.

Find a clip and the evidence from Fanfare for a Death Scene (the pilot for the series Stryker)

Jeff Flugel and stringbean like this.