"The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season 2" -- A Personal Review

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by David Von Pein, Jul 28, 2005.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG] ***** FIVE STARS OUT OF FIVE ***** [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This 3-Disc DVD set of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Second Season" was released by Fox Home Entertainment on July 26, 2005 -- 1,036 days (nearly three years) after the first-season boxed set came out in late September 2002. But it was worth the wait, in my opinion, because the shows look excellent on these DVDs. The first-season MTM set exhibits nearly-perfect video quality, and this follow-up second-season set looks every bit as good as that first aggregation. Rich in color and detail, the DVD picture quality of these 1971-1972 programs belies their age. The transfer of these film prints to Digital Disc was done just right.

Episode numbers 25 through 48 of The MTM Show are presented in this 24-episode, three-disc collection, which comes housed in three "Slim" style plastic cases, placed inside an outer cardboard slipcase box. No booklet is included (except for a multi-page enclosure advertising other Fox TV DVDs).

Episode information is outlined on the back side of each of the three "ThinPak" cases, including original CBS-TV air dates and director credits for each episode.

The second season of Mary's series is highlighted by these episodes, which are among my favorites: "Some Of My Best Friends Are Rhoda", "Feeb", "The Square-Shaped Room", "Thoroughly Unmilitant Mary", "The Slaughter Affair", and "Where There's Smoke, There's Rhoda".

Two of the three discs in this collection are single-sided platters (with disc art); while Disc #3 is a dual-sided disc (which means no label on that one), with the bonus material being located on Side B of Disc 3.

Here's a detailed look at the Special Features that are contained within this MTM-2 boxed set.............

>> Audio Commentary Tracks on three episodes, one per disc (featuring cast and crew members, including series' co-stars Ed Asner and Gavin MacLeod). The episodes with a Commentary attached are: "The Birds...And...Um...Bees", "The Six-And-A-Half-Year Itch", and "The Slaughter Affair".

>> "Eight Characters In Search Of A Sitcom". .... This is a 57-minute retrospective documentary all about the MTM Show (no surprise there, eh? [​IMG]). Plenty of cast and crew interviews were filmed in 2002 for this lengthy documentary program, including chats with the writers, producers, plus actors Ed Asner, Gavin MacLeod, Valerie Harper, Betty White, Cloris Leachman, and Georgia Engel. About the only star missing is, unfortunately, the main star herself, Mary, who doesn't participate in any on-camera interviews here. Ted Knight ("Ted Baxter"), sadly, passed away in August 1986, at age 62.

This is very similar in style to the Season-One DVD documentary. In fact, I'm nearly certain this was filmed at the exact same time as that first-season program. Lots of video clips from the various seasons of the MTM show are sprinkled throughout this feature. Good stuff, although it would have been nice if some behind-the-camera stuff and some outtakes could have been included (but they weren't).

This "Eight Characters" bonus is broken into nine chapters, that can each be accessed from a separate Chapter Menu. There's a "Play All" option, too, for uninterrupted playing of the whole documentary.

There's a separate "Chapter" for each of the "8 Characters" who are "in search of a sitcom" -- Mary, Lou, Rhoda, Ted, Phyllis, Murray, Georgette, and Sue Ann. The ninth chapter is labelled "All Together Now".

>> "Moore On Sunday". .... This bonus is quite interesting. It's from a local Minneapolis TV news broadcast (called "Moore On Sunday", which was hosted by Dave Moore of WCCO-TV; no relation at all to Mary Tyler Moore, however).*

* = And I want to thank Minnesota's own (and HTF's own) "Casey C." for providing this information about "WCCO" and Mr. Moore and his Sunday program, via Casey's informative post (and picture) re. the matter in an earlier HTF post on another MTM-2 thread. Much obliged. [​IMG]

More on "Moore On Sunday"........

In this 21-minute behind-the-scenes documentary (which originally aired on Minneapolis-St. Paul television in late September of 1973), we follow the MTM film crew as they prepare for and film the new Main Title opening credits for the fourth season of the series in May 1973. (Of course, this really has nothing whatsoever to do with "Season Two" specifically -- but, IMO, who cares?! It's still great old, vintage stuff. The narration throughout this nearly half-hour piece is first-rate too; narrated by Dave Moore himself.)

A portion of this featurette had me laughing aloud, when Mr. Moore gets in a really nice "dig" (via irony) at the lady who owned the "119 N. Weatherly" apartment building that was used in the exterior shots of Mary Richards' TV home. This woman refused to allow the house to be re-filmed for the S.4 opening, and decided to hang "Impeach Nixon" banners all over the front of her house to dissuade the MTM filming crew. Mr. Moore's following comment is a nifty piece of commentary. (I won't give it away here; anyway, I thought it was pretty clever.) [​IMG]

The "Moore On Sunday" piece contains many scenes of Mary Tyler Moore and co-star Valerie Harper going through the paces of filming the show's new opening. Picture quality shows its age here; but this is a really cool hunk of very rarely-seen video; a super-nice inclusion to this boxed set, IMO. Some interesting trivia is revealed in this segment too (I hadn't known it heretofore anyway) -- The man sitting with Mary in the open-air, balcony-style restaurant during the opening credits is Mary's then-husband Grant Tinker.

>> Two 1972 Emmy Awards video clips. .... Ed Asner and Valerie Harper accept their well-deserved Emmy Awards in these video clips from the 1972 Emmy TV broadcast. Valerie actually tied with "All In The Family's" Sally Struthers, who we also get to see make her acceptance speech via this footage. The picture quality on these clips isn't too great; but this footage is still wonderful to see, because we get to see these actors step out of character for a moment, circa 1972.

Oddly, this Emmy bonus includes a "Play All" option for just this 2-item supplement; but they didn't put a "Play All" feature for any of the episodes on these discs. Kind of odd. Total run time for both Emmy clips = approx. 5.5 minutes.

>> "Newsbeat Segment DM-1509". .... This is a rather strange little bonus feature. It's an 11-minute comedy spot (or it's intended to be "comedy" at any rate); copyright date of 2002. It consists of a "fake" newscast of some kind, called "Newsbeat: In Search Of Mary Richards", which has a woman acting kind of crazy and off-the-wall as she "reports" from various Minneapolis landmarks known to be inhabitated in previous years by "Mary Richards" of The MTM Show.

Footnote: There IS one hysterical moment in this thing -- when, in remembrance of "Chuckles The Clown" (who, as we all know, was crushed to death by a rogue elephant during the 6th season of the MTM series), the "reporter" asks a man on the street "What were you doing October 25, 1975?" (the night of the "Chuckles Bites The Dust" classic TV broadcast). The man paused for a moment, and then responded: "In the penitentiary". THAT had me LOL for a minute indeed. [​IMG]

This "Newsbeat" bonus is partially redeemed by what is, IMO, a very clever ending sequence, which features "Newsbeat Reporter Nancy Sykes" (played, btw, by Kate Asner, daughter of Ed Asner) placing herself in Mary Richards' shoes during an excellent "re-creation" of the MTM opening credits (while "Fonda's" jazzed-up, and quite good, version of "Love Is All Around" plays beneath the video). A very cute ending to an otherwise really odd and mostly-unfunny supplement.

>> "Mad Magazine" Parody: "The Mary Tailor-Made Show". .... This is a really funny text-only bonus feature that displays pages of an MTM Show parody from issue No. 155 of "Mad Magazine" (circa December 1972). Those "Mad" guys really let Mary have it too, in this scathing laugh-filled spoof that pokes fun at everything from Mary's clothes, to Lou's grumpiness, to Ted's ignorance, to Rhoda's Jewishness, to the lousy news-reporting performed at TV station WJM. The names of the characters were changed ("to protect the innocent", perhaps?; hehe) -- with Lou Grant becoming "Mr. Grunt" for the purposes of this "Mad" piece. While Ted is re-named "Klod", Phyllis is "Chillus", Murray is known here as "Blurry", and Rhoda's name is mangled into "Rodent Droopstern". [​IMG]

My favorite line from this comic-book-like parody is when Mary proclaims: "Let me change into another Christian Dior original! I want to be among the world's ten best-dressed $92-a-week office flunkies!" (ROFL!) [​IMG]

These "Mad" text screens must be advanced by the user via the remote control. Thankfully, it's an at-your-own-pace type of text-based DVD feature, without an automatic "timed" track. God help those people trying to read these text pages on a small TV screen, though. That might be kinda tough on the ol' eyeballs. [​IMG]

>> Photo Gallery. .... Like the Season-One MTM "Gallery", this second-season batch of photos is a bit of a disappointment to this writer. There are no pictures at all from the actual Season-Two MTM set or of the cast or crew from the year this season was made. Instead, we get several "Script Pages" from Ed Asner's private collection (the covers for the scripts even show the word "Ed" in the corner); plus a few random shots of the cast and crew members preparing to do their Audio Commentary Tracks for this DVD collection. Like the "Mad Magazine" bonus, this Gallery is not on a "timed" screen-advancing track either; DVD remote keystrokes control the advancement of the Photo pages.

>> "Love Is All Around" Theme Song Karaoke. .... This consists of two different versions of the MTM Show Opening Titles, with captions on screen.

>> All-Star Trivia Challenge. .... Cloris Leachman ("Phyllis") introduces this "trivia" bonus; and then members of the cast and crew ask some MTM trivia questions. Then you've got to pick the correct answer among four choices on screen. After selecting an answer, a video clip from the show will provide the correct response to that question. Your "final score" is announced at the end of the quiz.

Pre-release info for this set showed an "Easter Egg" for "Fake Credits" -- but I believe this to be NOT an "Egg", per se, but, instead, that's referring (I think) to the end of the "Newsbeat" bonus supplement, when Kate Asner puts herself into the "Fake Credits". And, as I said before, that's a nicely-done piece too. It mimics very well the actual MTM Main Title Minneapolis locales and mimics MTM's actions during the credits to a near tee.

Anyway, I pressed the remote keys until I was blue in the face searching for any hidden goodies; but nothing surfaced; so I doubt there actually are any.

-----------------------

Here's some additional info for this 3-Disc MTM-2 Set................

>> VIDEO -- Full Frame 1.33:1 Aspect Ratio (the original TV ratio).

>> AUDIO -- Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono soundtracks are included in English and Spanish. (The packaging, however, incorrectly lists the audio as "1.0" Mono. But both the English and Spanish tracks are in 2-Channel Mono here, just like S.1. The three Audio Commentaries are also in DD2.0 as well. On-The-Fly audio switching is permitted, which always gets a [​IMG] from this writer. ... Unlike the first-season set, though, there's no French Language tracks this time 'round.)

>> SUBTITLES -- English and Spanish.

>> "PLAY ALL EPISODES" OPTION INCLUDED? -- No. (Unfortunately.) [​IMG]

>> MENUS -- Non-animated; Silent (no music); Separate Episode Sub-Menus for each program. The Menus and Language Set-Up are exactly like the S.1 MTM set, including the slightly-annoying (but not overly so) mini "delay" after choosing anything from any of the Menu screens. There's that built-in "pause" that takes just an extra 'beat' to get to the next Menu choice. But the Menu design is very classy, IMO, with everything laid out in the unique "MTM-type Font/Lettering". Nice touch, to keep it all in the "MTM Spirit". [​IMG]

>> CHAPTER BREAKS? -- Yes. 10 Chapter Stops per show.

-----------------------

Season Two is another great year of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show". And getting to finally see these 24 episodes via these well-polished DVDs makes Mary's sophomore campaign look even better than when the shows first aired on network television in 1971 and 1972. And with all of the Season-Two episodes combined with plentiful and really fun-to-watch bonus supplements, this 3-Disc DVD set from Fox Home Entertainment is a special treat for any fan of "Miss Richards" (aka: Mary Tyler Moore). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    So we'll see you in three years for a review of the season 3 set? [​IMG]

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

Here's an awful thought: Maybe it works exponentially. If there were 3 years after S1, perhaps it will be 6 years after S2 before we get S3, 9 years after S3, and so on. I REALLY need to take better care of myself if I want to see S7.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Shhhh...don't give them any ideas.

You know, David's review of this set actually brings a round of satisfaction to me. When I think of how many times on HTF I argued for why I was continuing to hold out hope for season 2, in the face of posts saying that it was dead, and those of us still hoping were living in a dream world, it is gratifying for me personally to know that I was right, as were a few others, to not give up hope on getting this second season. Hopefully I won't have to wait as long, and reargue the same points for season 3, but time will give us the answer to that one.

Thanks for the review David, you spent almost 3 years waiting just like I did, and so for you and any fans of this show that have picked this up there must surely be a lot of satisfaction...and its good that it is still a quality set.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    David, you are the "Robert Harris" of the TV forum [​IMG]

Your observations are very much appreciated and quite interesting. Thanks and I look forward to watching these DVDs soon.

Steve

6. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    Thanks for the great review, David! It was much appreciated. I am looking forward to picking up my set.

Andy

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Sounds like a great set. And I must say, it is much more reasonably priced (here) than S1 originally was, and that can't hurt sales and the probability of more season sets.

I am not a huge MTM fan, but always liked the show a bit. However, the S1 discs were IMO so well done (ah, the days of recording TV on film!), and the content was good enough that I'm becoming one. I also realised that I had never seen any of the episodes of S1 before, and probably not S2 either (was living in England in those days), so a very nice surprise for me and looking forward to viewing S2.

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

the thing is, the work was done (and i presume, paid for) for this second set. the eps were all remasterd, the bonus material was compiled.
    it was basically already produced...but they never went thru with replication and distribution.

season 3 is a whole new ballgame. if it does come, i don't expect the eps to look as brilliant as they do here, nor i would i expect any bonus material.
    i can live without the latter, but would be a bit disappointed if the video quality of further seasons is a big step down.
    ultimately, i could live with that as well at a mid $20 retail price point.

probably won't know until later in 2006 whether this release has changed anything or not.

oh yeah- great run down David. the vintage material gets me really excited to pick this up.
    i may have to get it earlier than i expected now.

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks, HTFers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I agree with all of the above. (Although I think the PQ might still be very good on future sets; knock wood. But the bonuses will probably be much less to non-existent.) [​IMG]

And, if current on-line MTM-2 sales are any indication at all -- then perhaps Season 3 won't be three years off (after all). As of this moment, MTM-2 ranks #16 among all DVDs @ Amazon; and #129 @ DVD-Empire, which is not bad at all.

Re. the Bonus Features on any future MTM sets -- Given that S.1 and S.2 have included an abundance of extra items, I'm just wondering how much "More Moore" [​IMG] we would get anyhow in terms of bonus material? (Except, perhaps, some outtake/blooper reels, if they exist, and some more CBS promos.)

Anyway, since the S.2 set had a bonus that REALLY belongs on a S.4 set (the "Moore On Sunday" piece, that is, which was all about the FOURTH-Season opening titles), that's one nice bonus that we won't need included on any forthcoming S.4 DVD set anyhow, since it's already here, on S.2. [​IMG]

EDIT -- BTW, in my review above, I've added in a few more comments re. the "Moore On Sunday" spot that popped into my head. That bonus is definitely worth multiple viewings, IMO. And Mary looks sensational, too! (Even WITH the somewhat subpar PQ of that material. [​IMG])

10. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I like it when they dig up stuff that is all but forgotten for bonus features. That "Moore on Sunday" piece sounds excellent. The Twilight Zone season sets have a lot of stuff that some people had to think would never see the light of day again as well. More studios need to dig this kind of stuff up for their releases!

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

It would be nice if "Mary Tyler Moore Season 3" could be added to this Amazon compilation of Movies & TV Shows that are on that site for "E-Mail Me When Available" purposes. They've had such "Not Yet On DVD" Sign-Up pages for years; but I don't recall ever seeing all of them placed on one single "check-box" webpage before; perhaps this is new.

But there's a criminal act being committed here by shunning one of the greatest TV programs ever, "The Fugitive" (1963-1967), which is nowhere to be found here. Shameful. [​IMG]

But that, I guess, is not Amazon's fault altogether; because this webpage says "Most Requested DVDs"; which would indicate there's just not enough people "requesting" The Fugitive I suppose. Although, I'm not sure HOW you'd go about "requesting" a title unless you've got a PLACE to "request" it via one of these Sign-Up type pages. How, therefore, do they decide in the first place what titles to put onto a Pre-Release Notification Webpage? It's one of life's little 'mysteries'. (Could be they get swamped with e-mails requesting a certain title, and then take it from there. Beats me.) [​IMG] ........

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...881119-3760819

12. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    I have a prediction: we will be seeing Season 3 in or about January 2006. I have a very funny feeling that they will be on a six-month schedule from now on. Can't back this up, of course, but time will tell how accurate my hunch will prove to be.

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

BTW / FYI ..........

The "8 Characters" bonus feature on MTM-2 actually has its own webpage at IMDB.com, and is listed amongst Edward Asner's career credits.

Even "Newsbeat Segment DM-1509" has its own IMDB page, which seems mighty surprising, since it's such a short piece. Although, interestingly, IMDB lists its running time as "22 minutes", which is double the eleven-minute bonus on the MTM DVD. Thank goodness, though -- because having to sit through another 11 minutes of that lameness might have been too much on the ol' nerves. [​IMG] (Wonder what the "DM-1509" means? Some kind of hidden code/message in there or something?) .......

http://imdb.com/title/tt0337997/

http://imdb.com/title/tt0353797/

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

MTM / 1970s Observation (feel free to mock me at any time during the following two minutes)........

Just noted while watching some more of these excellent early-70s MTM-2 outings --- Not only is the overall material that make up a show like "TMTMS" a cut above the 21st-Century fare (IMO) -- but even the telephones being utilized by Mary & Company strike me as "better" in some way. (Same goes with the Dick Van Dyke series a decade earlier.)

Those phones have substance! They're colorful! They have a good strong BASE to hold the receiver....and they have cords! And even the "ring" sounds better than my phone. I HATE to hear my phone ring! Hate it I tell you! It makes me jump through the ceiling even on "soft" ringer! I hate it! I want Mary's home phone! (And I wouldn't mind having her home NUMBER, to boot.)

15. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

With the short time period between The Bob Newhart Show's first and second seasons, I bet we'll see a similar time difference between MTM season sets for the second and third seasons.

16. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Hey David, I can relate, I used to have a phone that could shatter an eardrum when it rang. Oh how I hated to hear it ring so much so that I would turn the ringer off and let the machine answer every call.

17. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Dave Moore was a local legend in Minnesota; sadly, now deceased. He hosted a late night spoof show in the 60's (and maybe part of the 70's also) called "The Bedtime Nooz". The "z" in Nooz was backward. Everyone who saw this show consider it a classic of its type - except my parents - they just never understood.

18. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 1st season the day it came out and loved it. I bought the 2nd season when it came out and loved it too. Okay, I wish the packaging for all seasons could be the same, but I buy them for the shows...my god, these shows are good. Is there a sitcom on the air now that comes close to this quality week after week? I didn't think so.

Just as with the 1st season, these episodes look amazing. I've already spent hours with this set and am sure I'll spend many more in the future.

One thing that struck me as odd though was that in the 1st set, I remembered every episode. Not line for line, of course, but a general memory of "the tax-guy" or "Rhoda's mother" or "the obsessed ex" or something. None of the episodes on the 2nd season did that. None of them. I really couldn't figure out why this was until I read the (great) review above. Fall of 1971 was my freshman year of college. Girls! Beer! Occasional studying! I probably didn't see any of these before, and if I did, I probably had other things on/fogging my mind. So I got a whole NEW season of Mary Tyler Moore. I can think of almost nothing I'd prefer.

Many thanks to Fox for taking a chance on this set after the first, well, tanked. Hopefully this new packaging & price point will be a big success. I'd love to see the next one in 3 months rather than 3 years.

Hey, that year I was in love with a girl (now my ex-wife) who went to a different school, so maybe I missed at least a few weekends that season too.

Please, Fox, Please!

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Minneapolis' own Randy A. Salas (Staff writer for the Star-Tribune in Mary Richards' home city) was kind enough to e-mail me a copy of an article of his that appeared in the July 26, 2005, edition of the Star-Tribune, all about the MTM-2 DVD set.

In the article, Fox's Peter Staddon says that DVD sales of the new MTM set (plus the just-lowered re-pricing of the MTM-1 collection as well) will be "closely monitored" before Fox execs make any decision on whether to proceed with seasons 3 through 7. (No real surprise there, I suppose.)

But then we get a direct quote from Mr. Staddon.......

"We want to bring them to market. It's just a matter of finding the best way to do it." -- P. Staddon

My thanks to Randy Salas for the info. [​IMG]

BTW -- If current Amazon.com MTM sales are any indication, then the future of MTM on DVD looks fairly bright -- Season 2 right now ranks #36 @ Amazon; with Season 1 (which has been reduced in take-home price to only $22) rests at #128 in DVD sales. Not too shabby. So somebody out there is snappin' up the Mary DVD sets. Nice to see, too. [​IMG]