What's new

Vintage Television Soundtrack Corner (1 Viewer)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I got the WILD WILD WEST soundtrack today for Christmas. Man the first disc, particularly the opening title, sounds terrific. I've never heard it sound this good. I'm so grateful to have this set. I have wanted this music for so many years.

Merry Christmas!

I concur. It's a masterpiece set all the way.
Don't miss the excellent “The Night of the Firebrand” by Richard Shores.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I concur. It's a masterpiece set all the way.
Don't miss the excellent “The Night of the Firebrand” by Richard Shores.

An excellent example of why that Wild Wild West soundtrack is well worth the money-- Alan got a present that's right on the money with the high quality of television music then!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I also got the LAND OF THE GIANTS set, but I already had the previous smaller release, so it's not quite as spectacular, but still very nice to have. I'm waiting for (hopefully) a sale on the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE set and I'll get that one. But just having WWW is a dream come true.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This discussion made me think about the terrific incidental music from The Brady Bunch. I noticed that other CBS properties are being released. It seems that these are all or mostly drama type shows. I would think that this would be a popular item and probably would sell well. I wonder what the chances of The Brady Bunch soundtrack ever seeing the light of day? I would buy it!

I agree about The Brady Bunch. The music in the first season was more Broadway sounding than in later seasons, when it switched to a 70s soft pop sound. And there were at least four versions of the theme song.

I also think it would be fun to have a Screen Gems set, comprised of the iconic score cues from Bewitched, Jeannie, Flying Nun, Hazel, Gidget, Partridge Family (score cues not songs). (Speaking of The Partridge Family, there were quite a few songs sung in the TV show than ever appeared on any albums. That would be interesting to have, too.)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
For fans of horror television music.

Episode 17 - Thriller - The Poisoner (1961)

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/944720-episode-17-thriller-the-poisoner-1961

The Goldsmith Odyssey will be spending quite a bit of time with the classic anthology TV show Thriller in 2019, and we’ve got the perfect special guest to kick off our examination of the series: Leigh Phillips, an award-winning composer, orchestrator, and conductor best-known for reconstructing classic film scores like Exodus, The Salamander, King of Kings, and many more. Phillips is also responsible for two wonderful volumes featuring new recordings of Goldsmith’s Thriller music, including selections from the episode we’re spotlighting this time around: “The Poisoner.” Inspired by a true story about an infamous English murderer, the tale gives Goldsmith an opportunity to serve up a rich, harpsichord-driven gothic horror score built around a deceptively attractive main theme. In addition to examining the episode and its score, we chat with Leigh about his relationship with Goldsmith’s music and his career in general.​

Music in this Episode
0:02 - "Even the Cat?"
6:50 - "The Final Conflict" from Omen III: The Final Conflict (Reconstruction)
10:18 - "The Fight for Peace" from Exodus (Ernest Gold, Reconstruction)
16:16 - "The Dress Waltz" from Legend
21:09 - "The Car Chase" from The Salamander (Reconstruction)
27:22 - "End Titles" from Thriller: "The Grim Reaper"
51:39 - "Prologue" (Reconstruction)
56:02 - "To the Past" (Reconstruction)
59:20 - "The Cast" (also the "End Titles") (Reconstruction)
1:02:14 - "My Perfect Bride"
1:04:18 - "Preparing the Ring"
1:08:58 - "Good Riddance" (Reconstruction)
1:11:34 - "Roxy Loses" from Basic Instinct
1:13:14 - "Business to Discuss" (Reconstruction)
1:15:06 - "Kaeti Has a Plan" from The Blue Max (Reconstruction)
1:18:12 - "George Chokes"
1:19:21 - "Doctor's Orders"
1:24:03 - "Take Your Medicine"
1:29:06 - "Even the Cat?"
1:31:04 - "Off to Jail"
1:34:40 - "Griffith Released"
1:48:12 - "Unbearable Agony Infinitely Prolonged"
1:52:48 - "A Poetic Death"
1:55:39 - "Perfect Wife" (Reconstruction)

In Depth
Jerry Goldsmith interviewed by Jon Burlingame for the Archive of American Television Part 3 of 4 (May 8th, 2002)

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE BARON: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (CD)

£13.43

Release Date: 24 May 2019
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Network

Product Description
Previously unreleased on CD and compiled from the original analogue master tapes, this release comprises the theme and existing incidental scores for The Baron containing around 70 pieces of music which were especially composed for the series. Edwin Astley's dynamic score captures the international adventures experienced by John Mannering alias the Baron an antiques dealer whose global exploits lead him headlong into theft, revenge and murder! Includes liner notes by archive television historian Andrew Pixley.

Track Listing
1-29 Diplomatic Immunity
30-43 Portrait of Louisa
44-69 Portrait of Louisa session library cues
70 The High Terrace
71-74 Alternate Takes
75 End Titles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PXRG...olid=1FXCPDWFWYGRP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

baron.jpg

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't understand why Jerry Goldsmith seems embarrassed about having composed the theme to Barnaby Jones. I've always liked that theme.

I guess if you put it that way, then maybe VEI's all-in-one might be worth the money, despite all the flaws!

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I guess if you put it that way, then maybe VEI's all-in-one might be worth the money, despite all the flaws!

Despite my love for the series, I just can't stomach the idea of buying edited episodes. I'll just have to make do with CBS' (unedited) release of season one.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't understand why Jerry Goldsmith seems embarrassed about having composed the theme to Barnaby Jones. I've always liked that theme.

Jerry Goldsmith was one of the most brilliant and accomplished film composers in history. He provided amazing music for some of Hollywood's most horrible films. In fact, the awful films he scored far outweigh the good. Why was he embarrassed about Barnaby Jones? It's far from the crummiest project he was attached to.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Jerry Goldsmith was one of the most brilliant and accomplished film composers in history. He provided amazing music for some of Hollywood's most horrible films. In fact, the awful films he scored far outweigh the good. Why was he embarrassed about Barnaby Jones? It's far from the crummiest project he was attached to.
Where's the source on this? Another one I heard is the reason there's no official complete release of SUGARLAND EXPRESS is because Williams is embarrassed by it.

Again, if there's a source, I'd like to see it.

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

Right? As I've heard film and TV scores over the years, it has become easy to identify some composers. Sudden snare-drum-and-trumpet sting? Hey, that's Nelson Riddle's number 7 Beef & Cheese. Endlessly repetitive violins? Bernard Herrmann, without a doubt.

But Jerry Goldsmith is so good, that he doesn't have an identifiable style. (Not to my ears, anyway.) He shifts from one style to another, depending upon the project. Sad that he is not with us anymore.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Right? As I've heard film and TV scores over the years, it has become easy to identify some composers. Sudden snare-drum-and-trumpet sting? Hey, that's Nelson Riddle's number 7 Beef & Cheese. Endlessly repetitive violins? Bernard Herrmann, without a doubt.

But Jerry Goldsmith is so good, that he doesn't have an identifiable style. (Not to my ears, anyway.) He shifts from one style to another, depending upon the project. Sad that he is not with us anymore.

The Sudden snare-drum and trumpet sting isn't that Batman villain The Riddler's theme? Bernard and his strings will always be easily recognizable because of a certain shower scene.

Jerry's Stark Trek scores are quite identifiable I would say especially to Trekies and some film composer enthusiasts as well.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Oh, Jerry had a very identifiable style...it was just not "the same thing every score." Unlike Leonard Rosenmann, for example, he grew and experimented. He was a true genius.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Oh, Jerry had a very identifiable style...it was just not "the same thing every score." Unlike Leonard Rosenmann, for example, he grew and experimented. He was a true genius.

Keep in mind that Goldsmith started from the mid-50's as an obscure composer for live tv so his style tended to change to fit in the specific decade and moreover he has different sides to different genres:
his gloomy New Vienna School leaning
his jazzistic tropism
his melancholic/intimistic touch
his martial orientation
his light 60's mod style
his western style
to name but a few.
When he first worked in the 50's, he was under the influence of Newman and Herrmann.
You have to wait for the 60's to see his signature blossomed.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
He's one of the few composers whose work I love in any era. His earliest film work (City of Fear, The Spiral Road, Studs Lonigan - Johnny Williams on piano) are exceptionally strong. Then his 60's TV scores were very inventive: Thriller, The Man from Uncle, Jericho, his brief work on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, to name a few.

He exploded in the 70's thanks to The Omen, Alien and Star Trek. After that, he was the action composer of choice. Any film, no matter how low budget, seemed to make room for him. Sadly, he kept getting jobs in the shadow of John Williams, who was getting high profile films while Jerry was getting the knock-offs: Supergirl, King Solomon's Mines, Leviathan, U.S. Marshals, etc,. However, when he got films like the Rambo franchise and Total Recall...good lord! Air Force One is also one of my favorite of his latter scores, with even Joel McNeely assisting seamlessly. The River Wild is also exceptional.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
THE BARON: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (CD)

£13.43

Release Date: 24 May 2019
Number of Discs: 1
Label: Network

Product Description
Previously unreleased on CD and compiled from the original analogue master tapes, this release comprises the theme and existing incidental scores for The Baron containing around 70 pieces of music which were especially composed for the series. Edwin Astley's dynamic score captures the international adventures experienced by John Mannering alias the Baron an antiques dealer whose global exploits lead him headlong into theft, revenge and murder! Includes liner notes by archive television historian Andrew Pixley.

Track Listing
1-29 Diplomatic Immunity
30-43 Portrait of Louisa
44-69 Portrait of Louisa session library cues
70 The High Terrace
71-74 Alternate Takes
75 End Titles

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PXRG...olid=1FXCPDWFWYGRP&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

View attachment 57622

Baron (The): Original Soundtrack
£8.33

PRE-ORDER DEAL: 20% OFF £12.50 NETWORKONAIR PRICE IF ORDERED BEFORE RELEASE DATE OF 20 MAY 2019.
LIMITED EDITION DIGIPAK PACKAGING - WHILE STOCKS LAST!!!

https://networkonair.com/exclusives/2856-baron-the-original-soundtrack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks