What's new

Veneer..where to find? (1 Viewer)

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
There isn't much for sale in these parts. I've looked on ebay but most of that is in small lots.

I'm more or less looking for something for larger subs..

I think it was Brian who mentioned he wraps his veneer around his boxes. I like that idea but would need a bit larger sizes that what I can find.

Any favorite sites for you woodworkers out there?

I have to agree with Patrick, Tape-Ease is a great place to get veneer. Their NBL is the best for rounded corners. They are great with answering both emails and over the phone questions. Probably the only place I'll get my veneer at from now on.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
If you're willing to do the work, you can save a boat load by buying the smaller sheets and joining it yourself.

If you don't want to join it, occasionally there are a few sellers on eBay who will sell pre-jointed sheets (a.k.a. architectural layups), for far less than what most retail vendors will charge.

But if you go with a retail vendor for sheet veneer, I'd go with Tape Ease also.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
TapeEase is only about 20min from me here. I always get my veneer from them. Dave and Jeff are both very good to deal with.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for taking the time to reply, guys. I appreciate it.

Dan, I don't have a clue on how to join veener...I'm too much of a newb, I guess..:)

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Joining veneer is fairly easy, but there's a little work involved. You basically just cut the edges straight and tape the two pieces together. Here is my dissertation of making very straight cuts:

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/nt_vensplice.shtml

You then use veneer tape to join the two edges together. I haven't written this up yet, but you basically cut off two-inch pieces of veneer tape, and use them to make an "x" across the joint, putting an "x" every 4 inches or so. Then run a long piece lengthwise down the joint. Let it dry (veneer tape is water activated - I recommend a damp sponge because it's waaaaaaay too much to lick :). Then put it on the speaker using what ever method you choose and carefully trim it to the edges. After it's on the box, use a damp sponge to wet the tape and a paint scraper to get as much off as possible. Then sand off the little bit of tape that remains.

If you end up using a pre-jointed sheet, you might want to practice the technique on the scraps in case you want to try raw veneer in the future. Raw veneer is not only cheaper, but has much wider variety, is much thicker (less sand-through), and you can decide how to join the sheets to look best on your box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks