What's new

Upgrades! (1 Viewer)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Well I finally upgraded to a FP! It’s been something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I sold my 55” Mitsubishi on ebay and replaced it with a DIY 98” screen and a Sony VPL-HS20 LCD projector. The picture quality is incredible! I had some reservations about LCD vs. DLP but it turns out I really had nothing to worry about. I had also considered the Panasonic AE500 and the Sanyo Z2 but decided to go with the Sony after a lot of research. We a have a 16 year old Sony TV that still has a great picture for it’s age and one of the strongest tuners I’ve ever dealt with, so our experience with that TV helped us decide on the new PJ as well.

I’m considering a recessed pull down screen in the future and gray paint on the ceiling as well.

Click on my signature and let me know what you think.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Looks great, Frank! Congratulations on your new FP.

By the way, the THX audio on your website scares the bejeezus out of me every time I visit your site. :)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Frank,

Looks great...finally dove into the FP world...I was wondering when you were going to do that.

By the way how has the Anthem been treating you?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Chad,
Thanks! I really am enjoying it and so are my wife a kids.
So far the Anthem is working, but I still keep my fingers crossed every time I turn it on.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
The THX scared me too. my computer plays these midi web effects at very high levels.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
WOW finally .... every once in a while I find myself viewing your page .... It was a great theater ever since the Pioneer Elite you had in there .... Whenever I come by your page I always asked myself when and if this guy woud go Front projection.

Well there you go!!! Looks great Frank .... look forward to seeing more upgrades!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
FRANK!!!! You dirty little....aarrgh!! You were one of the last guys with a dedicated room and a rptv left with me. Now you've crossed over and left me alone in the group. How could you?:laugh:

Naw, all jokes aside, it looks great in there man, very nice upgrade. I still wait for the day to join the elite FP owners.

I will one day arise with my brethren to the glorious land of front projection. (and Neil will say "well it's about Gotd@mn time!"):D

CONGRATS BIG FRANK!:emoji_thumbsup:

BrianKR

Second Unit
Excellent setup Frank!:emoji_thumbsup:
I always thought your room looked awesome and now it's even better.
How audible is the noise from the fan on the HS20?
What did you make your screen out of?
Do you think purchasing a new screen will make a visual difference?

I am still in the researching stage of a FP and my biggest concern has always been how a FP will look with regular cable viewing. I don't want to get an FP that cant replace my RPTV completely for "all" uses.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Brian,
I know what you're going through, I was concerned about getting rid of my RPTV as well. I don't have any regrets at all. The picture isn't just bigger, it's a lot better! Keep in mind though that with the exception of 1 OTA-HD channel, all of my TV viewing is via DBS. If you are relying on OTA-SD you might not be as happy with the results. A bigger screen is going to greatly exaggerate any problems you now see on your RPTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks