What's new

Upgrading home theater (1 Viewer)

Salsashark

Auditioning
Real Name
Drew
We are slowly upgrading our surround sound but are not going too extravagant as we may move soon.

We currently have a Denon AVR540 receiver with very antiquated (25+ years) JBL 5 speakers w/subwoofer and it sounds terrible. The surround is not wireless - house came wired for sound and speakers are center, right, left, and two rear. There is a cable box and blue ray attached to receiver as well.

My questions are do we forgo the wired sound and go with a soundbar with wireless surround and ditch the receiver? And if so, where would the cable and blue ray connect? Do we also need to get same brand speakers if we do end up keeping the receiver?

I attempted to get help from Denon but all they tried to do was upsell me.

Thanks for any help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wireless speakers aren’t nearly the solution a lot of people expect. Since the room is wired, I’d stick with a receiver and regular speakers.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
In-wall speakers intrigue me.
Unless you are in a crammed location, soundbars are, yes, better than a TV's speakers, but ultimately sad. Sorry Denon was so unhelpful to you.

The Denon AVR540 seems to be a 2020 release, per Crutchfields. The receiver may be limited in the back via only up to 5.2 speakers, and no eARC, but it does have some good 5 inputs, and 4K support.
1711388385589.png

*What are your room's dimensions? + Room all enclosed or?
*What is the type & size of your TV, or a TV that you would plan to get?
*Generally, are you happy with the locations of each in-wall speaker?

* If so, how would you feel about replacing your old JBLs with new, fresh in-wall speakers?
* Would your TV fit well between the R C and Left in-wall speakers?
* Most in-wall speakers are awkwardly & tragically placed from original construction, that I've seen, but I always hold out hope!
* If you seriously think you'll be moving in the next 12+ months, then in-wall speakers may be a cost waste as they ordinarily don't add value to a home sale (unfair! but true).
*Highly encourage you to get 2 new sub woofers - let us know your plan for that.
*If you could post 4 or so pictures in this thread of the room, that could help, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks