What's new

Soundbar Replacement Advice (1 Viewer)

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
RE: those Monoprice Encore 5 series, they do seem great values, especially at their current clearance-like prices... and there are apparently still some additional coupons you can use for them -- I just recently bought a pair of T5s + C5 for a very modest 2ndary system for my home office space... and may or may not bother w/ a cheap sub like one of those Dayton ones or a Monoprice one (or maybe even 2) to be used w/ an old Yamaha AVR (that only ever used as prepro before).

There's a BIG30 coupon you can use w/ the C5 (to knock off another $30) on its own order plus I believe a fairly new(?), but expiring, blowout 25MP coupon you can probably use w/ a pair of T5s or B5s (to knock off another $25) -- not sure how reusable those coupon codes are though.

Another nice thing about those Encore series speakers is they're probably about as slim as you'll find for the quality they offer these days. And those T5s seem like a major steal at those prices (and the C5 too).

_Man_
I was looking around again this morning and I am considering the following:

Monolith M518HT THX
Monolith THX-365C
Denon AVR-X2700 or Onkyo TX-NR6100

Would that be a reasonable system? Am I forgetting/overlooking anything? With respect to the receivers, would one be preferred over the other? They seem very similar.
Thanks!

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Seems I missed the sale on the Monolith M518HT system.

Searching around this morning I am now considering the following:

ELAC Debut C6.2, B6.2, and SUB3010
Onkyo TX-NR6100

I understand this isn’t really comparable to the Monolith surround system, but would this be a reasonable alternative? ELAC is another brand I’m not familiar with but seems to have favorable reviews.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would think those ELACs are likely at least a tad better than the Monoprice set you were considering -- and they're currently on their usual, recurring sale.

However, I'd probably mate them w/ a SVS sub instead. There's also a fairly big SVS sale that ends tonight, especially if their original, entry level 1000 series suits you, but not only of course -- I'm actually tempted right now to order a pair of SB-1000s to overkill mate w/ my new T5's or something for my tiny home office space, LOL.

Oops! Sorry, I'm probably forgetting your budget, and any SVS sub on top of what you're currently considering will likely, utterly blow that.

_Man_

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems I missed the sale on the Monolith M518HT system.

Not sure what the previous sale price was that you missed, but that's back on sale now for just ~$385. Seems like a good bargain, if that set really suits you (mostly because of size/setup restrictions on top of budget constraints).

Also, not sure at all why you mentioned considering the THX-365C to go w/ that? Doesn't really make sense to me...

_Man_

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Yes, thanks! I’m currently trying to figure out the best receiver for me. I was targeting the Onkyo TX-NR7100 when it was on sale over Labor Day, but I was like a deer in headlights when I started to read reviews (seemed mixed). So I ended up missing the sale due to my hesitation. I figure receivers will go on sale again for Black Friday, so I’m trying to have my research done before then so I’m ready to make a decision at that time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, thanks! I’m currently trying to figure out the best receiver for me. I was targeting the Onkyo TX-NR7100 when it was on sale over Labor Day, but I was like a deer in headlights when I started to read reviews (seemed mixed). So I ended up missing the sale due to my hesitation. I figure receivers will go on sale again for Black Friday, so I’m trying to have my research done before then so I’m ready to make a decision at that time.

What happened to just going w/ a refurbed Denon 760H?

_Man_

Bvile

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
What happened to just going w/ a refurbed Denon 760H?

_Man_
I thought I needed to get something more robust for the surround sound system considering I might want to expand to an Atmos setup down the road. Maybe/likely I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks