What's new

Advice for replacing non-functioning Bose Lifestyle 48 5.1 (1 Viewer)

dem

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
We have a Bose with five cube speakers, wall mounted, wiring in the walls. We need to replace it and prefer a non-Bose product. We are looking for a minimum number of wires. One recommendation is to buy a Bluesound Pulse soundbar, perhaps with a wireless sub-woofer, perhaps with two wireless back speakers. Another recommendation to buy a Sennheiser soundbar. Both of these are in the mid to high price range, said to be good for music listening as well as surround-sound-like for movie watching. Does anyone have any experience with these? Also, if we go with another 5 speakers, does anyone know whether we can use the existing -n-wall wiring we have for the Bose speakers?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's really no reason I'm aware of you can't use the existing wiring. That's preferable to the other options you mentioned.

Do you have a target budget?

dem

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
There's really no reason I'm aware of you can't use the existing wiring. That's preferable to the other options you mentioned.

Do you have a target budget?

Were we to replace with Bose, the cost would be about $3500, so probably would be in the $4000 range.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Where are you located? Those definitely don't sound like US prices.

dem

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Where are you located? Those definitely don't sound like US prices.
In the US. Price is for the Bose Lifestyle 650. What we are looking for is a system good for both music listening and film watching/listening. My wife does not want a lot of visible wires, thus our desire to use existing in-wall wiring, and of course the speakers also are mounted on the wall so we would like the same if a wired system. An alternative could be some wireless system (plugging into outlets is not a problem).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Holy Smokes! I had no idea Bose had systems as high as $4K. You can do SO MUCH better for that much $.

I think your old cubes just used standard speaker wire,but you'll need to verify that it's just two wires to each speaker.

dem

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
In the US. Price is for the Bose Lifestyle 650. What we are looking for is a system good for both music listening and film watching/listening. My wife does not want a lot of visible wires, thus our desire to use existing in-wall wiring, and of course the speakers also are mounted on the wall so we would like the same if a wired system. An alternative could be some wireless system (plugging into outlets is not a problem).
I know that we can do better, but of course am more than willing to spend less if we can get good sound! We bought our current system 15 years ago. Just checked - 2 wires for each speaker. I'm into good sound, my wife into simplicity and not seeing wires all over. We have a BluRay player. The Bose had a CD player. Our TV also is 15 years old, so not smart. If necessary we would replace it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We can get you going. Bose wiring is still unusual, since everything is routed through the bass module. That will no longer be the case. There would normally be a wire to the new subwoofer, but there are options for that if it's really a no-go.

Bobd207s

Grip
Real Name
bob drugan
I highly recommend Aperion Audio speakers - great bang for the buck ! Great sound , high quality components and beautiful cabinets. Their subwoofers are excellent too ! I'm not sure what your budget is but Aperion is very flexible with configuring a system for you. Below is a link to one of their family of speakers - hope this helps

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I highly recommend Aperion Audio speakers - great bang for the buck ! Great sound , high quality components and beautiful cabinets. Their subwoofers are excellent too ! I'm not sure what your budget is but Aperion is very flexible with configuring a system for you. Below is a link to one of their family of speakers - hope this helps

There are many other companies you can look at, too, and I'm sure many will chime in. Speakers are very subjective, though, and highly recommend either listening before buying or find a company or retailer that has a very lenient return and exchange policy (including paying for return shipping).

I'm not entirely crazy about Aperion. Their blog posts are often misleading, and when I called them out on one of their posts on Facebook (which, BTW, had nothing to do with their own products but how the author quite obviously did not have his streaming device configured properly), the author turned around and fired a nasty shot at me and this forum.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My #1 recommendation for reasonably priced speakers is the ELAC Debut 2 line.

For a subwoofer, maybe the SVS SB-1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks